Is NVIDIA the only IT company forcing telemetry to its costumers??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jen1, Feb 12, 2021.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It sort of does, just needs the ability to import/export profiles.

2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    5 seconds seems excessive. 5 seconds I once remember from the Catalyst Control Center days. Nvidia's normally changes 2 - 3 for me but 99.9% of the time I'm never in it. Though I'm not sitting with a stopwatch. What are you constantly doing that it's driving you mad?

I know it looks like the XP days (if you stare at the toolbar) but I certainly don't. I check things are set correctly and never look at it again until the next driver. If I change and even then, it's 30 seconds to check everything and never look again.

It is GeForce Experience I use mainly the most from screenshots to recording.

AQUILES likes this.
  3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It can a bit annoying with NVCPL's delay when switching an 3D option globally and that you have to scroll in it's menu instead of getting it all presented on one page, it's not like it couldn't be on 1080p monitor, but else I agree, it works.

On the other hand, I have yet to see one of those Radeon Control Center crashes, don't get why you have to bash one company to defend another.

theoneofgod likes this.
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's annoying. I vote for a new control panel. Current one is slow and it should take advantage of higher resolutions. The static control elements that don't adjust with resizing needs to change imo especially with all the options. And it's slow.

Agreed about the Radeon control panel even though it's a bit too fancy for my tastes, I've had no crashes.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I say leave NVCP along other then speeding it up I dont want a new ui or something big giant buttons that resemble AMD CP or even windows Metro ui, that i still hate

I dont like fact most UI are designed as if everything is Touch based screen or smartphone/tablet like interface. Great for said mobile devices but horrid for desktop interface

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    artina90 likes this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I knew you were a closet fanboy.

Smough likes this.
  7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    5sec lag? You running it on a toaster?

AQUILES and gdallsk like this.
  8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
  9. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    To all; if that remains the tone in this forum thread it will be closed sooner rather than later.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    I understand now, next time someone offends me and shows how terribly inept they are at using simple websites; I shall follow Christ's lead and endeavor to turn the other cheek. If you'd like I can hold a daily Bible study too?

12. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Over the years, i found this to be true also. Good luck troubleshooting a problem on an 3 yr old and tweaked system, i couldnt remember what i did when i did and pretty often why i did it. :D

13. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    Not accusing anyone being NVIDIA employee, just asking if they were,

Cause no independent person will say: I don't mind collecting data without my consent, and you should not whine about it, and they don't spy on you, they just collect data about you.

To me it is unbelievable that a sane person with a decent amount of wisdom will say that. Unless one is bias there is no way to say that.

And I should not even criticize NVIDIA, is NVIDIA a holly company created by GOD? what is with this logic.

When I buy my next card, and it will be AMD, I will be the first one to criticize AMD in AMD forums, cause criticism is the best way to advance and develop.

Make telemetry optional, I will be happy that there are users like some in here will be enabling it

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Can they collect data about you?
    I mean like from sites in browser or from 3rd party apps?
    Since NV has kernel space components they can easily collect the names of starting processes. And since NV has video driver they can easily collect API calls - DX, OGL, CUDA, Vulkan, etc - made by apps.
    But can they collect information you manipulate say in browser or 3rd party apps?
    I strongly doubt that. To do such things they have to employ god level developers and most probably scientists... (But still I doubt this is possible technically.)

PS Obviously NV can collect installed HW and SW info.

PPS And the most approved method to deal with telemetry data - firewall. In all cases.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I want to share my thoughts as well. I'm also against for forcing telemetry and/or making it a trouble to disable. Although it's harmless, when the user doesn't want it, s/he must be able to stop it, the end. (On a side note, you can also see it in my thread, Nvidia doesn't fully honor GDPR choices).
    Judging Nvidia because of telemetry and purchasing AMD cards due to this, is a problem on the other hand. I think one should evaluate only their performance and features before buying, which Nvidia is a clear win for me in all aspects, be it driver or performance and feature-wise.

Anyways, use W10Privacy/ShutUp10 to stop stubborn Windows 10 telemetry if you hate it, again similarly practice a clean Nvidia driver setup.
    Use Glasswire or equivalent software to monitor in/out traffic, plus WFC or equivalent firewall which you can allow/disallow a software before it makes it to web.

And you will have control over what goes in/out your network from your PC. I see Nvidia's container trying resolve a domain and not make it, thus no Nvidia exe is able to go out web. So even though you cannot stop it functioning completely, you can prevent it.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just check I have no IP connect coming from NVida display Container, this must be recent change as i still using 457.30

But as I said everything phones home at this point and everything is loged recorded and categorized in some way including all the smartphones and emails and text and phone calls and anything else that connect to internet or wifi these days, it cant be avoided.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  17. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Lots of software now days uses telemetry, many without telling you or they tell you but no option to toggle. I am not a fan of it, but nvidia are not alone in this.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  18. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    At the end of this discussion its very simple, it should be an OPT IN selection, not the other way around, period.

GDPR has a few more layers that are being enacted in July and it will make anything less than illegal in the EEA to collect without explicit permission, not just some wordy EULA agreement. Also, the user has full say to any 3rd party hand-offs. Lastly the users has full rights to request all data that can be directly mapped to them to be removed, including backups. What we may see is a localization script occur and have to worry about driver implementation in the EEA vs the US.

CCPA is still in its infancy and Xavier Bacerra is till trying to get ahead of the original provisions. ...and it would not even have gotten there unless someone wisely used a ballot provision.

Unfortunately, I think the CCPA will never achieve the financial bite that the GDPR carries.

One can only hope.

In medical its worse, last year, Ascension Health (large multi hospital healthcare system) gave ALL its patient data to the Google Nightingale project under some murky blessing from HIPAA for a Business Associate Agreement.
    https://www.hipaajournal.com/google...illions-of-ascension-patients-health-records/

too bad the patient was never asked if its ok, or to OPT IN.

Sad state of affairs when we have the likes of Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, Amazon, Apple and others exploiting every possible aspect of a consumers privacy due to an oversized weak government and gullible people. While other countries and entities such as the EU are at least trying to get ahead of it, but the US consumer is proverbially screwed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Kevin Mauro likes this.
  19. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    People keep saying that all other companies are forcing telemetry, can someone give an example.

In all the software and hardware I have only NVIDIA is forcing Telemetry, even in the free software telemetry is optional, and ironically NVIDIA is the most expensive hardware I have

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Your cell phone gathers more data from telemetry on you than any combination of any device(s) in your house. You people are worried about a GPU driver collecting telemetry I think you have other issues.

Amd rn nobody in a right mind would choose AMD of Nvidia because of TELEMETRY. What are they gonna do? Report you for modding a card to a pro or something? )*if thats even still a thing)

AQUILES, Kevin Mauro and Xtreme512 like this.