AMD Releases Ryzen Threadripper PRO, professional CPU series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 3, 2021.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The weakness in the existing lineup was in the 64 core chip being limited to the same 256GB of RAM and same 4 channels.

32 cores, 4 channels and 256GB of RAM was a reasonable fit but the 64 core chip, if pushed to its limits, wold really need more bandwidth and more total memory.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That means nothing. You can get server platforms (including Epyc) in a desktop chassis.
    Within reason. I don't know what world you live in where you think the average employee can justify a $5500 CPU and the IT dept is like "hurr durr if you say so!"
    Most companies will hesitate to give an employee a $5000 PC (as a whole), and here you are acting like a CPU alone (that is more expensive) is customary to hand out to everyone who thinks they need one.
    How exactly am I wrong if you're just reiterating what I said in a different manner?
    If someone's job is strictly limited by number of threads and cores, you don't need a Pro model. If they're actually limited by threads and there's no cost limit, Epyc makes more sense, as you can have even more cores.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Both of you are right, it depend on where you work (i have worked with the 2 way).
    Other exemple on where i am now:
    Each 4 year the material is considerated as "paid" and can be changed or upgraded.
    As a small team we made a collective demand to the boss.
    The boss demand to IT the price.
    With the price in hand the boss demand to financial service if he could still change the car if he do this invest.
    Then meeting with boss if yes he said maybe and try to reduce the cost (lol), if no he said a maybe that say "no way" (lol again).
    This year it will no due to COVID and lack of work, but generaly we get 99% of what we demand (we work well :) )

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You should read my reply in the thread. The same companies also had people working on dual core i5 laptops in 2019 using mechanical harddrives. There were still some left, and you weren't getting upgraded untill that specific PC was 4 years old.
    I helped decom pallets filled with HP Probook 640 G1s in 2018 and 2019, all of them using mechanical harddrives that made these PCs so slow that people would desperately create case upon case with IT to try and attempt to make an upgrade to one with an SSD happen. This was done because the price difference between getting the G1 with a SSD was 15€ more than with mechanical drive.

I helped engineers try and get high powered systems to run simulations and such in their local department, but getting a budget of 5-6000€ to spec a system for doing so was not easy for t hem to get through the economy department. They usualy ended up either forfeiting the request or try to soup up existing rigs with another 32gb RAM or a slightly better GPU.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    As the speed of the internet ramps up its going to become more and more economical to just rent super powered processing when you need it instead of building and maintaining it yourself.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Line by line...

I am fully aware of this, but, I was referring to someone else, was I not? Who make the original point? In any case, the IT Department will have had the option to make the purchase via Lenovo first, which was promoted as a workstation CPU.

IF:- there is server/farm based rendering, then IT would have figured that out and done their job accordingly.

In difference to the Q of 'who is this for?' I think the answer is still simply: someone who works from home and needs direct computation, using a lot of cores and threads.

So, if you do not work from home the systems in the office probably will be enough as you are probably using a server farm to do those computations, hence why I stated very clearly that it is for people working from home. (assumptions in italics)

The world I live in states that after 3 years, you can write off IT expenditure as an 'asset expenditure' in the 'Capital Expenditure' section of your P & L statements. That world allows for IT equipment (so long as it is justified, and working from home comes under this) to be purchased.

The members of staff will defer to their boss, and their boss will defer to the IT department - case closed. New IT delivered. Job done.

The only snag has to be whether there is any budget, and no matter what: budgets can be pulled form other departments...happens every day.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You're still missing the point:
    If all you need is a lot of cores and threads, get a non-pro model. You can still get 64c/128t at a higher clock speed.
    The benefit of the Pro models is the extra lanes and memory bandwidth. But if you're going to shell out $5500, you might as well get an Epyc, where you'll get double the supported RAM and manages to cost $1000 less. Where is the sensibility here?
    Yes but your world is your world, not the world. Anecdotes don't mean much. Just about every product can be marketable. Even a box of literal BS will make sales. Doesn't mean the product makes any sense.
    These TR Pro models just make no sense. It's basically just there for people who don't realize that servers are still just PCs and can accomplish the same job in the same chassis for a lower cost and more readily available features. Or, if raw compute performance is all you need, just get a normal Threadripper where you get higher clock speeds for a lower price. Whether you go for vanilla TR or Epyc, you're getting a less stupid product.
    Most bosses like to cut corners where possible, even if it compromises productivity.
    That I can't argue with.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    also lot of core need lot of ram to feed them :)
    only on pro/server side you can have system with To of Ram.
    On that point Epyc win, and justify it's line.

Those TR Pro look more for middle segment WS, where you need core and more affortable* material, but not enough to get expensive WS based on Epyc multi CPU.

Regular TR is more a step bellow.

*affortable is relative, if compared to home PC of course.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Hence why I said 'working from home'. That's the third time I've said this.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't see how that changes anything. Working from home doesn't detract from this being a stupid product.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Good lord...because I was answering a question someone else posted as to 'why and who?'.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    But WHO is using these "expensive multi-Epyc CPU workstations"?

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Has this not been covered in the marketing by AMD ?

rl66 likes this.
  14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Too broad .

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I was with dual XEON some years ago... But no more as now i take more time with family :)

If you want some exemple where you may use some:
    light show, pyrotechnic representation or massive concert control center
    Mobile workstation for test experiment (sold one for tyre manufacturer)
    And lot more...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021