Elden Ring

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 8, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Call me a skeptic. I don't see what's all about.

2. Godzilla

Godzilla Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 6600
    this is what's so great about it. Being able to do it. Personally i wish all games were made without difficulty settings, you get better as you learn how the AI attacks. Every game i have normal difficulty settings are to easy for me, so when i bump up difficulty level it just cheats with OP AI.

I forgot to add, in souls games there's a hard way and an easy way to get through it. You can get high level weapon and shield taking a different path early game or don't and die a lot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    drandiiski likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Spoken as a true tryharder.

Most adults just want a chill laid back experience when playing after a long day at work - hence why the vast majority play at "normal" or "just the story" difficulty.

4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Having a difficulty slider is just bad game design in many cases. Having the difficulty scale around the gameplay is much more organic and the Souls games do that exceptionally well. I do not think the series would be so highly regarded and loved by so many, if there was just a slider at new game start, that lets you choose easy mode. The games are not actually that hard, but require you to pay attention.

Being tired at the end of the day and willing to “try hard” is understandable. Have you chill game then and return to the harder one when you feel like it. If you just don’t feel like having a challenge ever, there are plenty of other games to enjoy.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Tryharders love dark souls, not the average player... and the sales numbers reflect that. It's not exactly gta5.

And yes, there are plenty of other games that arent made specifically for sweaty tryharders - as in the vast majority... and thank god for that. But if the game did include a difficulty slider, then im willing to bet that it would sell better, as it would appeal to alot more people. Obviously all the tryharders would cry their eyes out, but /care.

itpro likes this.
  6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I played demon souls back on ps3 era only for its unique graphics. It even surpassed all pc games back on the day. It was earth-shaking.

I never liked to die playing. Gaming is for joy. Entertainment. Not a pushed psychological warfare.

I feel annoyed by soul like only spirit games. I should be given the option to either die constantly or only once until i finish the game.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    You were calling me a massive n00b in the other thread, but now I’m being a “tryharder” .. oh well

TBH I’m more of a casual these days, but still managed to finish all the Souls games and even 100% Bloodborne and Sekiro, without a difficulty slider...

8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It's astonishing that all soul like gamers bragging about finishing those annoying sickening titles.

9. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    People have different tastes in games and find the challenge of those games entertaining and joyful. There is nothing really astonishing about it. Each to their own.

Some people like strawberries and others can't stand them. Don't see anything surprising about that.

Hell you could even go as far to say that some men like their prostate massaged during intercourse where others despise it. The possibilities are endless! I don't judge :)

10. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I wasn’t bragging. I was trying to say that I’m not some sort of a hardcore guy that games 8 hours a day. My point was - just like so many others, I’m also tired after work and have like an hour or two of gaming during week days, but still managed to enjoy and finish those games. For example, I do find playing competitive online games much more stressful, than dying a couple of times in a single player game. Also given that Souls games are not actually single player, you can match with someone that has experience in those games and steam roll trough them.

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    All the more reason to have options of level of hardness. Different stokes for different folks. Makes the game more appealing to more players.

Why force a single degree of play on everyone?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I wasn't specifically calling you are n00b, though one doesn't exclude the other - there are plenty of n00bish tryharders.

""drandiiski: It is quite common for those in I.T. or office-based role to want to get away from PC and play console instead. It's understandable."

If they are massive n00bs, then sure.

A highend pc provides a vastly better experience, period."

That's what i said, and the context i said it in, and i wholeheartedly stand by it - obviously gaming on a cheap console will never compare to playing on a highend pc - highend pc's are so much better hardware wise, even when the consoles are brand spanking new, such as the ps5 and xbox series x... and a few years down the line, when the consoles are old, the experience will be worlds apart.

I play for the experience, in which i find the visuals very important, and a 3090 just has soooo much more power than the consoles, thus can push much better graphics - cyberpunk on a ps5 vs a 3090 with a 4k g-sync monitor is not even comparable.

Tryharders generally play for bragging rights and epeen... "yeah, i cleared dark souls, and it was like so easy" - as also seen in this thread. Imo it's either sweaty teenage boys, or men who never got past that teenage mentality, who are into that tryhard crap. Im not going to pretend that i wasn't like that myself at one point, but then i grew up.

That said, if you want a sweaty tryhard experience, you could still get that by setting it to the highest difficulty, if the game had a difficulty slider... but then it wouldnt be as cool to say you completed the game, which is what it's all about at the end of it in regards to games like dark souls, init.

Well, this got sidetracked alot. Anyways, as i started saying, if the game includes a difficulty slider, then i might be interested - then i can chill while i explore the world and experience the story, and you can enjoy dying for 20 hours straight, or whatever floats your boat.

Embra likes this.
  13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    ^Not gonna fuel more of that here ..

Anyhow, coming back to Elden Ring, I will maintain that it does not need a difficulty slider. If done right, a lot of games wouldn’t need one. As I said, there are ways to make Souls game pretty damn easy or hard in game, not in a menu.

As another example – The Witcher 3 was kind of ruined by this. Having a difficulty slider at the beginning was OK there, but having it all the time is just lazy game design. Hard boss? Yeah, just roll the difficulty back and kill it, no problem. Not like there is a whole game world you can engage with and try to understand why this boss is being hard to you and what you can do in game to fix that.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Thats exactly a part of what made witcher 3 so popular among the masses - it could be played by anyone. It's obvious that you are looking at games as a tryharder - most people just want to experience the game and story - they dont want to spend ages of their precious spare time learning some boss.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I find Sekiro to be quite impossible compared to DS3 or Bloodborne. Parrying requires lightning reflexes and is an integral part of the game, just rolling unfortunately doesn't work afaik. DS1 is so tedious due to high enemy HP which makes the game difficult in the wrong way.

What do you think?

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    not impossible but took time to get gud, and it could not keep to it own rules sometimes, parry but for red icon mobs except when those mobs had no icon and unparryable attacks.

why they did not keep it closer to ds with its parry/dodge, i guess they tried something different that i think for most did not come off. maybe it can be modded?

17. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Sekiro is an odd one, as there is no multiplayer system to help you. Personally I find the parry system in Sekiro, to be easier than rolling in DS3. It is just a matter of finding the rhythm with the parries, but also you can spam the button at times and still get by :D

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I've never played the Witcher 3... I probably won't play this RR Martin one either. But you never know.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You can beat the game without parrying, i know that by experience, but it becomes harder and you need lots of patience to do it...

As for difficult setting for Souls games, i think they should exist and they would enhance the experince for everyone. Some could explore the game on an easier level and the more sadistic players could test themselves on an higher level, it would be a win-win for everyone.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I wouldn't call myself tryhard, but e.g. DS2 wasn't that difficult. Sekiro was a far more difficult and required a lot of practice, especially some bosses. That being said, I don't see why there can't be a difficulty slider. Have everyone play at whatever difficulty they find best. Personally I would be bored, if the game is too easy, but I can also imagine that it can get frustrating if you get stuck somewhere.