RTSS overlay skipping refreshes

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by realghostvids, Mar 21, 2021.

1. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    Hello, I've done searches for this sort of thing and haven't been able to come up with anything, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Since I started using the RTSS betas with the Overlay Editor I've noticed that despite the refresh period being set to 1000ms in the overlay properties, it will occasionally skip refreshes and update after two seconds. Then if I set the refresh period to 5000ms it will sometimes not update for ten seconds, etc. I've had a look at old gameplay clips from before I started using the Overlay Editor (using the old MSI Afterburner table style overlay) and I can't see any of the data skipping.

Here's a short video I took of my overlay skipping with the refresh period set to the default of 1000ms. I'm only using RTSS on its own for the overlay.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Cannot reproduce it here. Is it reproducable on sample overlay layout supplied with RTSS or it is specific to your own overlay only?

3. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    The sample overlay seems to work fine.

4. Unwinder

Then upload your problematic overlay file so I could try it on my side.

5. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
  6. Unwinder

I see no problems with this overlay either.

7. Unwinder

@realghostvids

I finally had a chance to reproduce it on my side. There is race condition protection in OverlayEditor's overlay refresh implemtation, which prevents update if it takes place exactly when3D application is rendering new frame with overlay. I'll modify the protection implementation to let overlay to be refreshed a few milliseconds later in such case.

The1, Dan Longman and realghostvids like this.