Intels Raja Koduri gives sneak peek at Xe-HPG (DG2) gaming GPU in 3DMark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2021.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Even if it's really just as fast as 3070, this is great news for gamers.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Kevin Mauro, Evildead666 and Undying like this.
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I extrapolated the 80 core igpu performance and got just below RTX3070 performance for the 512 core card. Really, it's not bad for a first version.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It would be hilarious if Intel could pull something like this out of it´s ass but that is just too good to be true...

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    That'd be nice indeed, the primary worry I have for getting one is that Intel needs to prove they have good long term driver support.
    Intel does release security updates for many years (they have an official driver for Ivy Bridge IGP from 2020. Though the last driver for SB was the one provided with Win10 at release in 2015), but they don't care about supporting the new WDDM versions on anything but their latest IGPs.

I'd be willing to get a low end Intel card for HTPC though if it´s cheap, it's horrible that the GT 1030 still is the lowest modern card one can go for.

Stormyandcold likes this.

5. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I bet they will too late to join the party. There is a expected 4th quarter launch but nothing confirmed. More than a half year away. Mining won't last forever.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Intel mic-dropping a solid, mid-range candidate would have been awesome gaming news in olden times, when the GPU market was stable. But at this point, it's about as exciting as hearing about a new model from Ferrari.

7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Drivers is definitely the only thing that could scupper their gpus. I think it took around 3months for a working Cyberpunk 2077 driver and 1-2 months for Doom Eternal. They've got to work on their drivers faster than that if they want to stand a chance. This also means working closer with game devs, rather than the post-release situation we're seeing atm.

Evildead666 likes this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Would love to see Nvidia lose the gaming market to miners and Intel goes all in to take their place, incl engaging with game developers on a massive scale. Yes, fantasy scenario, but I can dream cant I? :D

DannyD likes this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    They've a huge opportunity here, just announce with your cards - zero mining, gaming/ 3D only, pure gaming cards and they'd win the money of many appreciative gamers.
    Hell in that case you could be a fanboy and proud!:D

DirtyMiners, Stormyandcold and alanm like this.
  10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    If Intel manages to release something faster then 3090 including ray tracing i will grab one for sure.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Are Intel drivers that bad? They had two driver teams at a point, and they do have the resources to write a much better driver than AMD, for example.
    The card probably won't have anything at all for ray tracing, but I can see them having some sort of tensor core hardware.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Current rocket lake drivers are a mess from what i've seen. Driver crashes and poor optimization ingames. Lowspecgamer especially pointed thst out in his gpd review getting an amd handheld ryzen apu resolved all the issues. It will take some time to be there with amd and nvidia.

Evildead666 and PrMinisterGR like this.
  13. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    The driver issues are news to me.
    I've never had a single issue with an intel driver in the past....no instability, etc...
    That said...my last intel system was from 2011 and built on a Biostar T-Power X79 motherboard.
    Years prior to that, I avoided AMD after buying an HD4850x2 which did not have proper drivers. It'd crash just looking at the card.
    I wound up sending it back to the retailer...took 'years' to become confident in AMD's stuff after that.
    If DG2 is remotely close to the 3070-3080 territory...and runs my games smoothly...and is decently priced, I will give it a 'go'.
    It does not have to be the outright fastest card framerate-wise...just smooth and quick.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Lets hope its not as good at mining as the 3070-3080.

Evildead666 likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    are we supposed to have super human eye to even be able to see this sneek peek of "3dmark" screen shot? cause that nothing but blurry mess. In the end it gona be come another GPU impossible to find cause mining, Seriously you cant find card atm even older gen ones, and when you do it 2x it actual price at very lest. less crippled the Hash rate 99% via Hardware (not Bios not Firmware not software drivers) which no business will do cause mining crazy sell out cards which all they are about.

Sad sad times of PC gamers and seem to heading down the road of getting worse, nvm effect of mining on worlds Power consumption that already pushing past it limits with out mining making thing much worse

16. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    It is being built by TSMC on their N6 node I believe. Doesn't this mean that it will basically be as limited in availability as other cards, and likely more so if it is going to be half decent at crypto mining?

Still good to get a decent third player in the market if they manage to deliver.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Very true, it's tough to get excited about new gpus right now.
    I'm worried this mining craze is gonna last a good while, these mining farms have invested lots of cash.

Evildead666 likes this.
  18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Well if it crashes, then maybe market will be flooded with a lot of cheap second hand cards...a man can dream

Undying likes this.
  19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There's no way I'd get a gpu that's been used 24/7 for mining. In-fact, I think it should be a legal requirement to disclose whether the card has been used for mining.

20. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    :D oh no....... :(

Hah kidding aside.

What I'm looking forward to are better thermal profiles and a smaller overall footprint as we have not seen that with NVIDIA the TGP and TDP for that matter (whichever term you fancy) or don't as they seem to become obfuscated a lot - have recently become quite high and many mobile solutions are getting harder to keep ever quieter and cooler. Heck, forget quiet just cool for that matter the RTX 3xxx series puts out a lot of heat regardless of the platform at present. I'm really looking forward to what Intel puts out. Their greatest challenge to be in the longrun. Software. Drivers.

Last edited: May 7, 2021