Graphics glitches after mining. RTX 3070

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dk_lightning, Mar 25, 2021.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I started mining with NiceHash last week and a few days after I am noticing glitches in textures in games. Mainly Warzone and Satisfactory at the moment as those are the games I am playing currently.

I have not had any issues before mining but it could be something else.

I am using a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Master.

I had the ram OC'd to 2025Mhz (16200Mhz effective)

I have reinstalled the gpu driver as well as directx but still the glitches remain.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    U OCed VRAM.
    Not enough cooling.
    VRAM killed.
    Good job.

SpajdrEX, TimmyP, insp1re2600 and 4 others like this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You're not gonna get much sympathy here.

thamp3dude, Havel, SpajdrEX and 2 others like this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    @op, you can burn in hell.
    Thank you.

Kaune, Havel, SpajdrEX and 2 others like this.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    You do realize you're saying this to the wrong person?
    waw this forum.

6. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I'm sorry, Am I not allowed to use my GPU to mine overnight when I am not playing games? Is that not allowed?

As for the cooling comment.

My VRAM is cooled.

So why can I burn in hell @wavetrex ? Is it because I am mining? Is it because I got a RTX 3070 before you? Do tell.

As for the mining, After electric costs I'm going to get about £40-£50 a month. Big whoop but its better than nowt. I only mine for about 10 hours at a rate of between 50 and 60 MH/s

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Just because you're mining, and adding to the already big 5hitstorm.
    Grats for the 3070... or not, you broke it with your greed.

Not anymore. Serves you right.

Enjoy paying $1500 to scalpers for another card, or rotting without one.

Kaune, SpajdrEX and mirh like this.
  8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Have you considered the cost of replacing your gpu in that £40-50 a month.

9. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    There is no evidence to show that a GPU cant mine for months or even years and suffer from it.

Hence why i thought I would give it a go. I never thought that i would have issues right off the bat. And I was never intending to mine for long. I did set the fan higher to make sure it stayed cool, And it did. 66C Max temp thus far.

I couldn't care less if you think I "deserve" my GPU to die cus I mined with it.
    If you cant provide anything constructive to this post then just shut up and don't reply.
    Or better yet, Realise that people are free to do what they want with their own hardware even if you disagree with it or not.

If that person then has an issue they are trying to fix you can either help, or just not reply.

alanm likes this.
  10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If you were refering to me....I wasn`t being funny....each to his own i say but its not just your gpu thats under load while your mining....your system as a whole is running, while the chances of failure are slim your system wont run without failure forever for the sake of a few quid.

11. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    nono, wavetrex. Seems to have a stick up his ass

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Its an unfortunate sign of the times, whilst mining is not the only contributor to the gpu shortage....it does play a big part and like the latest fashion....it will fade out or become so unprofitable that ebay gets flooded with second hand gpu`s that no one will risk touching this time around.

mezball and livingroom like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No he doesn't. He, myself and the millions of other PC gamers have a right to be pissed about the current GPU market. Mining is the number one cause for these ridiculous prices and it freakin sucks. If you screwed up your 3070 from mining like I said, you won't get any sympathy here. Not trying to be brutal, its just the facts.

14. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    First off, what kind of graphical glitches(picture would be nice), have you recently changed drivers? Is your ram still overclocked to the max when you are trying to game? Try underclocking your ram and see if the issue resolves at a certain value. That should answer the question if the memory is damaged.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    [​IMG]

Simply shocked that OP thought they wasnt gona get responded they did. I mean how many around complaining we cant even get hold them let alone for msrp. I know I am one of them.

jbscotchman likes this.

16. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti

Not my fault the market is how it is. I was lucky, I spotted one on Novatek.co.uk for £700 and grabbed it...

Again, Mining should not cause an issue and infact it may not be the cause its just that this issue popped up after I started mining.

As for the question from CyberSparky..

I am getting long spikes coming out of things or a texture will be stretched out really long.

Next time I play and see one I will grab a screenshot. I got 1 or 2 laying about somewhere and will see if I can find them.

and @tsunami231

No I was not expecting to get this kind of attitude from people. "Oh you mined with it, well frack you and serves you right!" I was expecting some procreating helpful responses.
    I have been polite thus far but It's about to come to a very sudden end.

If I did not mention the mining at all would I be getting the same response? Doubt it.

Its not like I am scalping for example. I am a gamer and I thought maybe I could do a bit of mining on the side. My hardware so ill so what the frack I want with it. If people have an issue with how I use my hardware, then tough procreating crap.

If I want to go outside with it and smash it with a hammer, that is my choice. Same goes for mining or gaming on it.

Again, Either people can help me out with my issue or just shut your mouths and frack off out of this thread. There is no need for the "well you mined on it so frack you" kind of attitude.

You might as well say, Oh you gamed on it, well tough crap.

Mining on the card is much less hard on the hardware than gaming is.

Mining uses about 5/6GB of the VRAM and temps sit around 60-66c with around 120w of power.

Gaming on it on the other hand uses 100% of the GPU and all 8gb of vram with temps of 70c+ and power usage hitting 300w at times..

So if anything is going to kill the GPU quickly its gaming. And yet that's not a thing that happens is it.

Really wish I did not ask here at all now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Gamers that also use cards to mine aren't the problem, mining farms are the problem.
    @dk_lightning sounds like you pushed the card to far, i'd try rma.

mezball, HandR and The Goose like this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this doesn't necessarily happen because of hardware failure, it can be a bug in the game due to an item with lod steps enabled but no actual lod levels.

CyberSparky likes this.
  19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Maybe it's just a driver or game issue and you can try to install different drivers (clean the old ones with DDU in Safe Mode first) or versions of games.

That said, hopefully you haven't killed on of your VRAM chips, though by running it with too high clocks for too long, as VRAM on these RTX 3xxx Series cards seems to be rather sensitive from my experience.
    You might have just used an unstable overclock without permanent damage, though. Try to take off the overclocks (set the card at whatever is stock settings for it) and shut the computer down completely and let it rest for an hour or more and see if it still happens after you start it up again cold. I've had artifacts after trying to mildly overclock my VRAM a couple of months ago in my futile quest to get acceptable performance out of Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR on my HP Reverb G2 Headset and after a cooldown period and removing the OC the problems have never surfaced again.
    If the problems persist, you'll likely have to RMA the card and hope you can get a replacement in a timely manner.

On the topic of mining, I'd suggest to actually undervolt and underclock your card (including your VRAM) while you're mining. It shouldn't make a huge difference in your hashrate but your card will be more likely to survive the torture, run a bit cooler and your electricity bill may be a little bit lower, too.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  20. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Your GPU might be 60c, but memory at 110c. Mining is memory intensive. Gigabyte cards are known to have poor vram cooling, no thermal pads at the back at all.

JAMVA and HandR like this.