Intel Core i9-11900K processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    you on that 10500 ?
    I got a 10700f and I'm very happy with what I got for 250eur.
    for 360 eur you can get a 10850k,forget the 11700kf.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    RL has always had a Prescott vibe to me. This feels more like a Prescott - Northwood situation all over again. I just hope Alder Lake won't turn into another Tualatin and Willamette.

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Looks like they snipped 2 cores from the I9 and enabled PCIe 4 at about the same performance as the gen before.
    Then raised the price for the most part.

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Add that extra power draw for no reason

5. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    11400F is twice cheaper than 5600X here. Moreover 11700F is just a little more expensive than 5600X. 11400F is in fact best budget to mainstream gaming CPU.

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm reminded of the Pentium 4 days - Prescott, more affectionally known as "Pres-hot".

It's impressive that these chips can handle so much power but that's as far as being impressed goes. Sadly, all Intel can do is flex their financial position and leverage lower prices for these rather all or nothing CPUs although the price for this CPU.... is not good either... Another $90 for something that you're going to also need to invest upto $200 in performance cooling to be able to achieve those competitive results...

I'm also of the sentiment that it shouldn't have received the "recommended" badge, the overall article doesn't seem to suggest that this is indeed a recommended CPU... Maybe approved at most :/ Heck, that final sentence - only recommended if you can handle the power and heat... That suggests that this isn't something that everyone can handle...

I'm am sorry to criticise this review Hilbert, it just seems like mixed signals are being sent in this review.

7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Do people really pay attention to the award? I dunno, maybe those who don't actually read his articles do, but then why bother? I've always assumed the "recommended" award was a participation trophy. The "highly recommended" parts were the ones Hilbert actually thought were good.

8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Looks like I unlocked my 11900k with some faster memory ;)

CB20 5250mhz 125bclk 5000c17 MULTI.png

Cpu-z bench.png CB20 single and multi 5000c17.png

Noisiv likes this.
  9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It's a disappointing product requiring stupid cooling and it seems ultra fast memory to get everything out of it. Not worth it. But well if you got the money and want to tinker it seems decent enough.

Intels old series seems like a best buy at lower end currently easily. While AMD dominates from 10+ cores onwards. 5800x vs 10700k might be a bit of an stretch. AMD really needs a 5800 there or 5700x.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Bulldozer lost some execution capacity vs Thuban, so yeah the thuban design was stronger than Bulldozer for single and threaded tasks up to 6 threads.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Rocketlake is just crazy with Asus Apex :)

-Tj- likes this.
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I tried 540 on cometlake at 4000mhz 1.40v and it didnt play so nice, default is 630. Do I need more ram voltage for that?

Atm im playing at 4237mhz cl16 1.45v and its ok, but i kept trfc stock and mobo set to 728. Whay do you think, could I use lower?

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If you have b-die, you need like
    1.25-1.3v VCCSA
    1.20-1.25v VCCIO
    1.4-1.5vdram (depends on bin of the dimms) And hold it under 45c :)

-Tj- likes this.

16. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Indeed, this is Intel's Prescott for 2021

If you look at Anandtech's review here

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1230

The front page and conclusion page are like a time machine into the present day. The $1100 Prescott makes the current one seem cheap.

I love Anands optimism with it "Given that we’re at the very beginning of the 90nm ramp and we are already within reach of 4GHz, it isn’t too far fetched that Prescott will reach 5GHz if necessary next year."

They didn't even get as far as 4Ghz. Then after being kicked by AMD they brought out Dothan as a taster, a far better chip designed for laptops. Back in the day I sent 2 DFI motherboards over to the USA for a young overclocker called KingPin to try out, he was chasing Macci at the time on benching.

Then Conroe came out and the rest is history, or it was for AMD until Zen popped up ...

Got to luv a good battle.

17. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Given the above Intel have on the hardware side gone sideways over the last generation and the increased IPC is offset with seemingly lower overclocking, more power and cooling needed and some stability issues with the 11900k, perhaps due to this very late introduced new boost function.

If I was Hilbert I would not give it a recommended, Hilbert, you need to toughen up on recommended. At least for the casual reader. Even if you say not recommended it is mild compared to what Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed have said this week.

Where I think Hilbert is too kind I think equally those two youtube " for the kidz" channels have been too harsh.

The actual main problem with the Rocket lake is not the performance as such, but the pricing level. As an analogy, Intel have decided to price this at Bell X15 performance levels over the last version.

Every 10xxxx series is value for money now in comparison. If Intel had this at last generation prices then the amount of flak would be a lot less. They seem to be trying to pay for their development cycle by adding $$ more. They are not currently in a position to do this. Ask AMD how to work in the zone of not much light at the end of the tunnel, they have had years of it.

You'd think that would be obvious wouldn't you? Not to Intel it seems.

jura11 and kapu like this.
  18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,its just a 2020/2021 thing from Intel.Lets move along. :)

[​IMG]

19. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    These memes are becoming tiresome to look at already.... such is the regurgitation of someone else's 20seconds of work rather than putting in a valid viewpoint with some thought ...

such is Generation A or Millennial or anyone who cannot think for themselves and have to just cut and paste ...

Says me, Generation X, who had to set the IRQ on a sound card by using a jumper ... :p

20. NiceHair

NiceHair Guest

GPU:
    evga 980 ti ftw
    Rocket Lake is a big April Fool Joke ;)