Radeon RX 6700 XT would have a starting price of 479 USD and see better availability

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Heh, I have thought about selling my Fury, could get back how much I paid for it... £300..... And then use the old R9 285... o_O

toyo and Undying like this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I wouldn't hold my breath for better availability. On the left side we have the miners hungry for cards, on the right side we have scalpers selling cards even before they get offloaded from the boat.
    I'd love to upgrade my GPU to something like a RX 6600/6500 but I don't know if I'll have even a reason to be mad about rising MSRP when the card is instantly out of stock.

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It's not about changing hobbies. As long as we have enemies among our community, buying hardware just because they can, I will not be like them. I keep my job as engineer but I will abolish my PC gamer identity. I feel ashamed like a miner does.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course you are right. Is it 10% more expensive? Or maybe 8% or maybe only 5%?
    Also, this applies to virtually every refresh of the lineup of every vendor.

What I tried to imply, and in the context obviously not well worded enough for you to understand:
    Prices are rising. And everybody does it. No surprise here, and yes AMD does it too. Reasons for that, that's where you can see differences. But eventually, even AMD cards get more expensive.

5. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Right, I forgot about linux support. It must be because linux support mainly comes from 3rd party and they are actually doing better job then AMD...

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    3D Graphics used to be medium for telling stories.

RIP nVidia's reason for entering graphics business.

Like 20% more expensive. Possibly more.
    You may notice that while GDDR6 chips with 1GB capacity reach 18Gbps, 2GB chips do only 16Gbps.
    Double capacity at 16Gbps does not double the price when 1GB 16Gbps is standard mass produced product. And 2GB chips at 16Gbps is top tier product.

It is reasonable to say that 12GB capacity on 6700XT costs more than 50% extra over 8GB which 5700XT has.
    Chip itself is again quite more expensive on 6700XT than on 5700XT.

Remind me about your position on this each time nVidia puts out financials.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/stock-comparison?s=gross-margin&axis=single&comp=NVDA:AMD
    I tend to believe that you know math behind. And that if nVidia reduces price they ask for goods they produce by 30%, they'll still have higher Gross Margin than AMD.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Disabled OC on my gtx970, repasted... it still holds, believe it or not. Ive spend 100s of hours on Fallout new vegas with all DLC and Frontier mod. Now I play Grim Dawn.. fans are hardly spinning.
    Still had to get into GTA V and thats another year of content. Than I have Vaporum RPG, Black Mesa, Amnesia and 10s of older FPS games etc.. its just like I wont be playing RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn and thats it. Still... my belowed 970 must hold on for another year or Im bust. And if so? Than be it.

toyo likes this.
  8. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    This is like the worst nightmare, which will never ends... Intel will do the same? 350-400+ for 1060gtx level performance? Maybe Elon Musk can save us all. Hold on!

9. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I think prices was a bit more reasonable, just saying you do not get your money worth ATM and if this keeps happening people will not afford to buy a decent GPU without spending a small fortune! This is killing PC gaming and I personally was going to upgrade this year before all this ridiculous pricing. But if you are willing to pay premium prices for sub-par performance. That is your choice besides RX5700 was still reasonably prices last year not sure of the Vega 56, but even that was not available for long and was replace very quickly.

Games in general try and cater for the lowest denominator so that they can make more sales, this is also holding back some great development in gaming as people do not upgrade sooner...

Undying likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You still don't get what I was saying.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can ensure you that I get it. And while AMD put quite some premium on 5700 XT. They have smaller profit margin from 6700 XT due to component cost. But it is entirely possible that profit in absolute numbers is same.
    I just did not agree with notion that manufacturing of card costs just 5~10% more.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Apparently new keeps changing. Missed this in Guru News:
    https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/apple_claims_half_of_tsmc_5nm_production_capacity_for_2021.html

Embra and JonasBeckman like this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    keywords: would have

i.e., if they "would have" been available they "would have" cost $479
    if they "would have" replaced the words "would have" with "will have" we would be happier.

fingers crossed we get to see them @479

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Looks like thats TSMC modus operandi from now on. Whoever bids highest gets the bigger share of production.

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Actually, it is open source Mesa drivers from AMD but hey, hate whatever you hate and you do you...... :)

18. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    You said it yourself, open source... You should know what that means.

Why would I hate AMD for not fixing their stuff? The only thing I could get from it is to use drivers that are not 10+ months old and have some bugs fixed on my secondary low power system. I can live with bugs on these old drivers just fine.
    I don't have to hate AMD, I can simply ignore existence of their GPUs. AMD drivers are unreliable, otherwise AMD would at least try to fix serious issues they made asap.