AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT is a yes, 6700 is a no ...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For now, that is. At least that's the indication for a while now. AMD is not likely to release both a 6700 and 6700 XT. Next week AMD will host its Where Gaming Begins presentation on (March 3). ...

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT is a yes, 6700 is a no ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Lets be honest 6700 6gb didnt make sense anyway. If it was cut down navi 22 then maybe or just call it 6600xt.

As for 6700xt i have high hopes for this card. 25% over 5700xt is a 3060ti/3070 level of performance.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    "Where Gaming Begins" leaves a sour taste on my mouth if they don't talk about measures to avoid being sold to miners, scalpers and what not.

KissSh0t, Kaarme and itpro like this.
  4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Gaming's ended.

5. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    Don't care. I've lost all interest in GPU's. I wanted to buy a new one 2020Q4, but I'm not willing to pay THAT much (not to mention I cannot even choose a specific card I actually want).
    So, just go and f* yourselves up

Repo Man and Moto_Life like this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    If I can get one this summer at a solid damn price, the 6700xt is prolly my next GPU. If not, then Im just gonna get a 5800x. My 5700xt is still really solid for only being a $389 gpu.

7. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    It is advisable to skip current generation if you have something like RX 5700 XT or even tad lesser. Once you start to actually get the cards, we are already at least half way to the next generation. There are not that many upcoming cool games before 2022 (as far as I know) that hugely demand GPU power. I'm not feeling this generation at all and while I know it's stupid to think these things emotionally, it would be just so lame to get your upgrade very late in the cycle. I want the better stuff that comes after, even if they will most likely not offer as big performance jump.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Newegg selling 5700 and XT for like $1,999.99 :\

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Where the gaming ends more likely - as there is nothing to game on :D

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    As opposed to nVidia's spinning of their CMP cards not affecting gamers? Linus did a very good video about their CMP cards, a lot of what he'd pointed out made sense.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Whats your point? It's the same boat, and no one cares for nV mining cards that are worse than rx580/70 8gb...

12. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    The issue is that Nvidia are being disingenuous. They're not helping gamers by doing this, they're creating a dedicated guarenteed line of mining cards that can never, ever be repurposed for gaming. Meanwhile gamers continue to be unable to buy cards and won't even be able to buy mining cards second hand in the future. Nvidia's objective is to be able to charge more for mining cards while also ensuring that the flood of second hand formerly-mining cards dries up.

scoter man1 and Undying like this.
  13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yep, that's basically what Linus had pointed out.....some nVidia fans are blind to this, and believe the spin that nVidia has spun.

14. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I am looking at atleast 6800 performance level for the replacement of my Vega 64.
    Going between a 5700xt and a 6700xt is very expensive, unless you get a really good price for the old card.

I had the chance to buy a new 6800 only 15% above MSRP when they launched, I am still kicking myself for not jumping on that "amazing" deal.

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I went from a Vega64 Red Devil to a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 and the difference in performance was quite startling. Only went with a Sapp Nitro+ RX 6900 XT in my profile because one happened to be available, and being an AMD guy, I simply had to get the best that AMD has to offer. I paid about 1350USD for mine, which I'd thought was pretty exorbitant, but seeing the situation now, it doesn't seem that bad actually.

jura11 and Undying like this.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    They did this back in 2018, so, it's nothing new, and everyone acts like it is.

edit: if you have integrated, or just another source of image on your PC, you can select nV mining card to render games. It's not straightforward but it's doable and not "that can never, ever be repurposed for gaming" ...

Do I like their strategy? No, but what do they care, they sell everything, 0 stock.

17. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    another placeholder till gpu mcm tech .. pass ...

18. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    The video Linus did was nothing new nothing old nothing special no offense and if people can't take criticism they really shouldn't be putting themselves out there that goes for anyone including me as I am writing this - despite the funny thing being this is barely an affront to anyone really in the bigger picture just a few sentences of mere observation and yet many people I've noticed in media "hate" to have anyone do anything but complement them. Ironic. Does anyone remember the Verge reviewer?

More people likely would have been referring to him as Stefan Etienne than simply forgetting his name now if he'd shown mutual respect to those he outreached to instead of vilifying himself because of his really horrible attitude and double-downing on terrible work insisting "it was ok". Just set aside the whole backlash he received on the part of his race etc that's separate as those losers would have likely always been there and found their way out of the woodwork at some point unfortunately but what I never found myself able to understand was how someone did really bad work and got so easily offended by the initial responses which involved a few tech Youtubers contacting him directly if I'm not mistaken right? Then this all ensued as time went on ... DMCA takedowns later

Why'd I bring that up? Linus is weirdly loved and hated for some reason. Personally, I feel more moderate towards him. I brought it up because I don't want anyone reading this to kneejerk and go "man Kevin you're really matter-of-fact and blunt" maybe but not because I hate Linus. I just think some content isn't "Wow!" and it isn't an attack.. it's just my opinion really. There are some Linus videos I've watched and really appreciated, he has worked very hard over his life to get to where he is; I respect him for it. I think when he makes a mistake he tries to catch himself (I don't watch all his content) but I saw one where he made some apology or sort to Sony? I thought that must have taken guts...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  19. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Slide fixed :D

[​IMG]

Silva and mikeysg like this.
  20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    The difference, as Linus had pointed out, was that it was done all hush hush like back before 2018 when he'd talked about mining cards made by nVidia (even had a vid of a Chinese made 'CMP' card sold primarily in China I believe). He had also talked about the GTX 1000 series cards that were used for mining, and how when the mining craze hit a slump in 2018, many of these mining cards were sold off in the used market (I, myself, am a beneficiary of this as I'd scored a GTX 1080 from a guy who was recouping some of his costs by selling off his mining cards)..

The difference now is nVidia's spin on it, having a product page on their website, and making it sound like they're doing us a solid by having CMP cards which are, in fact, GPU's which could have been sold as such). When the mining craze ends, it's cyclical to some extend, peeps would want to sell their cards, but a CMP card cannot be sold into the 'Used' market as it cannot be used as a GPU, hence forcing buyers to look at shiny new nVidia cards instead.

He'd also pointed out that crippling the RTX 3060 hash rate by 50% isn't effective on driver level as there'd always be workarounds. And had suggested that the hash rate limit be scrapped entirely because the RTX 3060 can be sold in the used market to gamers after miners have quit mining (obviously can't be done with CMP cards).

I think it's brave of Linus to point this out, but I have a feeling one day, nVidia would strike back at him, hard!

Edit - To keep on topic, I'm awaiting reviews of the RX 6700 XT as I may wanna replace my PowerColor RD VEGA64, can't wait for Hilbert's review of this badboy...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021