AMD is investigating USB problems with 500 series chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's actually a big issue with a lot of people since PCIe 4.0 was introduced, and it seems especially so if you have everything (GPU, NVMe) PCIe 4.0 capable.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Running now X570(Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570) with 3900X I think close to 9 months and absolutely no issues with AMD to the date, everything is working, no USB disconnection etc, I'm running 2 external HDD's(1*3TB and one 6TB),Logitech G502,Filco Majestetouch or Ducky keyboard, Xbox controller plus Fiio E10k DAC and Wacon Intuos Bamboo

All USB connection are recognised and all USB are running 24/7 and absolutely no issues or problems

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I had intermittent issues like the ones described on my 5950x/aorus x570 master - I fixed them by moving everything usb2.0 to usb 3.0 ports.
    If I use an usb 2.0 port sometimes everything it's o.k., other times everything usb (2.0,3.0) freezes and I have to reset... this with the latest bios that claims to fix usb problems.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I'm using on ROG Crosshair VIII Hero 2402 BIOS and absolutely no issues

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've had USB power delivery issues on AMD for a decade. It's as though the protection circuitry just burns out once you plug in something a little more power hungry than usual, like a 2.5" HDD via a SATA to USB connector. Never had USB power problems on Intel or ARM platforms (I did blow out a USB port on an Intel system but that was 100% my fault), but I've had 3 completely different AMD systems where USB ports suffered permanent issues. Strange that only now are they reporting problems.

6. GeroniMonk

GeroniMonk Member

GPU:
    RX6700xt
    Had the x570 MSI Gaming Edge since mid-summer 2020 with a 3800x in it. No issues that I have noticed.

7. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    i have a c8h, could this be why im having serious double clicking issue using wireless rf mice?

8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Unlikley

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Dunno i have a b550 running a 3700x with a 5700XT and i got no USB problem.

10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    If it's a logitech mouse and it is 3+ years old and you game competitively at least 6 hours a week it's probably the sensor. Pretty much all logitech mouse i owned in the past 10 years started to double click after 3+ years of casually competitive online play.

Fox2232 likes this.

11. Vali Carpati

Vali Carpati Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 7300GT Gs GLH
    I fixed the same problem with Xbox Accessories and updating the controller. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-accessories/9nblggh30xj3?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I remember problems with USB with an AMD X2 setup back in the day. My next system after that would be the Intel i5 750 which was a lot better with USB working. I also use usb audio interfaces a lot so USB driver stability is a big deal.

However, looking forward, for me it's Thunderbolt 3/4 support that will matter (Thunderbolt audio interfaces). I wish they would add a Thunderbolt port onto all motherboards as a standard feature. That'd be some solid future proofing and helpful when repurposing systems. People could use those systems to make music for example with the simple addition of a Thunderbolt audio interface. Not that current USB devices are bad mind.

13. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    On my MSI B450 Tomahawk, when i connect an external USB 3.0 HDD to the MB's USB 3.1 GEN 2 port (stupid name, why not just call USB 3.2), the system can't boot at all, all i get is a black screen instead of POST until i discconect the HDD and hit reset, no problem on 3.1 GEN1 ports though.

14. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    quick questions for people with the problem :
    - how many USBs do you use ?
    - count how many 3.x and 2.x you use ?
    - how many M.2 slots you use ?
    - how many SATA you use ?
    - do you have another pcie card other than your gpu ?
    Tell tale signs of running out of bandwith (cpu lanes or chipset) are : 1) a random SATA drive disappear or doesn't mount 2) USBs don't work, disappear or run at 2.0 speed

Not everyone is trying to run 1-3 M.2 with 6-8 SATA and 8+ USB external drives + more than one gpu in your pcie slots (maybe a sound card or 10gb ethernet) but if you do you could be running out of bandwith, it's easy to know, temporarily disconnect 1 sata drive and/or 1-2 usbs and see if the problem stays or disappear
    I have never read or heard about this before learning the hard way myself when I had 4 external RAID enclosures connected (now replaced by a server Linus Tech Tips style)

There's a reason why In all motherboards reviews I repeat the same thing "know your cpu and pch(chipset) lanes" and "read the manual to make sure you can actually use what you see on it"
    too many manufacturers share bandwith between components and its very very easy to run out of lanes or general bandwith when you have too many things plugged in.
    that's the reason why I ended up buying an MSI TRX40 Creator motherboard and threadripper cpu you actually CAN use full speed on all ports, this far it's the only motherboard of any brand where you can do that

I would be surprised if a X570 board has that problem since they have basically 2x the bandwith of pcie 3.0 motherboards

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  15. Abbygale

Abbygale New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 4090 / 24Gb
    I have some problems with the drivers for usb of AMD they give some Harddrives the same UUID which causes problems with disconnects. Else no problems on my x570 board.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks, but as I mentioned I already updated my controller's firmware. It still craps out on my motherboard module's BT5, instantly in certain games for whatever reason. I'm getting by with the USB BT4 dongle which has dropped out before, but it has been infrequent enough that it hasn't really been a real problem. I ordered a Microsoft wireless adapter now that I've seen one for sale, for the first time ever, by a real store and not scalpers. That's not bluetooth at all and should be a better connection, but if it's an X570 USB issue, it'll lose connection anyway.

17. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    CadMouse Pro Wireless Left, 6mos old. i dont want to take it apart :( back to the wired razor deaththing

18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I think a lot of this is due to the one size fits all nature of USB and some cheap devices/controllers and dubious cables I have a couple of portable mechanical HDD which wont power up if plugged into the front case ports but are fine when plugged direct to the rear ports, Sandisk devices I find awful I have one thumb drive thats a usb 3 yet on my X570 and the X470 and B series before it would max out no matter which port I used at 45MBs, the same drive in a gigabyte A320m clips along happily at max speed yet on a Asus A320m drops to 15mbs, we have similar issues at work with various laptops and most of those are Intel

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    In my case I'm running 8*SATA drives(2*8TB,1*6TB, 2*3TB and 1*2TB SSD, 2*1TB SSD) plus PCI_E SATA card and 3*GPUs(RTX 3090, Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix and Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP) plus above 2 external HDD's(1*3TB and one 6TB),Logitech G502,Filco Majestetouch or Ducky keyboard, Xbox controller plus Fiio E10k DAC and Wacon Intuos Bamboo

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

20. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    i know of 10 people all with asus x570 tuff gaming or tuff gaming wifi. with 5600x, 5800x and 5900x. all do not have this issue
    some have rifts, we all have external hard drives. all have 1 or 2 m.2's...and 3 to 6 internal hard drives