Microsoft might purchase Discord for 10 Billion

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Skype is ruined - check
    Teams is a total trash - check
    Let's destroy Discord - to-do

Silva, carnivore, Neo Cyrus and 6 others like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Title should be "Bloomberg makes crap up as they go".

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Discord is great, not sure if things will get better when Microsoft gets their hands on it though.

Turanis likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If this were to happen would that mean Tencent will no longer have any form of connection to Discord?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Tencent is one of the reasons this can't happen XD

Discord will be going public, get ready to buy shares.

fantaskarsef and KissSh0t like this.
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Please no !!!
    I'd rather see it bought by Google or Facebook than MS.

Whataspp is still decent, actually, it got better since Facebook acquired it, unlike Skype which as previously mentioned became trash quickly after MS purchase :-(

8. lordzerg

lordzerg Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 290
    oh no Discord will be dead soon if Microsoft buy it. Skype is still functional and I use it, but I hate it and all the bad changes they did to it.

BTW a typo here: "Microsoft is said to be in talks with Microsoft ..."

danny69t likes this.
  9. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    It must be understood that companies (especially large ones) generally make moves to make money NOT necessarily to make an amazing product. Sure sometimes those things align but often times they do not. So you will see purchases and mergers for reasons outside of importing a project to make it better. Maybe it is to get the technology, or keep it from a competitor or possibly just for the client list.

If I were Discord I would take the 10 billion and run. From a business perspective going public changes things big time and that change has taken down more than 1 successful product.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not remember last time MS made something better. They want data about our activity or they want to destroy competition in communications.
    Those are two main reasons why MS buys something.
    If price tag is true, then they are going for our data. (Same way as with linked-in, where I no longer write what I actually do. And keep it outdated.)

Backstabak likes this.

11. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    The same reasons Google, Facebook and Twitter do things. And they are allowed to do it with impunity. Think of all the times a competitor to a Google company gets a little too popular, and then BAM, you are banned from everything and run off the internet.

My point is, I agree with you 100% but apparently it's just business in this century.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If they ditch the website version then that's the end of discord for me.

As for mobile, i still use a very old app version, which still has the sidebar open, you can't have that in newer versions which sucks.

I guess the old version will stop working then.

Oh well, RIP discord.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Discord is fairly safe, its addressing a market that teamspeak and such never bothered to address.

14. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    M$FT wants to monopolize everything, what economic power is capable of doing today!

DannyD likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Anyway, I hope that sale information has no base. And Discord does not get sold.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh an heretic, he praise the devils, let's burn him on an OC NVidia 5800XT.

fantaskarsef and Fediuld like this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Discord is great for game chat, give access to your computer, being hacked... Because yes, the problem is still there after all those years of denied it then said it was solved (so it was existing lol, but they solved doing nothing: this might explain why it is still there).
    But yes they have good com lol

Turanis likes this.
  18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, it was the same with Skype. MS is capable of making communications app, they have just bought it for users and their data. Which is why Skype has been nothing but crap ever since. Because MS simply doesn't care about it.

Fox2232 likes this.
  19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Like that is going to be any better...

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If they turn it into an ad-filled shithole like they did with Skype, you can bet people will leave it.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but based on recently trying to strong-arm people into their most expensive Xbox subscription, not exactly a century after trying to strong arm people into turbo-Draconian DRM on the XB1 that quite likely cost them that entire generation vs Sony... I don't have high hopes.

MS is already an immortal juggernaut... the capitalist insanity of wanting year-over-year increases in profit, literally infinitely, is insanity. Look how crap all product designs are these days, from software to hardware. They're soulless compared to the past because the ONLY consideration is maximum profit. Any good trait that comes out is because they have to do it for profit, never any single other reason anymore.

MS don't ultra cheap out like shitters on the GPU like they did with the XB1? It's for profits. They frack off and don't double the price of their shitty pass? For profits. They don't do something ludicrous an insane? You guessed it, profits. Now go enjoy your soulless EA or Ubisoft collect-a-thon that fucks you mid game with a grind slog unless you buy "Time Savers" to cut the grind... in a single player game. They need that money to patent their BS systems, cough it up, like how the Mordor series copyrighted the Nemesis system, a system that existed long before their games.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021