LG Display is significantly increasing production of 48-inch OLED panels

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Fox2232 likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    That's going to get on my desk after I manage to buy a non-scalped priced new generation GPU.
    Current monitor is a 34" ultrawide, so the 48" normal wide is not actually wider (if including the side bezels of current monitor), just taller.

Not much of a point right now since I'm stuck with the old GTX 1080.

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Are those finally eligible to burn in replacement?:D Noob customers.

4. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    ""a phenomenon caused by no discount attached to 48-inch products with high demand."

-Greed?

5. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    This is going to make them so much cheaper. I have the CX 48" and I paid (as the article points out) more than for the 55" model.

The problem with the 48" is that it is cut from the same big (motherglass) panel as the 77" models are. But not many 77" models are sold and thus not many 48" are produced. If they can produce 8x 48" models from one motherglass panel then it will dramatically increase production and price.

You are in for a treat. The biggest downside to this screen is the reflection because it is glossy. But you can put in in a picture mode where it raises blacks and that helps with it. But that also negates the black is black on OLED. Because then its not true black (I.e. turned off). But god.. At night in a dark room. The picture is just sooooooo out of this world good!

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I got a 48" CX at launch but had to send it back after a couple of days because it had a faulty eARC socket (audio sounded like it was a dolphin squealing underwater). I chose to get a full refund instead of a replacement though because I couldn't bare the immersion-breaking reflections from that glossy screen. It's no use claiming 'true blacks' when in dark scenes your TV turns into a freakin mirror. :(

Needless to say, I will not be having another OLED for gaming anytime soon. Unless they add a matte finish to the screen.

7. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    If you play in a lit room, or even slightly lit room, this TV monitor is not for you. The glare is impossible to overcome, if there is light in front of it. But this is a story for every other TV on the market. I don't think that Samsung does better with its QLEDs anti reflexive coating, although I haven't had one to test.
    But once you roll your curtains and turn off the light, this TV is the most immersive display you have ever gamed on in your life. And I can swear by it. I got the 55" CX, mounted it on the wall, 90 cm distance from my eyes. It's just amazing how any game feels on this TV, with Gsync on as well. I don't even want to mention proper HDR PC games (which are just a handful unfortunately) how they look. The immersion is amazing, it just sucks you inside the image. And all of this is done at 1440p since there is no change to buy a HDMI 2.1 videocard this year, at least where I live.
    For people playing MMOs' or other competitive games with the light on, or with the sun burning inside the room, this TV has no use. But for gamers that enjoy games for their immersion the LG OLED is the best there is. Is great that this year there will be a lot more brands to launch gaming OLED TV's and I have high hopes even for the Qneds from Samsung. But it might be that LG has a head start in this and managed to solve or overcome some of the inherent issues that arrived with the OLED gaming. We'll see.

8. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Undying likes this.
  9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    The 120 Hz the OLEDs are capable of is more than enough.
    They have "motion resolution" much better than any LCD, due to the fact that pixels have near-instant response (0.1ms)... so 120 Hz actually feels much faster than 165 or 240 Hz IPS/TN.

I'm only missing a damn HDMI 2.1 GPU to actually start gaming on my TV... #fückminersandscalpers

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    More expensive to produce.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well atlest there making displays smalled then 55 that oLED now.. still way to expensive.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Around 32" would be welcome, although I won't get one instantly anyhow because it will have a too high price as well..

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah agreed but I'm sure we'll have micro-LED monitors before affordable 32" OLED's.

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I think that will take even more time. There's at least a 31.5" OLED monitor coming out this year as G3D previously reported on

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    42" also due in 2021, first LG OLED TV under 48".

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    How much? :eek:

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I haven't even tried with the RTX yet but with my previous GTX I tried playing Nioh (which is quite dark) and it looked the best a dark game could look on a C8 oled (60hz)
    was especially surprised by the sharpness of the asphalt on GTA4 you could really see the grain on it even while going fast, without enough fps for 4K I gave up playing on it, now I have enough just didn't have time to set it up yet

18. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    A 42" LG OLED would be an interesting gaming screen, I love my ASUS PG35VQ 35" ultrawide and the 48" LG screen was just too big for me. Only went for the PG35VQ when it was reduced in the Amazon Black Friday 3 week sale by £700, still an expensive purchase at £1,800. The lower bezel is 75 cms from my table edge, that distance works well for me with this monitor.

19. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I'm sure it looks amazing but 90 cms from a 55" screen would be too close for me. my eyes about 90 cms from my monitor

20. Crest

Crest Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Got the 48CX with a 3090 MSI TRIO, HDR 4K 4:4:4 120Hz ! It's just amazing.

Playing Battlefield V or CP2077 at max settings including RTX on this screen is just next level !
    I've put a screensaver after 2 minutes.

Some cons :
    Glossy
    Lot of On Screen messages (Game Mode On, HDR, ...)
    Doesn't turn On or Off when Computer starts/sleep/off

alanm likes this.