Black screen when gaming?...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Montville, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Yes, I am affected by this problem - within 1-2 minutes into FC4 goes black and it has nothing to do with Enhanced Sync! Bravo!

1. Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.

gimme a fix now....

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Fix right now for you is to stop playing FC4.

But if you want something, you should give something. Like relevant information. Screen type, connection, connection settings. (Including syncing method.)
    Game settings, like windowed/borderless-fullscreen-window/fullscreen.
    GPU statistics captured via GPUz. (Keep logging even 30seconds after BS occurs.)

3. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Why is this suddenly relevant after all those years?
    4k screen/ DP connection/ always full screen while gaming

sync method? .. this problem is unaffected by advanced sync on/off

GPU capture comes later...okay no txt/zip files permitted

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, is your problem new or old? If it is old, then your tone turned your post into nothing more than empty rant as you gave out false sense of urgency.

IIRC, you did similar things in quite a few driver threads too. Yet I have trouble remembering if you ever followed anyone's instructions.
    - - - -
    So, back to drawing table. V-Sync, Freesync. Have you tried windowed and borderless window modes? Because those should not have this issue.
    Everyone who noticed that Windows 10 has dwm is evading anything that tries to run exclusive-fullscreen mode as those things never worked together nicely.

Since you are running 4K resolution, that's a lot of bandwidth for 60hz. Cable quality is important, as well as length and other cables it goes around. Same applies to different ports. Issue may not exist on HDMI for given card.

Logs can help determine what is GPU doing during time screen is black.

And for other things which are important. (Like very important information.) Does black screen recover itself in few seconds, or does it remain black till you turn OFF and ON screen again? Or does it remain black indefinitely?

Montville likes this.

5. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    So, is your problem new or old?

New problem with latest driver - returned to .2.2 but the same problem
    Basically I cant play any FC3/4 ... all the same issue. I even reinstalled win10 from scratch!

Have you tried windowed and borderless window modes

tried borderless but it's the same

Same applies to different ports. Issue may not exist on HDMI for given card.

I am on DP and run this game since years without issues - why now

Does black screen recover itself in few seconds, or does it remain black till you turn OFF and ON screen again?

The black screen needs a sys reboot to revive the system

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Part where issue is introduced in newest driver, but does not go away with clean OS install that uses older driver is kind of unusual.

DP vs HDMI question as all others is to determine where is root cause of your issue.

Would Black screen be recoverable, or monitor connection dependent, it could hint electrical/EM issue in between PC and monitor.

But given that issue persists even after you reverted your OS+Driver in state where it previously worked, I would point more on graphics card itself.

Did you manage to put GPUz logs somewhere? Or at least check them yourself.
    - Does log ends at time of black screen?
    - does it continue with GPU having unchanged utilization and clock?
    - does GPU utilization drop?
    - - - -

Did you by chance used DDU or clean install method for that new driver which started to misbehave? Maybe you used to have some custom settings in "Radeon Settings" that prevented this issue. That could explain issue continuing after clean OS + Older Driver installation.

Montville likes this.
  7. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    I prefer to wait until this problem is fixed instead of suspecting my hardware

Attached Files:

The Creator likes this.
  8. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    A buddy of mine had a DP cable go out on him, was giving him black screens all the time - he switched to a HDMI cable and the problem went away (for testing). Then he went out and bought a new DP cable - and all was well.

Montville likes this.
  9. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Okay, ArgonV, I test this today

Ed: Doom Eternal works fine - no issues

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  10. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    To close this topic culprit was the system's psu causing intermittent buzzing black screens - replacing the old ~650 psu with a bigger 850w one fixed this issue.

Fox2232 and Undying like this.