NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 3060 Hash rate Limiter is enforced through both driver and BIOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidia must now do this to all future gaming GPUs, incl any new 3070/80/90 they manufacture from this point on for them to be taken seriously.

TheDeeGee and Solfaur like this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I m not sure why just half.
    Cutting hash rate in half isn't enough.
    If the 3080, halved, is still the fastest mining card, crypto prices can make it worth anyway.
    Current consumption will be cut in half with the hash rate, so the card is still efficent, is just a matter of total crypto mined and not crypto mined per power used.
    The issue is, create a mining product that can hash and that has no idea what a texture is, with no tensor or rtx cores, and reduce continuos hashing on the geforce to like 5%. Allow a burst for application that needs it, and pull it down after 10-20 seconds
    Be more radical, half is not enough.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Can a GeForce RTX 3060 Hash rate Limiter be changed to a RTX series hash rate nullifier?

EDIT: I'd imagine just detecting "mining" (very subjective) isn't as simple as one might think as some things have to be agnostic and I wonder if third-party reviews will check if this will affect performance in other applications that aren't mining related.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, I think just like with the last mining craze, once it wears off, demand for mining will go down tremendously and they don't want to end up with those specialized cards nobody buys. Like you said though, even with the halving of future 3000 cards, it's all hugely profitable. No matter how high they go with prices or how good production and stock becomes (standard and/or dedicated mining cards doesn't matter), it will all be instantly bought up by the hordes of miners (and some of them ex scalpers).

I for one don't see any real solution happening at this point, unless crypto crashes or at least pulls back considerably. And I don't see that happening any time soon either... and before somebody brands me as a crypto hater, I'm not, but when it affects my favorite hobby-gaming to the point where I almost can't practice it anymore, it pisses me off just like every other gamer.

5. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    They need to do this for the A100 & A6000 too... I know someone who's been mining on P100's (K80, M60's before that...) who cares if they cost $10k a go, if you don't have to pay for them.

I retest 'suspected' failed GPU's from Production using Nvidia internal MODS diagnostics, 95% were NFF (no fault found) and returned straight back to stock.., let's say they take much much much longer to be returned to stock after I left that company ;-)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not really, AMD 6800 cards will be better than a 3080 halved. It will just shift the stocking problem onto AMD. :D
    https://minerstat.com/hardware/gpus?algo=Ethash

There may still be demand for 3080s with halved rates, just not the crazy demand as before.

7. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    The thing is, miners will be better off buying all the second hand 10xx/20xx next to nothing and putting them to work than chasing halved 3080 for >1000$.

In any case, those of us who got first gen 30xx will have a bit of a diamond hand. It will probably be feasible to a miner to exchange 2x new 30xx for an old one. If not exactly double, still a gamer will get the same card and some premium on top of it.

This will generally play well for an average gamer but do not expect MSRP prices overnight (or at all).

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Try finding used 10xx/20xx for "next to nothing". Inflated price of GPUs has trickled down to older used cards as well.

Airbud and Solfaur like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  10. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    A lot of you could use a bit of lower angst and outrage levels and just look objectively for a second.

Yes, currently everythings inflated BUT if nvidia would to cripple mining on their cards from now on then new GPU's wouldnt be interesting to miners but would be interested to gamers. So a gamer thats looking to upgrade right now has to pay scalp premium on 30XX and consequentially has an opportunity to sell old hw at inflated price also (and he basically has to). If the price of 30xx wasnt inflated the old hw would be waaaaay cheaper. You think 1080ti would be touching 600$ second hand if 3080 had its 800$ MSRP and be available? Ofc not, best you could get for a used 1080Ti would be around 200$.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I don't think most of what he says is correct.
    I mean factually about this hashrate lock and what silicon goes into crypto cards.

12. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Am I the only one who thinks this is very lame. "Mining" is just doing math. They are now telling you what math you can and can't use their hardware for.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And you'll get 1st grade = unlocked and 2nd grade = locked cards.
    Apparently, if nVidia wants to win this, they need to whitelist math operations. That will affect a lot of home made things negatively.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Funny how a simple comment with no hostile or disrespectful intent can be seen as "angst" or "outrage". I had no emotional stake in my comment, only a clarifying intent and a counterpoint to your argument. Yet, seems you were annoyed with that, hence your usage of those terms.

You are also contradicting yourself here. Your original comment:

"The thing is, miners will be better off buying all the second hand 10xx/20xx next to nothing and putting them to work than chasing halved 3080 for >1000$."

^ That was what I based my comment on. Not your now modified point:

"You think 1080ti would be touching 600$ second hand if 3080 had its 800$ MSRP and be available?"

The latter point, I fully agree. But its a contradiction of your previous statement which I based my response on.

15. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Being a tin hat wearer, the thought of Nvidia locking cards to suit different markets seems like a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.
    Sure, in the current Nvidia created climate, the Nvidia solution seems attractive. Funny that.

CyberSparky likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The purpose is to try stopping them all being purchased by miners so the intended target customer has a chance of purchasing one at msrp.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  17. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3

I believe they should do something similar to what EVGA has done with their notification queue. Sign up if you want to purchase one with said manufacturer ,when available it sends you an email and you have 8 hours to make your purchase. Limit amount available to each household etc, one a month maybe. I dunno, just spitballing here. I know there are ways around these options, however the path they are taking now isn't in our interest, I think it is because they want their defective silicon to sell. IE, the mining cards.

I don't think limiting what a consumer can or cannot do with their purchased hardware is the right approach. I smell a lawsuit in the making.

18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    What was Linus's answer
    release the 360 drivers?
    what does he mean, anyone?

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Normally I'd respond to that with one word: Good.

That's like arguing shooting bullets is just shooting bullets, the sellers shouldn't be able to tell not to commit genocide.

Too bad they're not out to actually slow or stop mining, this is just a scam to make more money now and later by preventing cheap former mining cards flooding the market.
    He's saying release the fully unlocked 3060 drivers because nVidia's current approach is to help their own pockets, not help gamers by diverting miners. When the mining bubble bursts again those 3060s used for mining would be sold second hand.

He's right in saying what nVidia are supposedly "doing for gamers" is just a lie and they're not helping at all.

EspHack, Fox2232, Undying and 2 others like this.
  20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Linus did make some good points.

Airbud, MonstroMart and Undying like this.