Several RX 6800 and 6800 XT series dying cases

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by residentour, Dec 25, 2020.

1. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have preordered and got my XFX Radeon 6800 XT on day one and it was working fine. After 9 days it started heavy artifacting. I had no OC, everything was default but all games started artifacting. Even it started to lock entire PC 1 day later. I RMAed the card and got a new one. So far it is fine but since then I was looking if there were any other cases. I have encountered 4 more cases:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6800xt-graphics-problem/td-p/432867

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6800-graphics-glitchs/td-p/433029

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx6800xt-flickering-lines-like-disco-ball/m-p/426980

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Who would have thought the gpus die.

GeniusPr0 and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A few, faulty hardware tends to die early though so at least it can be replaced without too much hassle.

EDIT:

Happened the last several gens for both AMD and NVIDIA.
    Less commons but happens on the CPU side too. (And the rest of the hardware too really, small percentage of defects after all.)

Not a new thing is what I'm saying, still terrible when it happens and when it's your own hardware purchase that is affected but it's a thing much as it sucks.

Best to get it replaced as soon as possible and have a replacement and that usually is that. :)

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I've had one GPU die on me. It was 4200 ti back in the day

5. MrSleezeBag1964

MrSleezeBag1964 Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6800 16 GB
    I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad Asrock Phantom 6800. I've never had any visual artifacts in game, however the card will cause a hard system crash, mobo VGA error light comes on, and then GPU fans will spike up to 100% (I'm assuming, they get really loud). I've reinstalled Radeon after using AMD cleanup utility, etc. I've never seen junction temp exceed 65°. Very weird.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    And this is probably the main reason why I will never give into scalpers. Paying £500+ OVER MSRP and then potentially having this crap happen to you. The RMA process would be a nightmare.

DanielRX and Maddness like this.
  7. Adam Kubicki

Adam Kubicki Guest

GPU:
    6900xt
    I have the same problem. After 14 days of using asrock 6900xt started show artifacts and driver stop working. Maybe all series has this problem.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    faulty cards either die in the first few weeks, or live a long life until they fail from age.

9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    That's what all cards do, faulty or not.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can have cards that have a particular defect which doesn't affect its 3D ability, but monitor compatibility, or how many lanes it can use might be reduced.

386SX and DannyD like this.

11. Cidious

Cidious Guest

GPU:
    6900XT + EKWB
    My RX6800XT Reference crapped out first day also. Black flickers and no more signal output after that. I got a new sample within a few days. That was the end of November (26th). Have had no issues since then.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I had 1 GPU die on me in the past. That was my old 4870x2 where the second GPU died. On the desktop everything was fine as only GPU1 was being used but once I entered a game that used both GPU's the whole screen would exhibit green dots all over the screen. I RMA'd it and had too wait nearly 10 days for it to be sent back to the manufacturer, tested, and then have another sent back too me.

Lets hope my new 6800XT Nitro+ holds up, at least I grabbed it close to MSRP so RMA'ing should be easy.... but the wait probably won't be.

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    I saw those *EXACT* same identical artifacting patterns on cards that were overclocked too high and were overheating.
    My r9 290X does that (that strange black flickering square thing) if you overclock to 1100 mhz if the core voltage is too low, in Valley Benchmark. Literally exact same type of artifact.
    I've seen that "red star" type artifact too...forgot if it was on a HD 7970 ghz edition or on the r9 290x...all from overclocking+overheating.
    Not sure about the "spear of death" artifacts...haven't seen those in very long time (But the last time I saw those, also was from too high of an overclock and overheat).

Did you guys try re-pasting your cards first? And while you're at it, remove the stock thermal pads and replace them with something decent. You'll have to get proper measurements; Arctic 1mm and 0.5mm pads have worked well for me on all AMD cards...(just buy both packages...if the pad turns out to be a 1.5mm pad, you can stack a 1 and a 0.5mm, until you order the proper 1.5mm). Might save you a RMA and a LOT of trouble if all it needs is proper thermal pads and a re-paste.

For paste, I highly suggest Thermalright TFX or TF8.

The prices are still highway robbery, though (except for the 0.5mm which dropped in price)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTLI4

These seem to be the same or similar, but you get a much larger pad if you get the giant size ones. Same w/mk. I can NOT vouch for the quality as I never purchased these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086VYKZN4/

They even have 200mm * 200mm giant sized pads but the 1mm thick version is out of stock.

14. Daniel West

Daniel West Guest

GPU:
    Xfx RX 6800 XT
    My first Xfx 6800 XT merc died in the first 6 days. My second died in 3 days, and I was lucky that I got another. Is this a known issue? Should I just stay away from amd this time around?

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Unlucky. Get another brand.

16. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    WoW this is a $1500+ GPU here in Australia and they're selling such F*!@ quality? - amazing!

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Heard a story of a guy who bought a 70k mercedes and it broke down 100km from a factory. They didnt fix it but gave him another car just becouse of that. crap happens.

PieEyedPiper likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's I think three of them too, it gets a bit confusing and at least two PCB designs are involved.

Let's see here.

Merc 319 Core
    Merc 319 Black

And I think there's one more.

PCB differences and such too there's one really good and then two that are a bit less although I would expect all of them to work they wouldn't be that heavily degraded.

EDIT: From here.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mbbqhl/be_carefull_if_you_plan_to_watercool_a_6800xt/

EDIT: Checked a few places.

Merc 319

Core
    Black

QICK 319

Black
    Ultra

Think that's it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Knock on wood my Asrock 6900xt Phantom Gaming has been thru hell and back ( overclocking under water chiller -21c + hard v.mods done with Elmor's evc2 ) and still alive and kicking on my rig just as brand new , is under fc block water cooling now.

Maybe a bad batch or something , just rma the card and hope for the best.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Mines going strong at 2750 core on air. I just set my own fan curve and let it do it's thing. I never saw temps go past 65-68C under load in newer games maxed.

GeniusPr0 likes this.