Review: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (reference)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    everyone said 2500k to 3570k was a sidegrade but I did see a difference.not enough though to deal wiht this massive overhead.
    2500k 4.9G would drop below 50 fps, 3570k was better but still under 55 when there was action.Lowering settings didn't help much and I didn't even want to cause outside of ouposts I was getting over 70 fps.

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, that's cool, I can live with the fact that the latest Intel CPUs would give me greater performance than my overclocked 6700K in CPU limited games, that's a given, just I wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get less fps vs my GTX 1070 in CPU limited games, but it sounds like that won't happen, so I'm pleased about that.....although reality is I'll be surprised if my 3080 ever turns up!

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Once you are in queue at some reliable retailer, you'll get your card. I hope you'll get it soon.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks man, the problem is though that the retailer are making noises in the forums that they might need to offer full refunds at some point rather than getting all the cards out, as they're simply not getting enough stock. It's overclockers.co.uk. They were advertising that they're the UK's biggest supplier of NVidia cards, but they kept the order system open for way too long for the first days after launch so they ended up with thousands of orders queued up......I'm in the low 400's in the queue for an Asus TUF 3080 non OC, but in like the last month they've only shipped 5 cards (something like that) - they keep saying they simply can't get stock, they say it's out of their hands. I suppose they could buy cards at scalper prices, but the differential is too large vs what customers have paid, and they're not getting hardly any 3080's from their normal distributors. You used the words "reliable retailer", well they are supposed to be a reliable retailer....but they seem to be flaking in the wake of this crisis, mind you I think other retailers are in the same position.

Dazz likes this.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Totally agree with you, my nephew ordered the same card from the same vendor. Still waiting, about a month ago or so he was like 600 in the queue or something and he ordered on launch day LOL. Supply is pathetic.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's really unfortunate, I just read an article this morning, and apparently Foxconn thinks the chip shortages are gonna last until mid 2022! Could it be that I'll have kept my GTX 1070 from Nov 2016 through to July 2022 - nearly 6 yrs!
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Foxco...-remain-until-at-least-mid-2022.530425.0.html

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's exactly the kind of time frame I was talking about in post 206

p.s. with RBAR, the situation to get maximum performance has changed, so, imho any serious gpu upgrade like an RTX3080 should be paired with a system that supports RBAR. In this context, I think older systems is really kind of irrelevant. I'm sure most lower-end gamers putting an RTX3080 into their system are already aware that they're not getting anywhere near full performance and the logical next step is a mobo+cpu+memory system upgrade, which might even include a new power supply, so, it's almost a new build.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Althought RBAR is about 3% performance from a review I saw, so that's not really significant. I will be needing a CPU upgrade soon though, so yeah that means a new mobo, but I'd be OK with an RTX 3080 with my current CPU, for the time being.

Stormyandcold likes this.