NVIDIA to limit hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs and will launch NVIDIA CMP for professional mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Only rtx3060 drivers have an hash limit? seems dumb also seems like you can work around it.

Why_Me likes this.
  3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    this...this...do this for all...

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Was not expecting this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    wow they're really doing exactly what is required.limit geforce cards and launch dedicated mining hw.
    cheap 2nd hand ampere incoming soon ?

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I'm sure miners will find some way around this but i'm glad Nvidia finally did something i just wish they would do this for all the cards to prioritize gamer's first we're the customers that come back every generation miner's come and go with the booms and busts.

rl66 likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    If it is only on driver side, it's an already dead solution... on bios would last longer (more hard to mod).

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well it's the only GPU that hasn't launched yet so the drivers will have this from the get-go though from the sounds of it alternating the hash algorithm should work around their limitation though that might impact efficiency as well but not much that can be done for the 3070 and higher those are already out and with unrestricted drivers so miners can still use these without limiting performance with the current drivers available for Ampere GPUs.

This well either it'll be worked around or patched I'm expecting but it's a interesting little development to make it less effective through drivers and launch a product specifically for this crypto currency purpose.

9. Wintergreen

Wintergreen Guest

GPU:
    3080 ti
    Yeah most miners use custom drivers already so hard to see that this will make a massive difference. Probably a PR stunt from NV while they continue to quietly ship the majority of cards straight to miners...

10. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Miner 1: the new gpus hashrate are cut in half!

Miner 2: then purchase twice as many.

PC Gamer 1...:mad:

11. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    this is just straight up BS. drivers won't make any difference, and miners would only buy miner cards if they are MUCH cheaper, as they won't be able to resell it at the end
    what nvidia needs is producing MORE cards - more cards, more sells, more possibilities for the mere gamer to get a card for themself. it would be a win for everyone

Yogi likes this.
  12. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Nothing will change, nothing. Prices wont change, availabilty wont change, scalpers and those **** companies who are selling these GPUs for 3x the price will go on doing that.

Here : 3070 Galax 1648 USD https://i.imgur.com/JS7ay6V.png (Guess 3060 preorder prices now?!)

Years ago, my friends bought 1060 mining GPUs from China as cheap as 45-70$ and use them as Gaming GPUs. Those cards had no Monitor Outputs at all, Nothing, but with modified drivers and with the help of iGPU they almost got the same fps as original 1060 6gb.

They will find a way and nothing will change.

Miners WONT buy GPUs that they can't sell...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  13. cap5lock

cap5lock Active Member

GPU:
    RTX™ 4070 Ventus 2X
    Nvidia's highest end gpu for miners is RTX 3090
    Nvidia's highest end gpu for scalpers is Soon RTX 3060
    Nvidia's highest end gpu for gamers is RTX NONE

Nvidia : sorry gamers, it's time to say good bye

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    PR stunt, as someone said before in this thread, if you mine youd probably want to get something back when you sell them to gamers. 3080 will probably still mine better or as good as that 86hash card, so they would have to be alot cheaper if resale value is lost.

ZXRaziel and Solfaur like this.
  15. kgrosser

kgrosser Guest

GPU:
    changes every now & then
    I wonder what if they showed balls and cut the hash on the existing cards with the next driver release and a solent BIOS update ;) After all, they were never marketed for that, but "Ampere GAMING cards" right????

16. kgrosser

kgrosser Guest

GPU:
    changes every now & then
    honestly, who with sane mind would ever consider buying a second hand 3080 in a year unless dumped ridiculously low as 400-500,- when everybody knows they have dead sure been sweating away minig?

17. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    I bet alot more than people willing to buy a used CMP card :)

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    So, when a new generation GPUs are released, assuming they mine better, those massive Asian mining farms with hundreds of video cards will sell the old stock and replace them with new ones? If they kept even a single buffer generation, like when Ampere was released they would sell not Turing but Pascal, the resell value would hit the bottom, although I guess it might still be worth the time and effort. Maybe they sell them in bulk and someone with more time in their hands will sell them one by one.

19. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    I guess that's why they bought all those useful P106 mining cards. They will buy everything that turns in a profit.
    I'm mining with a 5700XT and Vega64 right now. I could sell them both for 1500€.
    And you know why? Because these cards will mine 109Mh/s, that's 0,2ETH per month and we all know ETH will go to 5000$ or even 10000$ per coin. So after ~9 months of mining I will have 1,8ETH that might cost 18 000$. Do I care if I can sell my cards after that? NO.

bobnewels likes this.
  20. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Surely people will just mod the id into some older drivers and mine.