Review: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (reference)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I don't disagree about Vram but I think you overestimate the performance gain that their DLSS variant will bring. Strictly speaking for MSRP so the 3070 and 6700XT would be considered head to head competitors. It's rumored that the RT performance of even the 6800XT is roughly that of a 3070 but at least it has the raw horsepower in rasterization to help offset that loss to it's 3080 kin. So even with AMDLSS and RT on it won't come close to the 3070.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  2. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I'm amazed by the clock speeds this is capable of out of the box, and it even overclocks a bit higher. Pricing is arbitrary, and in in this case capricious, but AMD could make this an excellent purchase for many simply by dropping the price a hundred dollars. This is a crazy year though, and big price drops might be a thing of the past for this generation of products, given chip and other component shortages. AMD seems to be cutting scalpers out of the equation by pricing this card high enough that some of them will be available to non-miners. Though who knows, these too could be scarce even at this pricing.

But back to the clock speeds, they suggest that AMD has gained a really impressive handle on the current fabrication process, and that their next generation of products could be real brutes. I say that as a happy owner of nVidia products for four release cycles now, and I even managed to get a RTX 3080 (Hail Hydra!). ;) Just kidding about Hydra, I bought a new system that I configured to include it.

3. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    The 3600 Ti (80$ less) and 3700 (20$ more) seems to be so much better bangs for the buck compared to this...? Like, the only thing going for it, is the amount of memory. And, even then, according to LTT, the card sucks in productivity benches... so it can't even make use of said memory. If AMD stopped focusing on the amount of video memory in their sales pitch and offer a bit less in order to drive the cost down, it would be a much better compelling product.

...obviously, if you manage to buy everything at MSRP. Good luck with that.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    good luck with dismissing a dozen tech sites in favor of one.

Loophole35 and alanm like this.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    reviewing a card is never a matter of opinion

pcgh did the most objective one as always
    the average of 20 games,on all apis,and 4 resolutions

[​IMG]

1% faster than 3060ti

anything else is incomplete data.
    you say 1440p dx12 matters,I say 1080p dx11 matters,other one says he only cares about 3440x1440 in indie games.all opinions are irrelevant for reviewing purposes.

Panchovix likes this.
  6. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    The 6700 will be obsolete before you need + 8GB VRAM on that performance level cards.
    And all the way up to then it wont ray trace worth of jack crap.

AlmondMan and jbscotchman like this.
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I think the disparity will be larger than that but yes it's not "bad" out of a 1st gen card but they are charging a lot more money for sub par performance. Then again I would love to get a hold of a 6800XT as MSRP as I have a 1440P monitor that has freesync but it doesn't work quite right with the Nvidia "freesync" support.

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    People said that about the 480....

Kosmoz, Fediuld and Undying like this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Until prices go back to normal, all of the new cards are basically the same to me on the biggest selling point of all. Bang for buck. All are terrible right now.

I feel for anyone who is trying to upgrade during this period of craziness.

BReal85 likes this.
  10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Anybody interested in raw performance will find this card well positioned (yes, of course it would be better if it was priced lower) because it's not only close to the 3070 in raw performance, but offers an extra 4 GB VRAM, which is already needed by several games in 1440p, not to mention 4K. However, optimal pricing would have been $450 for me. But until they are sold around 3060 prices, it's currently the bestbuy GPU. Even at current 3060 Ti prices.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    With proper tweaking, it can be virtually indistinguishable from native res.

Loophole35 and PrMinisterGR like this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not a single iota of evidence of that vs the 3070. In fact the 6700xt tanks much worse at 1440p and above.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I dunno. Radeon Image Sharpening is already doing a decent job (as well as Reshade). In most cases it was just as good as DLSS 1.0. I don't see why AMD could not have a working one click solution ready for this year that is close enough to DLSS 2.0. The whole AI super skynet advanced technology T2000 only nVidia can do is ... kind of a stretch ... i don't doubt it's very advanced algorithms but ...

nVidia was bright to hide their upscaling tech behind a complex marketing name and making it a one click solution instead of having to select a lower resolution and then enable the AI upscaling to the monitor's native resolution. This has the potential to be very confusing for a lot of people.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    If you are using performance mode you can definitely see it's not native. A lot of those indistinguishable videos are using the quality mode which i think on a 2160p monitor will render at 1440p. Upscaling 1440p to 2160p is not that difficult btw even a monitor will do a decent job at it. It's an impressive upscaling technology but i'd rather still play at native res as long as i'm not forced to use that stupid TAA ugly mess. I could see myself enabling the quality mode if needed but certainly not the performance mode.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I would never use it in perf mode, no matter what. In quality mode it still gives a substantial boost in perf.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    this is actually true,I think starting at 3440x1440
    extra vram is nice,but depends at what cost
    192-bit bus on a card that's a successor to 5700xt is not a smart decision
    don't try to sell me extra vram for fringe scenarios when you're crippling performance all across the board because of it.

17. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Don't care about AMD since they said they want miners to buy their cards and drive up prices.

18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And they came with t-shirts in the box :D

19. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    According to OCUK the only cards at MSRP will be those bought from the AMD store.
    Even the AIBs have set as wholesale price at the MSRP for the reference model, stores complained to AMD for this and didn't received a reply.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34638856/

JAMVA likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, the card is nice and the performance is solid but the price is a joke, not only because it´s high for a medium range card but specially because find the already overpriced card at MSRP price is going to be impossible...

Looks at his 1080Ti and thinks:" Stay strong"...