Kioxia and Western Digital Announce 6th-Gen 3D NAND Flash Memory with 162-layers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's funny how this is always the case with NAND advancements yet the end products are actually increasing in price.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The price is drasticaly falling since almost a year... you can buy 1To now for the price you paid 500Go with the same tech 1 year ago.

4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I can't speak to your local market of course but looking at mine, as well as press releases of new products it's definitely on an upwards trajectory.

It's possible the low end of the market, QLC and low-capacity drives, is dropping out though. If the demand isn't there, or the prices were absurd to begin with.

Personally I'm only looking at TLC, 2GB and up and there used to be units around ~2000SEK but now there aren't. And every new model comes in more expensive than what's already on the market.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    250GB drives in the UK are as low as £23-24 which is peanuts compared to a few years back. Even the PCIe 4 drives are surprisingly good value IMO. Although, yeah 2TB + drive prices are staying stubbornly high, but so have high capacity HDDs.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Over here, 2TB drives are starting to lower in price. Still a tad higher than I prefer, but the prices definitely are going down. I'm not in a rush though - I've got more important things to spend money on.

7. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Yeah, sure. But if you want super-high capacity NVMe drives like the Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB are so stupid expensive. This one is 2000$USD. Hell, even SATA based ones are expensive AF.
    That said, the price is going down for small capacities but the big ones? Definitely not.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Lebon30 well yeah the high capacity ones like 8tb are very expensive, when the 8tb drives will be in more realistic price for the majority of the consumers then the 32tb one will be expensive as f*** Etc etc . I remember paying 120 euro for intel 330 120gb Last 8-9 years the prices came down a bit over 10x ! Where there 8tb drives 2 years ago?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    right will beleive it when I see 2-4tb for 20% more then price of HDD till them no, prices are not droping fast enough to what the been claiming they will for years.

The did drop but not to prices we been promised

I might like my all SSD system and no more noise from hdd read/write, but cost to space ratio is not worth and still not worth it to lot people, dont even get me started on NVMe prices.

Less one those NVMe are gifted to me I will never have one in my system cause I will never pay those prices

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Venix likes this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @tsunami231 well yeah for bulk save storage the HDDs still have the crown nvme are not worth the price premium so far because even their sata cousins on every day use are sufficient and the performance differences are for the most part small to not perceivable . When the first ssds arrived they took away the random access speeds bottleneck that are plaguing the hhds increasing the performance on this aspect 30x times or more ! While nvme drives improve even farther on that 2x and 3x compared to sata ssds out of few outliers there is really not a bottle neck on that front anymore to bring the wow factor like when we experienced first time an ssd ! Nvme drives make sense on compact machines big time and if you have work loads that deal with huge amount of data ... editing 4 and 8k video .... Games and most use cases as things are today sata drives do the work just fine.