NVIDIA Crypto Mining Processor 30HX Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2021.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Is this a case of "die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"?

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Absence of GPU-linked entertainment doesnt bother me much, sometimes I can go for days without touching a game. So much to do on my PC besides gaming. I can still have fun with simple games or puzzles that require no more than an IGP to run. Even DOS games. Even Youtube has surpassed gaming to become my no.1 source of entertainment. :D

3. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Totally agree again!, But hey man, you got a 2080!....I got a 1060!...

my need for a new graphics card is much higher than yours...I would pay cash right this second for a new 3060 @MSRP...they're taking us budget gamers fun toys too!

Silva, -Tj-, Undying and 4 others like this.
  4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Airbud we are on exactly the same boat :p

Airbud likes this.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What if its a failure in the RT cores (or whatever they are called)? To my knowledge mining gets nothing from these cores but enough of a failure in specifically thar section of the GPU would potentially cripple it as the whole card to make it only useable as a RTX 3060 series. Or various other ways this could go about. Sure, they could make RTX 3060 series from the GPUs in the 3080 series but thats kind of a huge waste manufacturely speaking.

Reality is we can make up scenarios that we think are good or bad about what nvidias actions here but unless we have proor either way its all moot point and just putting on our tin foil hats.

6. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    we still floating buddy!:p

Venix likes this.
  7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    1070 at 1440p isn't any better
    though I'm not complaining

forget about 3060,I buy 6900xt if it was msrp
    3070/60ti would be my preferred option though

Venix likes this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I am on 1440p a while now because i was waiting for the 3060ti or 3060s or 3060 i mean neither the 20xx series or 10xx had a ti , in general i was waiting since last June for the faster xx60 new card ... And i was willing to wait few months .... If i knew what i know now i would have snatched a panic sold 2080ti in an instant! Resolution scaling 70-90 and a mix of medium /high settings and at times few lows for me..... This is the lowest settings i had to use ....i think ever !

9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
  10. no_1_dave

no_1_dave Master Guru

GPU:
    LOL, my 3080 is undervolted while I am mining
    230W - 96MH/s

That chart looks awful :eek:

11. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    Miners don't need the RT cores in the GPU since they only need the raster/compute performance (Cuda-cores) for their mining. Nvidia should therefore release mining cards based on purely Cuda-cored GPUs and reserve the GPUs which both have Cuda and RT cores for gaming.

Maybe Nvidia can initially release mining cards based on the Pascal GPUs like the 1080ti and lower and their Quadro line-up. Maybe Nvidia could even modify the architecture of both their Turing and Ampere GPUs to remove the RT cores and release these as mining cards.

For future GPUs, the presence/non-presence of RT cores is the one that can distinguish a mining card from a gaming card so that Nvidia/AMD can cater to both markets and hopefully with minimal supply overlap.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I know who would kill for a 3060 @MSRP, I'm waiting for the AMD equivalent of a 5500/5600 and I just hope the cripto market crashes before then.

Scorch666 and Airbud like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If I'm a miner I'd just buy both, as both are profitable and the ones with RT cores I could resell.

There is no easy solution to the mining problem. Best bet is to increase supply to try to get more cards to gamers, hope that ETH switch proof of work, try to do temporary software blocks like nvidia is doing with the 3060.. and that's about it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    I would never buy a second hand video card that was used in mining. The continuous high loads and high temps that these cards were subjected to certainly has considerably reduced the life span of these cards. Junction temps of the VRAM in these mining cards typically are in the upper 90s centigrade and may even reach 100 or more.

Who in his right mind will want to buy a video card like that?

geogan likes this.
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Aura89 the rt cores are in clusters like the cuda cores no? If you see the 3090 3080 3070 & 3060ti have different amount of rt cores so logic says they can disable problematic clusters too. I do not think they can produce any significant amount of Cards if they just use bins that their rt cores are completely unusable.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Do cards have some kind of "mining" sticker like phones do for water that I don't know about?

Airbud and tfam26 like this.
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't make logical sense from a business standpoint to sell something that could do a full 3090 level of crypto performance but sell it as 3060ti because so many RT cores were corrupt that it made it necessary.

Not to mention the fact that then you'd need to mix die's of different physical sizes and limitations within product families (yes i know they already do this sometimes, usually pretty far into a products life)

Ultimately, as i said, any kind of ideas we can think of are purely tinfoil hat situations as none of us know the true nature of this, none of us are at the fabs seeing the defects and the kind of defects or making these decisions.

18. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

People can be meanies and install some lame sh*t in VBIOS. Myself and the rest of the stupids are exceptionally vulnerable so we buy new.

19. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    Unfortunately, the only way to ensure that you don't end up with a mining card is to buy brand new. You can't depend on the supposed "honesty" of second hand resellers in this case.

In the end, it is certainly up to the buyer whether or not he is willing to take the risk on the second-hand video card market. After all, not all of us can afford to purchase a brand new high-end video card.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    And this is EXACTLY why NVidia loves mining - they get to sell shed loads of brand new GPUs - AND they get to scare away buyers on the second hand market - they would love to kill second-hand altogether obviously, same as every manufacturer would.