3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 video card reverse engineered and re-created by enthusiast

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    I vividly remember the hours I wasted on Need for speed high stakes with the Voodoo 5500 in glide api

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    PCIe 1x is virtually the same thing as PCI. One used to be able to dremel off the back of a little 1x and install an entire PCI card in it. There are also simple convertors less than 10 bucks that will convert any PCI 1x-16x to a PCI slot. Using one with a DDL sound card.

3. rafaellorena

rafaellorena Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    i was there... with emulator, no cash to buy one of those for my "not gamer pc" if i was in shinny leds my pc wouldn't need the turbo button

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No... one was never able to do that and I don't know where you're getting that impression from. The slots are not only electrically and functionally very different, but they don't even have the same physical dimensions relative to the left side of the motherboard.

You're probably confusing the idea of inserting an x16 card into an x1 slot, which is a very different thing.

Venix and Aura89 like this.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This was never a thing.

PCI-Express 1.0 1x was the same speed as PCI, but you could not dremel out the back end of a PCI-E 1x slot and insert a normal sized PCI card into it, there's not even a chance of that ever possibly working. You can however insert a PCI-Express 4x-16x card into a 1x card slot as long as it's opened or you have dremmeled it out, with little to no issues other then the lack of speed (it really depends on the device for the issue)

You are correct however in terms of converting PCI-Express to PCI, but...not sure why you'd do it with a PCI-Express x16 slot

[​IMG]

But as you can see, processing needs to be done to convert the signals, it's not otherwise compatible unless processed to do so.

Venix and Dan Longman like this.
  6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    guru of voodoo was the name i think

7. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I remember upgrading to a 3dfx voodoo video card (can't recall which model). But I was very pleased with the upgrade! Thank you Hilbert for posting this article.

8. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Brings back memories of my Voodoo 3. My friend and i were able to get it into my HP with a 350 mhz Pentium 2. I miss that card RIP

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    These won't be true 3DFX cards until they emulate the intense scary CLICK of the crt monitor when they activate through the passthrough cable. lol

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Had Voodoo 3 3500 TV edition and it allowed me to play Emperor Battle For Dune with pretty good speed on my awful P2.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I have one of these for an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. Works really well.

12. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    I also was a victim of the hype and bought the Diamond Monster 2. I run some demos and played Quake and Unreal. Then this card was already outdated because it was limited to 640x480 resolution. My main card, an ATI Rage 3D was the better choice for playing glide and D3D patched games. Then already Riva TNTs rush in, fast followed by Geforce 256 and so on, Nvidia, Nvidia, Nvidia. Original Voodoo cards never was an option for me again. The Rage 3D was a longlife thingy and today I must say the ATI/AMD GPUs I had was sitting much longer (at least double the time) in my PCs than a lot of Nvidia GPUs (but psst). Maybe I was enjoying real life and that's why I never bought Voodoo 3 and above again, but I think I was just busy with hardware that I didn't need to change. ;)

reix2x likes this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    A legend in PCIe to put it on more reliable motherboard... really great work.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You make me feel like we are really really old :)

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Voodoo Guru :)

SamuelL421 and reix2x like this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @schmidtbag sone dare devils even saw the cards excess pins!

17. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    Any pics of that website, perhaps the wayback machine has it?

18. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I still want one on my shelf.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  19. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I love tinkering like this. Well done. ^_^

passenger and SamuelL421 like this.
  20. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I still have my voodoo 2 cards ready for a future retro sli build, just need to work up the nerve to recap one of my old boards to run them. :)

I wonder if this person will make or sell more of these? I’d love to have a DIY kit to try my hand at soldering all the components onto a a custom PCB. Wouldn’t be unreasonable as long as they included the vsa100’s presoldered to avoid the trickiest / hot air station part of the build.