Your best headset

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by TaskMaster, Jun 11, 2019.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Understood, he asked for my specs, so was just answering his question. So can you explain to me exactly so I am not misunderstood here. You use HDMI to your PC and the DAC produces uncompressed 5.1 which in your opinion sounds better? I will have to try and test this out, but if i recall the optical sounds better (for me at least).

thanks.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Optical uses SPDIF which is limited to 2 channel PCM or compressed 5.1, either Dolby or DTS. Like I mentioned, you may not notice a difference.

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I use a Fiio E10k Amp+Dac and AKG K553 Pro headphones. I like the setup very much!

4. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried the two and for me the optical sounds far more superior in terms of overall sound quality i.e. clarity and immersion.

5. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Audeze Mobius.

Absolutely blew me out of the water, and my previous headset is a Beyerdynamic MMX300.
    That said, the MMX300 is wonderfull as well. Both are closed as well, which has it's own por's and cons.

Mobius does for me:
    - Single USB-C connection.
    - Soundquality is extremely good for being a gamer headset, Good mic as wlel, though a bit low on volume. Mic really needs the pop filter to shine though.
    - All in one system: With Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic you need a soundcard. Here, you don't and the system is all tuned.
    - Surroundsound was very good, High-Res mode does what it said and supports up to 24bit/96Hz.
    Can do so much more, but I barely use the other funcion.

MMX300 does for me:
    - Big fan of the DT770 line. Had one and the MXX300 is basically a DT700 with amic and optimised for positioning ( apparantly ).
    - THE BASSSS! The frequency is a V curve. High Lows and high highs. Most people think of it a s a 'fun' sound graph.
    - Need a seperate soundcard though, bleh.
    - Nice BIG connectors with adapters. Good if you pull the cables a lot, I guess?

They're expensive though.
    Also look into the Sennheiser Game Zero and Game One !

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    DT-770 Pro together with a mic coupled in between is way more cost efficent, optimised for position is just a buzzsentence.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hi,

posting here and asking you as a fellow Cloud II owner (and others):

I can't get the microphone to work when connecting with USB dongle to my desktop PC.
    Without the dongle when connected directly to laptop the mic works fine (Teams etc.).

Sound settings are ok as far as I can tell, both playback and recording devices are enabled (HyperX Virtual Surround) and set as default and mic access is allowed for all apps, but no sound is picked up.

Windows 10 build 19042.906. Using default Microsoft driver which auto-installed.

This topic was of little help:
    HyperX Support Technical (hyperxgaming.com)

EDIT: nevermind.... the 3,5 mm plug wasn't all the way down on the control box :oops:
    (they should probably add that as an item to the above FAQ for people with IQ smaller than shoesize such as me)

Since we are on the topic I was wholly impressed by Cloud II too.
    The USB sound card doesn't do the headphones any justice though, connecting direct to AE-5 made a world of difference.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Solfaur likes this.
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I primarily use speakers, but on headsets, it's all about comfort. My ears stick out a bit and if they touch the speakers at all, it gets tiring fast. I also just use them for gaming, not to listen to music.

For me, a simple Logitech G432 is great. It's comfortable, it's light, it's relatively cheap ($50) and the sound quality is good (enough).

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Currently switched to a Monolith M1070, and really enjoying those planars. :) Mic is a USB desktop mic on a gooseneck stand.

Mineria likes this.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    akg 612pro
    Never going back to heavy,closed headsets.those may sound more immersive but 612pro's are amazing in their own way.They're so light you can wear them for hours and the sound profile is very pleasantly neutral.the earcup covers the whole ear,so it rests comfortably on your head with just the right amount of force.

as for the sound,they are not heavy on the bass,but instrument separation is amazing.
    it's like the instruments,the voice and the bass finally sound like each was its own thing not fighting over which one is gonna player louder,which was my impression with gaming headphones.Just an absolute casserole of nonsense.

im using it with a fiio e10k dac,and while it has no problem driving the set to insane loudness levels,I am a complete noob when it comes to audio,idk if I chose the right profile.
    I wanted something that would give them a little warmth down and won't drive me insane with treble.I'm happy with the end result,but idk,maybe there's better ones.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The K612 Pro is a good set, AKG made a few alike with lower pricing which are rather good too, if price is an issue.
    I think most Studio headphones for around 200$ hit the sweet spot, from there pridces start to go up pretty steep before there are any noticeable improvements.

I just pulled the plug on a 600Ohm DT 880, was a bit nerveous if my soundcards could handle it, which they in a way couldn't, to my surprise my cheap Behringer HA6000 headphone amplifier does an excellent job.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    i use Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 Ω) for music and games and all fantastic:) before used razer and other crap gaming headsets :mad:never again buying gaming headsets :confused:

Mineria and cucaulay malkin like this.
  13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lightweight,big and open earcups,good neutral,linear sound with pretty good instrument separation.very pleasurable experience overall.they sound a little nasal but I hear that's often the case with akg.I would only consider trading this set for a higher model from the same series.

Mineria likes this.