RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. adonay

adonay Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
  2. ogiebogie

ogiebogie Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900XT
    I have been wondering about that myself. I guess its possible to drain and add more to it but I have no idea if the pump could deal with adding a CPU block and another rad.
    It does have a what looks like a fill port at the top and a drain port on the bottom of the pump/res combo.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mgk9xx/new_amd_adrenalin_driver_adds_support_for_dirt_5s/

Wonder if AMD's putting out variants now without restrictions unless this is purely a custom card from one of the vendors.
    Heh, can't imagine Gigabyte or Power Color being too happy if AMD's making exceptions unless it's a new variant entirely for competing against NVIDIA's 3080Ti or something.

EDIT: Would be interesting if it could be reversed entirely from the bios though and AMD's lifting that restraint a bit allowing these higher-end custom boards to push farther showing what they can really do. :)

EDIT: Wonder if it's that one.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula-pictured

This could get interesting, still curious as to if models like the 319, Nitro or Toxic and the Red Devil would get updates too as I can imagine these board partners otherwise being a little bit none too happy with AMD making an exception now.
    (Still just speculation, will be really fun to see a unlocked GPU though and maybe others through non-restricted bios if updates will be made available as well for the existing cards.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    I have the Bykski block on my 6900xt very happy with it temps are great and gpu to junction delta is 5C.

5. adonay

adonay Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    Are the instructions on that block clear and do they provide the thermal pads in the kit?

6. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    The install was quite simple even without the somewhat vague instructions. The thermal pads were good quality and only required cutting to proper sizes required. I just used the old thermal pads from the air cooler as my guide for placement. The only caveat during install was to be very careful and apply extremely even clamping pressure to the gpu die as it could easily chip the corner of it if rushed and done carelessly. I did about at 20 increments of tightening the screws around the die and afterward realized it was a little excessive judging by the pcb distortion so be careful of total clamping pressure and it'll be fine. The block I got also included the backplate as well so added value for that.

7. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    I have RX 6900 XT ASUS TUF Gaming OC (2310 boost) and my system restarts during some demanding games and 3DMark's RayTracing benchmark even at default GPU settings, I tried to increase IO and SA voltage to 1.3 but nothing changed.

I thought it's a PSU issue (I have Corsair 1000w Platinum but still), but after increasing Power Limit to +15% and decreasing voltage from 1175mV to 1100mV no more restarts even during Ray Tracing benchmark! I don't know why my GPU is not stable while at default settings.

Anyone had similar experience?

8. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Two problems if anyone could help.

Does anyone here play Hunt: Showdown? I used to crash all the time but then just took of my VRAM OC and it stopped completely and now with the latest driver, though there has also been a big patch to the game, I am getting the crash again. My screen goes black and I can hear the world sounds still but I cannot hear my friend on discord and he cannot hear me. The sounds persist for about 5-10 seconds and then a hear a quick BSOD sound and the GPU fans ramp to 100% and my motherboard LED displays D6 which means "no console output found" and I have to either hold down the power button on the case for a few seconds to hard shutdown or flip the switch on the PSU. There is no error in the event viewer so windows is logging nothing. I just hope this isn't the dreaded transient power spike issue cropping up.

I have another problem since I got this card. When my monitor goes to sleep it does so for a minute or two and then it wakes up with the LED turning on in the back and display flashes "DisplayPort" like it is looking for a signal a few times and then it goes back to sleep and it repeats this process until the computer goes sleep. This problem has been there since I got the card. My old RTX 2080 had zero issues with monitor sleep so it must be the card.

Windows 10 Pro X64 20H2
    Using 21.3.2 drivers / MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio

I think this has to do with transient power spikes from the bad AMD VBIOS that has shipped with all cards. Increasing the power limit should only make the issue worse as it pulls more power from the card. If you take the power limit all the way down and try underclocking the card it may help until AMD comes out with a VBIOS that isn't broken. I spoke to people at MSI and they confirmed that the AMD VBIOS is the culprit and they are waiting on AMD for a fixed version from them. I was the one that wrote the original post on raising IO and SA voltages which seems to stabalize things for the most part but it cannot make up for the card spiking in power and trying to draw way too much power which trips the PSU into thinking there is a problem and cutting off the card which results in a black screen and a need for a hard reboot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    apart from the drivers/adrenaline controls, what else is running?

10. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Steam and the Soundblaster AE-5 control panel. In fact, I am running less in the background since I got this 6800 XT as I used to run Afterburner and RTSS to overclock it. I went from being able to sleep fine with the RTX 2080 to having the issues the second I put the RX 6800 XT in as I really don't think third-party software has anything to do with it.

