RTSS Overlay Editor Megathread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Haldi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Taxxor

Taxxor Member

GPU:
    RX5700XT Nitro+
    "On-Screen Display Support" does that, it's independend for each profile and if disabled the overlay won't show on these apps.
    I use it to disable the overlay in iCUE and Teamspeak for example

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Lagahan

Lagahan Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    Is it possible to increase the refresh period of some of the data in the new overlay? I have Afterburner updating every 250ms but the new overlay only updates every 1000ms. The refresh period field in the layer doesn't seem to do it.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Layer refresh period is not intended for that, it doesn’t affect each data source refresh rate because the same source can be referenced in multiple different layers. Layer refresh rate is intended for animations driven by timer. All data sources share the same global refresh rate and it is defined inside the layout properties.

lifexstyle and Lagahan like this.
  4. Lagahan

Lagahan Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    Ahh, found it in the layout properties; thanks this is what I wanted!

5. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tell me how to make an inscription after the value of units in superscript?

6. Unwinder

Positive size attribute for any text item is superscript, negative one is subscript.

7. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Unwinder, this is understandable. I meant what hypertext code to apply, but I already figured it out. (<FRMIN><S1><C2> min<C><S>)

i9.png

8. Unwinder

Such approach may not work if you alter your layout a bit. You are using <S2> tag to apply the text size stored into the third (variable indices are zero based) size variable, but you cannot expect it always to contain your desired superscript size. Color/size/alignment variable libraries are built dynamically by hypertext optimizer depending on whole layout contents. So it it better to use explicit size tag instead, for example <S=50>.

ParKur likes this.
  9. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the detailed answer. Is there any documentation that describes the hypertext tags used?

10. Unwinder

I do not assume that end users edit the hypertext at low level, it is software developer related functionality and for such target audience it is documented in SDK, which includes full commented OverlayEditor source code.

11. camaradesol

camaradesol Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 2133Mhz 16GB
    is it possible to make the text change its color depending on the numerical value? For example, 100% CPU load is red, 30% is green, etc., it would be cool for the color to smoothly change across the color palette

12. Unwinder

I do not find it cool. Quite opposite, I find it pretty annoying to see overlay flashing like an XMas tree. It is possible to acheive it with alerts in native MSI AB overlay layout editor, but it was not too popular feature so I didn't port such functionality to OverlayEditor and most likely never will.

Haldi and Dan Longman like this.
  13. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    I must say that I was very happy when I finally found this feature in AB. The reason is simple. When you have some lag, you look on the data and immediately you can see, what cause the bottleneck...

14. pxds

pxds Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 OC
    My Overlay editor shows no data source from HWiNFO64, only from HAL. Do i need to turn on an extra option on HWi? If i enable OSD on any sensor it works just fine, but still doesn't show as data sources.

upload_2021-4-2_18-49-8.png

EDIT: found out that you have to enable Shared Memory (SHM) on HWiNFO64 7.00 every 12h unless you pay for the pro version, bummer.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  15. Unwinder

It will change with 7.3.2 beta 2. Quote from the release notes:

· Slightly altered geometry batching implementation in On-Screen Display renderer. Previously RivaTuner Statistics Server internally represented On-Screen Display contents as a few uber batches, containing all On-Screen Display geometry grouped by primitive type (for example, the first batch containing triangles representing all On-Screen Display symbols, solid color bars, and embedded images and the second batch containing all lines used to render all graphs). Such batching provides optimal rendering performance and minimizes draw calls count and rendering pipeline state changes. With such implementation it was possible to render On-Screen Display contents in expected Z-order for the same type of graphics primitives (e.g. for text, images or solid color bars), but line primitives were always rendered on top of everything. New altered geometry batching implementation allows splitting uber batches on smaller batches, so it is now possible to render both lines and triangle primitives in expected Z-order. Please take a note that batches splitting mode is enabled by default, but power users may enable old uber batch rendering mode at profile level if necessary

Haldi likes this.

16. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    Is it possible to have multiple values in one layer align to the same side? It seems like only the first value uses the altered alignment and the rest just use the default left alignment.

For instance, I want to have multiple CPU usage numbers in one layer and align them to the right, so I did this:
    [​IMG]

But it looks like this in the editor afterwards:
    [​IMG]

17. Unwinder

Tabulation symbol, LF/newline symbol, new alignment or position tag are expected to finalize current alignment block by design of hypertext.

18. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    I forgot that you could have the full hypertext open while editing. After taking a look at that I was able to sort it out by adding more alignment tags.

19. Unwinder

If you do it this way (i.e. manually specify alignment tag after each newline symbol), it is better to use explicit alignment tag (i.e. <A=-4>) instead of reusing alignment variable (i.e. <A[VAR_INDEx]>). Variables list is dynamic, it is built during hypertext optimization stage depending on OSD contents and may change if you add or remove layers.

20. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Why exactly do you use seperate Hypertext and not a Table?

upload_2021-4-11_18-9-48.png

Andy_K likes this.