Samsung Neo QLED 8K TVs Get Wi-Fi 6E Certifiied

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the LG leading the tv industry? Samsung is so full of it.

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    What doesn't neo stand for? As if QLED wasn't confusing enough

4. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Neo QLED is the new Mini-LED back-lighting. Basically a lot more dimming zones.. Around 700 or so for the panel.

I just don't get the point of 8K Tv's. Most people don't even have TV's big enough to utilise 4K properly.

mohiuddin and scoter man1 like this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Got me a 55" Class Samsung Q70R QLED two years ago. Honestly, that's the best TV I ever owned - I literally see no point in an upgrade right now. I can't even imagine how much better an image can get.

Paired this one with Nvidia Shield TV Pro, for upscaling older movies. The image is insane with Blue-Ray quality videos.

craycray likes this.
  6. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Agreed Cryo, keep it for a few more years atleast. New German compounds for OLED, and new AMQLED panels from BOE are coming, which will be a much bigger upgrade. This is more of a side grade for Q70.

I am in the same boat, got C9 two years ago, and I see no reason to upgrade.

cryohellinc and mohiuddin like this.
  7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    What is AMQLED? sorry out of touch of new panels these days

8. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Active Matrix QLED. To what I understand, this panel does not use backlight as a traditional QLED (which only uses Quantum dots for colour filtration). This is true QLED where Quantum dots actually generate WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) light which makes it self-emissive and very similar to OLED, and hence does not require any backlight. So infinite contrast ratio, as many dimming zones as the number of pixels, etc etc.

I hope this helps.

mohiuddin likes this.
  9. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    That's exciting. That's been tried for so long by samsung. What's the update? Any link to references?

10. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Hmm... I don't think Samsung tried this. Samsung was trying to use Blue OLEDs as backlight and then using Quantum Dots for filtering that light into Green and red where required, and passing through blue light where needed. BOE is the only one that tried to use Quantum dots as an emissive layer to my knowledge.

This actually builds Quantum dots into colour conversion layer itself as an active matrix. I am not aware of anyone other than BOE which tried this. Samsung Display only invests in QDOLED at this moment, which is what I explained in previous paragraph.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    mohiuddin likes this.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The new brighter OLED's from Sony(A90J) and LG (G1) are a pretty big jump in picture quality especially in brighter rooms. The Sony model uses the same LG panel but they devised a special heatsink to be able to drive the panel harder so it can get brighter without overheating. The LG G1 is going to make a great gaming screen as it has a load of gamming features like lag reduction and contrast boosting for dark areas etc. These will filter down into lower end models in 2022.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    1300 nits peak on the Sony is promising.

JamesSneed likes this.
  13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Not just promised but delivered. All the early testing is showing 1250-1300 nits.

theoneofgod likes this.
  14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I really meant trickling down to regular models and knowing OLED isn't stuck at 800 nits.

JamesSneed likes this.
  15. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio

Check this video out at tell me if there a "Jump" to G1. Again, it is a sidegrade from C9 to G1. New compounds have not yet been implemented in current gen of OLED panels.

Additionally, I lose DTS decoding and 48Gbps ports. To gain better motion interpolation, which I don't even use.

LG G1 (2021) vs CX/ GX (2020) OLED TV Comparison - YouTube

EDIT: RTings have released the A90J review as well, it is in fact less bright than C9 on both real scene brightness and real scene highlights..

This post really aged like milk.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021