Needs guru's help for system instability after BIOS update.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MaBo974, Feb 14, 2021.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1650
    Hi guys, I have this kind of PC:

• ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
    • CPU AMD Ryzen 3600X
    • RAM G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 (2 x 8 GB)
    All was working fine until I updated the BIOS from 1004 to 1401. Since then I have random resets. Usually few seconds after I logon to Windows, sometimes some minutes after the logon. Never happens while I'm gaming.
    In the BIOS i always had enabled DOCP to use the XMP profile and go to 3600 Mhz RAM speed but after BIOS update I have to set it to Disabled to avoid these random resets. Any idea what can I do? I already raised SoC voltage from 1.1V in the BIOS (1.08 from HwInfo readings) to 1.2V (1.18 HwInfo) but nothing changed. I've also updated chipset drivers to latest version. I'm thinking to revert to previous BIOS if nothing works.

Thanks for you help!

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its the memory issue. I also had problems with older agesa being unable to use xmp profiles on the x570 but 1.2.0.0 fixed everything for me. Go back to stable bios.

MaBo974 likes this.
  3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Yeah I had issues with my 3700x and my memory on newer bios files. I have it running a bios that’s almost a year old now as any newer ones that support XT chips(or 5k) just don’t work right.

MaBo974 likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just use bios flashback to revert to previous stable bios, or update to newest bios, in this case for you that would be 1804.

I actually have similar board to you, the plus wifi variant... I'm currently on the beta 1602... I swear 1804 killed my usb thumb drive and I had a really weird system crash after flashing to 1804, in my opinion 1602 has been the better bios so far.

MaBo974 likes this.

5. MaBo974

MaBo974 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1650
    Thanks guys, good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Yesterday I updated the BIOS to 1804 (AGESA 1.2.0.0) but I have the same problem. All was stable with BIOS 1004 (AGESA 1.0.8.0) so I'm going back to it or maybe I'll try 1202 (AGESA 1.1.0.0 B) anyone using it? Btw yesterday I also tried to raise DRAM voltage from 1.35 V to 1.36 V but no luck.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Seeing as you have bios flashback "ability to flash bios without even having to turn on the pc".. just try it and see how it performs.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this is why you dont update bios ever if there is no issue or problems, Bios update is not the same thing as windows updates or software updates. Go back to old Bios if possible.

My PC had perfectly stable 4.2ghz boost and that 4.2ghz boost only kicked in when system was being used and not idle with speedstep enabled and min/max processor state at 100% at idles and not it ran 4ghz. Since the Bios update 4.2ghz boost is always active so long as speedstep is enabled and with out it will never boost and that 4.2ghz fluctuations from down to 4ghz and some times 3.7ghz and that is with min/max processor state at 100% but for most part is always run 4.2ghz now.

IMO never update Bios less you have good reason to like some instability your trying to track down. My Board has a primary and backup bios, If i switch to the backup which has original bios I was using Boost goes back to working the way it did for 2+ years , I use Primary it behaves differently

But had no choice but update bios cause something went fubar bout 7 months back was having random boot times that took 2min + to get past post and some time even failed which got worse with a widows update that BSOD then failed to start up which inturn failed even enter widows repair which then some how corrupted my bios to point the post screen and even bios screen was scrambled and system should not boot, had bunch post codes on debug on board pointing to Ram issues. and that one BSOD i had that cascaded into this pointed at a Ram issue too. So after I managed to update bios and get system up I RMA my Ram and issue went away, but the newest bios change how speedstep worked, and only way get back original behavior was and still is to use the back up bios.

IMO Update bios before you ever install windows on system for first time, But never update after words less you have damn good reason. The bios Controls how cpu/mb and all the components talk to each and work, and all other software works on top that, atlest that how i understand it which why I dont do bios updates ever after first intital install of windows less is unstable mess to begin with it

Xman01 likes this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    To be fair most of the new AGESA codes are offering better compatibility or other interesting features but the 3k series chips I think hit their prime around the time that the XT chips hit. I used to camp the BIOS site during the early 3k release days.

9. MaBo974

MaBo974 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1650
    Stay tuned because I could have interesting news about my problem but I need more testing.

10. MaBo974

MaBo974 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1650
    So, before going back to the old BIOS I decided to give DRAM Calculator a try. Last Monday evening (the 15th) I set EVERY single parameter in the BIOS as specified by that tool (there are about 40 parameters to change...), I used the safe profile. Until now 0 resets! My idea is that some settings in the BIOS, that are in auto mode, have different behavior on different BIOS version.
    So now I'm on latest BIOS versions and everything is working fine and I also gained a bit on the 3DMark score. I'm sure I could try the fast profile and it will work but I don't need that extra CPU speed as I'm GPU limited.
    Maybe that can help others with the same problem.