NVIDIA Re-Confirms Resizable BAR Support on RTX 30 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2021.

1. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT

It is also possible that Nvidia will put out a generic vbios update like this one for the GTX 1080 and below for Displayport,

NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays

DeskStar likes this.
  2. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I bet it works with Zen 2 as long as your motherboard supports it. They just dont claim "support" for Zen 2, but it will still work like on AMD side.

Venix likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why is nvidia so late with this? Their cards should have support even before 3060.

DeskStar likes this.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    AMD is/has already limited themselves in this area.

I don't understand why there is no support for the 3000 series if the motherboard has inherent support already built in.

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Not really interested in updating motherboard BIOS again - only did it a few weeks ago and its a PITA to do, with all the custom memory/cpu timings having to be re-entered.

Also it seems list of supported games are none I own, and ones I do play go down in performance (Apex Legends -10%)

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They're nVidia, they could tell you to eat crap and die and people will still praise them and buy out every single thing they sell. Especially now that a single video card doesn't stay on a shelf for a day, if it ever reaches the shelf which is rare on its own.

nVidia do whatever they want with impunity, and the fact that even with insane prices everything instantly sells out, makes those assholes even more bold. With the way they behave, I'm starting to believe that maybe some higher ups in the company legitimately do hate gamers.

Just remember what they tried to pull against Hardware Unboxed. There's some seriously delusional people at nVidia.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Zen 2 does not support _pdep_u32 at a full rate. It will "support" it, but you will see zero difference.

You can see it here in the test from Anandtech:

upload_2021-3-3_15-30-24.png

Went from 300/250 cycle latency in Zen 2, to 3/1 in Zen 3.

That's the command allowing access to > 4GB RAM with a 32bit register width. So it's not really a "marketing trick" from AMD.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  9. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Tip of the iceberg and yeah I hear ya though.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Quit posting this disproven nonsense.

_pdep_u32 has NOTHING to do with Resizable Bar or SAM, its usage would be in a swizzle operation (and SAM doesn't use any)

[​IMG]

As it stands "SAM" is implemented worse than Nvidia's unbranded implementation of Resizable Bar (being that its an all or nothing implementation, where nvidia went with profile enabled support with the default being 256MB uploads for unprofiled games.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Neo Cyrus likes this.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for this, I wasn't even aware of it. Would be interesting if they told us what it does depend on.
    It's already working on Linux with zero performance difference, unless I'm wrong.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It's a pcie 2.0 optional feature that was made mandatory in Gen 3, any device using a gen 3 controller should support it but consumer parts just simply didn't expose it in the Sbios.

The main reason for that is the OS support was limited, it wasn't until Windows 10 that the kernel knew what to do with such a feature and most boards prior to 2015 were made with Windows 7 and 8 in mind.

13. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    That is most realistic question. So far, you must have the 4G Decoding option enabled in the BIOS, which is normally for exposing GPU's to virtual machines.

But then, DirectStorage would have far more of a benefit.

The use of both Resizable Bar and DirectStorage would be a lightning beast. Hopefully we can use DirectStorage as it's more realistic than having Resizable Bar and a 30 series GPU.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's enabled in my BIOS, but there will likely have to be another update, and without a GPU BIOS update + an nVidia driver update it won't work. And the question for me is if the nVidia drivers will play nice with Ryzen 3K chips.

15. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Yeah, because newer AMD chipsets (Zen) use infinity fabrics to transmit data over the Northbridge now. How the NVIDIA driver will use Bar over fabrics will be interesting to see.

(edit) I think that the most current driver support Bar by the driver, so that is now public...and one thing is done. Getting the manufacturers to add Bar to the hardware is an abomination at the moment due to the requirements. I think the most likely way to get all of this is to upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    @Erick North Bridge? I was under the impression nothing exists anymore named that.

17. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    The question is why were AMD/NVIDIA so late with something that has been around for a long time.

But let's just blame nVidia..... :/