Sony Preps New Firmware - PlayStation 5 Storage Can Be Upgraded in Summer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    PS4 pro done it right, a single screw then slide ssd in back, job done in less than a minute.
    Not sure how ps5 works?

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sounds interesting. I'd presume that any M.2 NVME would work in the expansion slot.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Apparenlty on the PS5, one has to take off the base, pop off one of the big white side panels and unscrew another panel/"heatsink" to expose the M.2 slot and screwholes for various sizes. It looks to be similar effort as it would be to upgrade an M.2 SSD on a laptop.
    It isn't a big deal for the tech savvy, but it certainly doesn't seem to be an ideal design for the typical console user to upgrade their storage.
    In comparison, sticking a storage upgrade into the Xbox Series' expansion slot from the outside is easy, but of course that only takes proprietary storage (although I wouldn't be surprised if somebody figured out how to adapt M.2 SSDs to be usable in the Xbox Series' that storage slot in the future).

But seriously, why does it take Sony so long to prepare the firmware to re-enable the disabled M.2 slot? It should have been there at launch. And for some reason, their fans praise them for this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    tfam26, Airbud and DannyD like this.

5. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    Its just as easy, pop off the side panel by hand. A single screw for the SSD cover and the mount is right there. No big deal at all, lots of videos on youtube show it

DannyD likes this.
  6. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Guarantee nothing under $200 is supported.

7. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Might assume that they will suggest pcie4 m2 nvme, but perhaps limited compatibility with pcie3 as well? But if it sho uld be as fast as the built in, than it needs to be nvme4 and one of the better performing ones.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    From what we know Pcie2 m.2's won't be used, and only the faster ones on pcie4 5,500 speeds and above are possible. Think there is only 3 that currently might reach this target, Samsung 980pro, WD SN850 and Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus... Possible I have missed some but they are the 3 of the top of my head that should in theory reach the targetted speeds.

The WD SN850 is looking to be a great one atm due to the small heatsink it comes with that looks like it should fit in the ps5 but not 100% confirmed yet

9. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I have a 2tb PNY XLR8 CS3140 drive w/heatsink sitting by my PS5 just waiting for the firmware update. Personally I believe the slot should have been live and functional out of the box but I guess Sony is not sure if it will work so they have been testing and scrutinizing drives that will go on a approved vendor list. So we will get the firmware and a short list of drives that will work with it. Most likely locked to vendor codes so you cannot use what you want. Sony maybe getting in bed with certain vendors to push sales of their specific drives. Time will tell. If the PNY drive will not work I will just call Sony Customer Support and get a matching drive to what shipped in the PS5 at cost; consumer protection laws can work in your favor if you know how to apply them.

10. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I hope they enable QHD output in this update. Currently you get FHD and UHD options only in the menu.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Eventhough I wont buy a console, that is such a fail.

12. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Man, I hope it's enabling that NVME tray inside... been waiting for it, the internal storage is literally like nothing.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you even read the article

its literally the main feature of the firmware update. XD

14. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Yeah, I know. "reportedly preparing new firmware" and I read it too but I guess I've just become extra skeptical lately. Much has missed targeted release dates and been pushed back if you get where I'm coming from. I really want this to happen.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Aaaaand it still doesn't support variable refresh rate / adaptive sync.

Awfully nice of the Sony corporate overlords to decide that by summer they'll allow their filthy worthless customers to be able to choose from a small list of overpriced SSDs which they deem worthy of their Sony greatness. Meanwhile they censor every game release that has a female that looks like a female.

Prince Valiant likes this.

16. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I bet the 50 people who have a PS5 would really love this!

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    50 people!? 2.5 millon sold so far......

Ricepudding and Kevin Mauro like this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I still have no idea how expensive a PS5 is meant to be, it's never been listed on ebgames website...

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's the same with UK retailers. Currently unavailable status.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Meanwhile in Japan. Static queues while trying to get your hands on a PS5.