GeForce GTX 1080 Ti resurrected from the dead?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And yes, we do mean that literally, as the GPU has been declared end-of-life for a long time already. But, much like the production ramp-up for 1050 Ti and RTX 2060, the GTX 1080 Ti might be revived...

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti resurrected from the dead?

SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    was the vendor mentioned?

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If i can get that for 450 euros new i will snatch it in a heartbeat ! :p

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was a 450Euros before mining craze started. If only i could call myself in the past.

anticupidon likes this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wasn't this the point of the founders edition in the first place? That it would receive long term support and continued to be produced longer, to the same spec, throughout the products lifecycle?

Edit:
    Yeah I remember now - the OEMs requested the FE in the first place because when you build a machine and 3 years later the GPU explodes, and you go back to say EVGA and request another part - they basically give you anything they have on the shelf, which may be a completely different design and impact cooling/performance of the system. The OEMs wanted a part they knew Nvidia would continue to produce to the same specification and have it for the support lifecycle of the card. The FE cards are basically what came of that.

I wonder if Nvidia is contractually obligated to supply them for a certain number of years and that's what happened here?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Fox2232 likes this.
  6. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Back into the future Nvidia!!

Maybe will see a brand new 7800 GTX soon. Good times!

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Not new, im pretty sure the FE came out at around £700 and went up in price shortly after.

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    omg someone is selling his used 1080ti for 1200$ here >< I guess I need to put the stock cooler back on and sell mine altough not for that stupid price
    they seem to have at least 85 6700XT ready to be sold on 30.04 for around 770€ (we have lower VAT than the UE) and it's a way better card in 2021 (they will be gone in an instant I'm sure)
    edit : people selling a 1070 for 850$ really ? k I'm going to stop checking this is annoying

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I wanted this card for such a long time lol. It's still a decent card and up until about a year ago was still going toe to toe with the new cards (2000 series) until the 3000 series released.

I hate to say it, but, there's definitely a market for this card RIGHT NOW. Everything is getting scalped and gobbled-up with no end in sight of these shortages.

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The dead horse has been flogged so much that it has been ground to dust.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

I paid $389 for my 5700XT. Ive seen them selling for $1000-$1200 used.

What in the hell is going on besides the morning greed? Say a 1070 for $600 recently.

This is why I put a water block on my 5700xt and did a custom loop with my 2700x. Im prolly gonna be on them till 2022 sometime.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    My cute lovely 1070Ti.....

Once put it on auction....

Wont leave my rig.....for NOW

13. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    I still use my Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme and it's a beast (apart form ray tracing). Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p all maxed out (including AA) makes really a lot of FPS!

14. morpheus9394

morpheus9394 Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 1GB
    I wouldn't selling my 1080ti. It is still a VERY capable GPU. On my rig I can run most games at 4K60 at Ultra or High settings with only slight adjustments (usually knocking AA down to low helps)
    Ray tracing is just too resource heavy for even for 3090 at the same settings. Because the PS5 and XBX and AMD cards are not great at ray tracing, I can't see a ton of games fully support RT fully for a while, so no need to rush.
    Maybe wait for the 4000 series, which will no doubt be announced later this year.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    */looks desperately to his RX580 XFX8GB OC Edition
    "Don't ever think about giving me even a small hiccup or kernel panic, we are in this together!".
    "This is NOT the time to buy a GPU, and you know it!"

/
    Breathes slowly, without taking eyes from then GPU.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Always remember that ads featuring irrational sale prices don't denote buyers! Looks like my 5700XT will continue to give great service for a while yet. So if AMD begins making and selling RX-580s and/or 5700's again, we can be confident that yield issues have caused the current problems for both companies. I think that's obvious, myself.

17. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Miners. Miners will pay whatever amount if it's profitable. If a GPU can break even in 6 months from mining, they will buy it. The 5700 xt mines about $5.50 a day, so in 6 months thats $990 profit from mining. THATS why GPU's are so expensive now.

18. Godeau

Godeau Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GP
    They can call this the 1080 ti remastered edition.

RavenMaster and Solfaur like this.
  19. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I've always wondered why they don't continue old easier to produce SKUs sometimes since the rnd and everything else is already established its like free money for them even if they sell it for a lower margin.

20. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Still have my Asus 1080ti Strix OC. Best GPU and card overall I ever had and still play most recent AAA games 1440p 144Hz with reasonable settings.

cucaulay malkin likes this.