11. Scoty

Scoty Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4070 T
    Does anyone have experience with the 6700 XT Hellhound?

12. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Has anyone manage to get a 6900xt bios to work on a 6800xt?

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    IMHO (and again - only my personal opinion) it doesn't make sense.... as :
    1 - you can't unlock extra CUs
    2 - raising the limits with MPT + Wattman is more than enough

MPT+Wattman limits the 6800xt to 2150 on mem (no diff to 6900xt) and 2800 on core (6900xt has 3000). The 2800 limit is nearly never reached (99.99999% of cases, even under water with custom loops&waterblock) and even if a few titanium samples would reach above 2800 the gain vs power envelope and temps would be unsustainable and completely bonkers....

So what kind of other benefits (If any) are you expecting/hoping for if a theoretical flash would be possible and working ?

JonasBeckman likes this.
  14. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Mine is stuck at 2600mhz, was just asking because maybe with the extra voltage I can get a bit more out of it.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The GPU's have a bit of a variance to them, my own 6800 ranges from a maximum of 2300 but can go up to 2500 depending on the work it has to do letting it boost a bit or capping out early though still a bit above the default GPU clock speed, AMD's little differences and restrictions also hinder things but at least More Power Tool lets you fine tune the wattage letting the GPU boost at least a bit more and then tuning of the voltages might avoid hitting some of the various thresholds though the GPU could also be in need of more and since that is locked there's not much to do with that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/230802/amd-rx6800-16384-201007

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/230803/amd-rx6800xt-16384-201007

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/230799/amd-rx6900xt-16384-201104

There's a couple of little differences between the 6800XT and 6900XT (Plus the 6800 but since it's a bit scaled down that one was expected.)

Would be neat if flashing the higher limits would work, might not be possible to get the 6900XT boosted any higher but the 6800XT would probably benefit from some of these but instead the drivers restrict the clock speeds to ~500 - 500 Mhz and it just doesn't work if you hit any of those restrictions.

A few things work at least. :)

EDIT: It's also interesting that the power limit minimum differs and AMD could have allowed a bit higher on the maximum 25% or so would probably have made a bit of a difference stabilizing the boost speeds just a little bit higher without additional tweaking.

The rest isn't too different though the GPU amperage and the GPU voltage gets a little nudge on the 6900XT too with a extra 20 and 25 respectively.
    (And then the 3000 versus 2800 maximum boost clock if getting above 2800 is doable outside of short bursts under less demanding GPU conditions.)

Would have expected a higher power draw default on the 6900XT too instead it gets the same 255W target, bit more might have worked without hitting the limits of what 2x 8-pin and the PCI-E can feed the card under standard conditions.
    (280W perhaps keeping it below 300 plus the rest of the card keeping it below the 375W threshold bit on the safe side and keeping that 15% extra from the power draw slider in mind.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    The_Amazing_X likes this.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Why don't you use MPT and Soft Powerplay tables ? With that you can increase the power limits FAR above the physical limits of any 2x 8 Pin + PCIe Spec ---> (2x 150W + 75 from PCIex). I would suggest to increase the Power total in MPT from
    Power Limit
    Total: 255 W
    GPU: 300 A
    SOC: 55 A

to

Power Limit
    Total: 280 W
    GPU: 320 A
    SOC: 60 A

And see if this allows you to get higher. Don't forget that the "Total" is actually GPU only, add to it ca 45-50 W for VRMs, Memory etc.. Plus don't forget Wattman with up to 15% on top of it. That is why I say 280 is max safe for 2x 8pin card (there are versions with 3x 8pin where this doesn't apply) as --- 280W + 15% + 50W = 322 + 50 = 372W from max 375 of 2x 8pin + PCIex.
    Plus don't forget to uV in Wattman too !

17. gfxzett

gfxzett Guest

GPU:
    6900XT MERC BLACK
    Hi guys, some results and settings from my 6900 XT / 9990k system (both aircooled):
    RAM: 3600-CL16 | Resizable BAR: On | SOC: undervolted @ 1.0v
    upload_2021-4-11_14-20-45.png

Attached Files:

ogiebogie and jimpsar like this.
  18. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    We need a 6900xt ultimate bios on a 6800xt :) that extra voltage on water will be nice.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TaraRead and JonasBeckman like this.
  20. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    JonasBeckman and chispy like this.