Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jmmy23, Mar 23, 2021.

1. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Hi my pc:
    108500K stock 4800mhz
    2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP
    Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
    Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
    Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
    1 TB SSD

I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games not crashing all stable.
    My pc is on 24 hours. Today was idle 5-6hours in desktop. After few hours when i go to use pc, i run Google chrome and then all suddenly freezed. I mean i was able to touch/move mouse, but all stops resonding. Chrome,search bar,start button stops responding. Then i make ctrl alt delete and black screen with blue circle. So i make hard reset.
    It happened first time that hang of system.
    Is there somewhere my pc not stable or its a windows thing? Like i said pc was idle 5-6 hours when i go to use pc, i turned on google chrome and then all suddenly hangs. I checked EVENT VIEWER: Nothing,0 entries about any errors.
    Thx.

ah ps
    NZXT cam was on background and epic launcher + steam and msi afterburner

PS:Running currently Karhu Ram test no errors. Also Metro Exodus Sam story running now overnight to be sure about stability. But i will be greatful for advices :)

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

slip windows into the beta channel and install 19043.899

ugh.... CAM.

jmmy23 likes this.
  3. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Happened first time today. Never before. Pc was idle 6 hours yes,then i go to use pc and run chrome.And all slowly starts to hangs.

Also pc is stable on heavy load,programs. Dont know why it happened.

Astyanax yeah nzxt cam. I read somewhere on microsoft forum that nzxt cam can cause hangs like this on win 10. I consider turning off that software :)

I bought that pc for games, so if all running fine again ,no reason to worried about?

PS:
    Sorry my english sx.

4. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Also somebody said this to me:"
    Many possible causes- you name it, it could happen.
    PSU, RAM, disk, timing issues, dodgy hardware, overheating (any evidence?), overclocking (are you?), software bug, mismatched RAM (is all correct and consistent?)...."

So it can be my hardware?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Remove Cam software and disconnect Cam for a day, if it stops hanging you have your answer

6. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Hey. Ok i will close NZXT cam and see. Hope all will be resolved. :) But it happened once so dunno why .

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Software issue some place?

I remember when I first swtich to I think it was win 10? might been win 7 any time my Monitor went to go to sleep and I woke it up the whole system was froze, after few updates issue went away.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That issue was also present on the windows 7 driver, it specifically affected gsync displays with gsync on.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah I didnt have have gsync display then and I still dont still using my Asus VS248 so if what your talking was specific to the displays windows 7? or 10? cause i dont remeber which was at this point, was diffrent issue

10. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Hey last question. Somebody said this to me:"check reliability monitor. If software issue it will show what software. If reliability dont show, then is hardware"

So i dont had any entries during that time in reliability. So it was hardware issue like he said or not ?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not necessarily.

Drivers and software in combination with hardware of different types can manifest this kind of issue too.

Like a certain range of Broadcom wifi drivers will after a few days (weeks?) uptime cause the kernel's entire support for wireless networking to crash taking down and hanging the windows kernel (yet @mbk1969 does not have the same issue on the same drivers)

12. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    So if that happened once and i am not able to reproduce ,not worried about hardware fault?

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I never use my home rig with that WIFI adapter/drivers for several days in a row without turning it off.