EA completes acquisition of Codemasters

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    never was in to racing games but codemaster was very good at them, yet another Dev to be destroyed and ran threw the mud by EA

2. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Codemasters wasnt anything great anyway. There F1 games are tired and DIRT 5 was horrible

3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I have great memories of Codemasters. Who can remember dizzy games on zx spectrum?
    But now they were limited to only two franchises.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Please...it lost whatever identity it had was lost when the Darlings sold it to park their feet up and raise kids, and drive Ferraris. I hold nothing against them, except for that glitch on BMX simulator on the back vert that always made me lose.

Codemasters became an EA wannabe years ago.

5. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    NOOOOOO!!!

"Codemasters’ critically-acclaimed franchises Formula 1, DIRT, DiRT Rally, GRID and Project CARSwill sit alongside Electronic Arts’ global Need for Speed franchise"

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

"and increasing the capability to deliver content and experiences to a truly global audience for racing entertainment"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously: RIP

6. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Au revoir Codemasters, i loved you, but you've left me for another with deeper pockets.

loracle likes this.
  7. RaulR

RaulR Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT AE
    Jesus ........ Christ! I really hate EA Games, for how they ruined so many good franchises and companies.. Ubisoft is a close second for their microstransaction schemes in their games..

8. danny69t

danny69t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super 4GB
    Just can't wait for the next GRID/Dirt game. Finally, i will be able to change the rims and car body parts in racing games.
    Wait.... :confused:

9. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    Will never forgive EA for destroying C&C with that 4th version. Awful. Then, they tinkered with Plants Vs Zombies... you know, the GAME OF THE YEAR! Why oh why, EA?!

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The weird thing about Ubisoft is that, once in a while they do actually distribute good games.

Assassins Creed Black Flag, is one such game I am really re-enjoying right now. I can also deeply attest to the Chronicles 2.5D games they also released. I would go so far as to say Chronicles are the best-looking Creed games out there, purely for the artwork:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
  12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Hopefully now Codemasters can make a good game again. Haven't seen them make a decent game since the original GRID...

13. Gorey

Gorey Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    The last F1 game i played by codemasters (2013?) the AI was horrible. I could lap the entire field on the hardest difficulty setting without much trouble. Lost interest.

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I remember it on the Commodore C64 until I wore some of the tapes out.

I think 2014 was the last one I had on the PS3. I used to play the heck out of 2010. Dirt was real fun on the G25.

Once I got Assetto Corsa I never looked back to Codemasters.

15. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    EA scum buy up another great developer. Mean while they ignore what Battlefield players want and provide no Anti-cheat software for their games. Disgusting company.

However, Take-Two's bid was subsequently trumped by Electronic Arts in December 2020, which offered to buy all outstanding shares at GB£6.04 for an offer valued at about US$1.2 billion, about 14% higher than Take-Two's offer. Codemasters' board of directors agreed to the EA deal, which is expected to close by the first quarter of 2021.Take-Two formally withdrew its offer in January 2021, ceding to EA's bid, while Codemasters' board signed off on EA's bid later that month.[28] The acquisition was completed on 18 February 2021, with all shares transferred to Codex Games Limited, a subsidiary of EA.

I would have preferred if it were Take Two than EA. EA are very aggressive company!

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  17. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    I have to go through the specifics on this and figure out if it was a hostile takeover or ... whatever the opposite of that is, a regular acquisition I suppose. No one values studio autonomy anymore it seems as more and more heads sell out..

The rarer exception being the relationships like Obsidian and Microsoft of current which appear very healthy after the acquisition despite the initial backlash. We have the Outer Worlds, I was pleasantly surprised with that.

EA just has a history of the Midas touch - yes Midas touch... touching everything and ruining it. You can look at that story two ways gold etc but ultimately everything King Midas touched that was alive instantly died hence he could never touch anything he loved the tale went ... I think of EA as everything they touch they ultimately ruin despite their attempts being profit.. they can't even do that right. Ironic.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Dice seems to be doing rather well under the EA brand.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I can't tell if your comment is meant to be taken as sarcasm or not.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    No sarcasm intended at all. Ever since Dice joined EA the sales of the Battlefield games have increased ten fold. Regardless of what people think of EA, they know how to sell games.