Comprehensive benchmarking of NVIDIA's FPS limiters (V1, V2 & V3) vs RTSS vs In-engine

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RodroG, Mar 1, 2020.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What about a combo of the V3 limiter and Low Latency mode to on? It seems to have worked nicely for me in the small hitches I was getting with the Witcher 3.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Why stop at setting ULL to on when you can go ultra without issues? It alone can already flatten some frame time inconsistencies even without limiter.

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    In case G-Sync is On, LLM=Ultra will always set the effective limiter to at least it's own auto offset (example: 116 fps auto-cap for 120Hz even if the V3 slider is set to 117, etc). I am not sure what happens if you set the slider lower, I guess it remains in effect, so you can do, say, 66 fps cap for 120Hz if you want while keeping LLM at Ultra. It's assumed (based on some limited testing with high speed cameras) that Ultra has no other effect with G-Sync On (GSync+VSync included), besides this auto-cap (no matter the actual fps or GPU utilization) or at least it's not significant (but I don't think anybody ever measured constant ~100% GPU utilization and fps<cap scenarios with G-Sync On, V-Sync On and LLM On vs. Ultra, most measurements are either <<100% utilization with the cap in effect or with G-Sync Off and regular V-Sync in effect). LLM=Ultra shouldn't be much of a difference over LLM=On anyways. Even LLM=On isn't a day and night difference for most people (think single player casual gaming) if the default was 2 (On means clamping to 1, so you usually gain 1 frame's worth of latency in queue/buffer-bloated scenarios). But mind that even some "legacy" (DX<=11 or OpenGL, not only some fancy DX12/Vulkan) games are unaffected (Frostbite3 games, so a bunch of EA titles are, for example). It's a bit misleading because Ultra doesn't engage the auto-cap for DX12/Vulkan games but it does for DX11 Frostbite3 games (so you might think the queue limit is also altered when you see the auto-cap but it's not, it remains in the game's control).

I am not sure what to think because I seemingly had more random stutter with Ultra (compared to On) in The Withcer 3 (G-Sync + V-Sync both On) when I played around with these settings. However, I think I later found that it was probably placebo or random (or the quick test runs were affected by something running in the background, etc --- this wasn't scientific at all).

Besides, I use G-Sync On, V-Sync On, LLM Ultra and V3 cap set to 117 (for 120Hz) in my global settings (and I set a 58fps cap for games which I decide to run at 60Hz [2160p60 vs 1440p120]). I don't think it has any downsides even if it's not better than LLM=On. So, why not...?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    ULL ultra definitely works for Frostbite DX11 games, I can hardly play BFV without in 1440p with the 1070. It's not as direct as setting the game's FFR option to off, but still much better than default prerender and has more stable frame times at the same time than FFR off.
    You might have to set it globally for BFV, as the game profile gets overridden on start as a laughable "protection" against the positive LOD bias "hack".

5. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    was actually wondering, in overwatch, they have a reduce buffering setting(i think it does the prerender 1 thing), is that even needed if i use ULL or prerender 1 in nvidia?

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    May be so. I only played (and continued to use as benchmark) Bioware games (DAI and MEA) when it comes to Frostbite. In those games, only rederaheadlimit (from the built-in console) has obvious effect.

The game setting can override the driver setting, so I would set both to the low latency setting if I were concerned about latency. And may be it changes some other parameters as well.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Does anyone know what the DirectX level restriction is for the V3 Limiter?

As in, does it work on DirectX 8.0 games for example?

8. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Excellent post!!! So on DX 11 stick to RTSS, or NV3, on DX12 stick to NV2 and on Vulkan stick to RTSS. Got it!

Good idea, if you he wants to waste another hour of his life :D :D :D

9. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't think that's applicable globally per API. Just one test with RDR2 on DX12 shows that not only is the NV3 limiter substantially better than NV2 regarding frametime stability, it also played a lot more smooth.

NVv3.png NVv2.png

SerjRozov and PrMinisterGR like this.
  10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Have you noticed how after around driver 442.59 (roughly around these driver) the Nvidia fps limiter doesn't seem to be working properly in some games?It can limit but not contain the frametimes.Same if you use the maxfps command in Apex as its the only game so far where I found the issue to exist but it could possibly be in other games.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/notifications/comment/219198/ I keep bringing it whenever there's a new driver update.

@manuel@NVIDIA The nvidia fpslimiter/+fps_max command is not working properly in containing the frametime in Apex (and possibly in other games who knows).Only RTSS can for some reason.This wasn't an issue on driver 442.59

This has been going on for almost a year if 442.59 was the last confirmed driver without the issue.I'm sure everyone has the issue because it stops being an issue if I go back to 442.59 and my brother who has a completely different setup has the issue too.

11. slayer6288

slayer6288 Active Member

GPU:
    2080 TI
    Wow really dude throwing a tantrum because u will lose out on some site hits from people mostly going to see it on reddit? Grow up man. Sickening to see this behavior from a so called "adult".

RodroG likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Tantrum?

You're the one throwing one because a site owner and administrator ASKED NICELY that a user of his medium engage with users on that medium.

Smough likes this.
  13. RodroG

RodroG Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 / 10GB
    Hi, @Astyanax. I agree he asked me nicely, but his warning looked like an overreaction, in my opinion. I understand he is the administrator, and I had no problem following his request. However, due to his reaction, I decided to stop sharing my analysis on this forum. Regards.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So you stop sharing any info with us only because a forum moderator simply asked you not to make people move to Reddit? That's very mature no doubt lol. Speak about tantrums and not to be to severe on you, but what you did can be done by anyone, is not some super vital, secret hidden info that only depends on you, you should keep that in mind.

15. phr0zbyte

phr0zbyte Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super
    i dont see anyone else doing it. confusedtravolta.gif

16. RodroG

RodroG Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 / 10GB
    I never made people move to Reddit nor said what I did is vital. I think you missed or misinterpreted my original comment and reply to the administrator. Regards.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If people want to see the results they have to go to reddit, so in a way you do actually make them move there.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Hilbert looks at it like: articles shared on Guru3D should be shared in full form, just like a lot of contributers did over time, else anyone can just post anything and promote their own sites with links.
    It's a concept of principal and not an overreaction like you think it is.

18. RodroG

RodroG Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 / 10GB
    Reddit is not my own site. I only reported about an analysis I did. I included a summary of it and shared a link to the full article I originally posted on Reddit. Besides, I always replied from here to all the users of this forum that commented about the summarized results.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Of course isn't Reddit your site, it's not like anyone assumes that.
    I just tried to explain why Hilbert most probably would prefer if you shared the full article on his site instead of just linking to it.

Another thing to consider, some users probably also ignore or block Reddit because they find it messy, that is more in the way comments are displayed besides the randomness of content on the same page.

Smough likes this.
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Using reddit for this stuff is a really bad idea. Reddit automatically locks threads after a while. No one can post anything after that happens.

Reddit should never be used for anything other that short-lived memes. The correct way to use it is to create a thread in a proper forum that doesn't lock threads automatically, and post a link on reddit that links to the forum. I have come across countless reddits "threads" so far about topics similar to this, where I wanted to post something, but they've all been locked by the site, because everything that's older than a month or two is considered "dead, ancient history."

Mineria, Smough and SerjRozov like this.