3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Thinking of doing the same for my 3090 FE. Did you replace the pads on both sides of the PCB? If so, what thermal paste did you use on the GPU die?

2. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    I replaced them all with those thermalright pads 1.5mm and I used Thermalright TF8 Thermal Compound Paste 13.8 W/mK on the gpu die

Whiplashwang likes this.
  3. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Did you spread the paste over the die with the spatula or use the X and four dots application? I'm not sure which method is best.

4. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    I did the X and 4 dots on mine

Whiplashwang likes this.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Best mod which you can do on your stock RTX 3090 or 3080 is replacing stock thermal pads for something like Thermalright Odyssey or Gelid Extreme pads, on stock cooler you can see up to 30°C lower VRAM temperatures

I done it on my friend RTX 3090 and right now he is getting 75°C VRAM temperatures under heavy gaming or rendering or mining

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Whiplashwang likes this.
  6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Will the 3090 benefit more from Resizable Bar because of the 24gigs of vram and speed of the vram?

I was just wondering if it will be better on 3090 over a 3070/80.

7. TecHunter

TecHunter Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3090 EKWB
    I can't, there is no BIOS update for this one. I've called US/global support and they said since I'm in EU they can't help. I called EU support they automatically hung up saying I need to reach support.asus.com which doesn't exist or its the global support so I already called them.... So I wrote an email.
    Very disappointed :(

novator likes this.
  8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Checking the support site, there seems to be a ReBar vBIOS Update for your card. But I guess you've already tried that.

Otherwise you could try to use nvflash (you need one with the ability to disable protection) to manually flash a vBIOS with Resizable BAR Enabled for a different card (a regular Strix version is probably a good start, although you could probably try a vBIOS from a different manufacturer of a 3x8pin card as well), or if you can't find one, flash the regular Strix BIOS and use the vBIOS Update tool for that one.

Here's how to use nvflash to flash your card (use a command prompt in Administrator Mode):
    Code:
    nvflash.exe --protectoff
    nvflash.exe -6 <FileName>.rom
    Don't forget to backup your original vBIOS first!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    novator likes this.
  9. TecHunter

TecHunter Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3090 EKWB
    The package doesn't have the BIOS for 94.02.42.00.AS13 (which is the EK version of 3090). I don't want to force flash my brand new card on an AMD platform (no spare VGA card or video output).

novator likes this.
  10. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    installed the resBAR vbios few days ago, I noticed an improvement in the average and expecially in the minimum fps, it's a lot more stable with less stuttering

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    BIOS

naming and numbering scheme.
    for my 3090's FE.

What is the latest bios in the scheme, because the naming convention doesn't help me and all the bios dates say Sep1, 2020.

94.02.27.00.0a (the one the cards came with)

94.02.32.00.02 (all my cards are now on tis one)

94.02.4b.00.0b ?

I'm trying to figure out where in the order is the 4b bios

thx in advance

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well i haven't had my 3090 yet but at least with Gigabyte Cards it's an easy process.

F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9. >ReBar is F3.
    F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19. >ReBar is F12.
    F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29. > doesn't show any F20 bios updates.
    F60, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F61-F69. >ReBar is F61.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gigabyte release numbering is not consistent with nvidia Vbios versions, nor are they comparable, use gpu-z to see the actual vbios version.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    For those wondering how to get the Vbios version through GPU-Z you just go to the Advanced Tab and search under NVIDIA BIOS and you'll see something like this->

Message GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD_P/F42 and thats the version needed to update F40-49. If i remember correctly mine was F40 when i got it and i flashed it to F42.

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I think I will be buying Bykski N-RTX3090H-TC for my RTX 3090 GamingPro's, they are coming with active backplate, literally can't wait to test them

Price is £120-£130

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Awesome. I hope they'll make one with active backplate for the 3090 Strix, too.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I'm expecting they will make waterblocks for most of the GPUs like last time

Maybe with bit of luck I will get Strix as well but with current prices and availability I'm happy with GamingPro's hahaha

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    I did flash the Asus tuf 3090 oc with the Resizable BAR bios now it is version 94.02.42.00.B4
    I see in gpu-z Resizable BAR disabled and that is it.
    I still need a bios for my motherboard Asus prime Z390 A.
    Is this version 94.02.42.00.B4 the right version ?

19. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I was looking for the best way to stress the GPU core as well as VRAM and the best gaming method I found is Quake II RTX, max settings at 4K. While playing this game, my vram can still max out at 100C and the GPU maxes out at 72C. Has anyone else tried this method to see where their temps settle? Also, I was only playing the demo from steam. No need to buy the full game.

chr!s and Cave Waverider like this.
  20. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    I finally got my 3090.. It's Gigabyte Gaming OC, the card is very quiet, at default settings it hits 68* C max, hot spot around 76* C, and 88* C for memory, those temps are during benchmarks tho..
    However while gaming in 4K with RT and DLSS on it's worse, for example Cyberpunk at ultra settings with RT, my GPU hits 70* C for core, 80* C hot spot and even 95* C for memory, GPU is not overclocked - all default settings.
    I should mention that I have latest BIOS with REBAR enabled.

Is this okay for long term use?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021