Guru3D Q1 Winter 20/21 PC Buyer Guide

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It has been a while since the last version of this guide, the world is very much a changed place since then. The pandemic of the SARS-COV-2 / COVID-19 virus has thoroughly left its mark on 2020 and 20...

Guru3D Q1 Winter 20/21 PC Buyer Guide

XenthorX and Embra like this.
  2. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    In all honesty, I wouldn't advise to buy a B450 mobo to anyone building a new pc in 2021, apart from those trying to save every last penny. B550 will usually give you more features, higher CPU boost clocks and better compatibility for future upgrades, Yes it will cost you rougly an extra 50$, but for a midrange build they are well spent, in my opinion.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Graphics card:
    Low/medium budget: Keep dreaming.
    High budget: You actually get a medium budget card for a high budget price, from a very limited selection.
    Extreme budget: 3090 or 6900XT. Rejoice, you actually may be able to buy one, but the price will be extreme indeed.

4. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    Regarding GPUs, the best advice you can give to someone building a new system in the low/mid range is to buy an older generation, second hand card (which in most cases will still do fine at 1080p), stick with it untill prices go back to normal. Not very exciting I know...
    but still better than nothing.

Kaarme likes this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice guide although a little pointless because GPUs are almost impossible to buy...

Solfaur likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Great guide in a worse possible time.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    interesting dilemma:
    i7 10700k or 5600X

Page 2 error:
    BLOCKCHAIN is not included in Computer Jargon
    :eek:

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then I must have had misread that something about D*-heads. :D

As far as part with "budget GPUs" and situation being different in each country. Top selling GPUs here are GT 710 and GT 1030.
    No way to buy anything newer or better. So guys, keep sending your $$$ earned through hard work to minors in China, Iran, ...
    That will certainly make them stop from bypassing supply chains and getting graphics and laptops at bulk from manufacturers.

Or we may stop being stupid and tell MSI, ASUS, ... to stop making cards in China if they can't guarantee their shipments from such location to rest of the world.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I would because:
    - it's less expensive than A520 in most case
    - it's totaly a bargain in price compared with a B550 motherboard (there is even X470 that are less expensive with more argument too)
    - have the bigger CPU choise than the 5 series (Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3)
    - bring on table more than A520 (overclocking and boost is the same btw etc etc)

The only bad point versus B550 is only the PCIe 4.0 wich is irelevant versus A520 wich is in PCIe 3.0 too.

So yes you can do a great medium segment pair with even a Zen3 (i have put a 5600X on the one i have with 2 X 32g... opportunity with a shop that have no GPU to put with them ;) ).
    And the price saved permit to put more memory (never enough) or better SSD (on that point too, you can save more: PCIe 3.0 are less expensive, and not so less fast compared with PCIe 4.0 version).

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    hmmm regarding the situation we have the choise: IGP, APU, GT 710 1g for low end, GT 710 2g for mid range and GT 730 2g for high end... (maybe i am trolling... but sadly it is the actual choise)

11. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I don't know... I had a system equipped with a 3700x on a (decent) B450, all bios updates done etc, switched to a spare B550 I recycled from another system and gained +100mhz on multicore boost (the rest of the system was unchanged, same cooling etc. ).
    My bro has a 5800x on a x570 that is boosting all core at 4650, we tested it on the B450 and it was boosting at 4400, then we tested on the B550... it was boosting at 4600.

Most B450 have worse power phases than most B550 mobos.
    Let's say that 2-3 years from now you will feel the need to upgrade your CPU... 5900x will be a lot cheaper by then and could give you a nice upgrade over the 3600 you are buying now, you are going to have an harder time getting the max out of a 5900x with a B450.

I will add that no one knows for sure what AMD has in store for the near futrure... let's say they'll release something along the line of the XT 3000s... and let's say for some reason B450 will not support them.

To put it short, I would not advise anyone building a new mid range system in 2021 to buy a 2018 mobo, just to save 50$.
    If we are speaking of a low end PC, it's a different story, but not a mid range system.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    "I have been building PCs since 2014" HH

That has to be an error.

13. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Probably because it's not Hilbert's article ;)

jbscotchman likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Oh I see..

Who is this Raffaele fella?

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It depend on 3 things:
    - The agesa (should be equivalent (i haven't said the same) ) latest on my board mean same boost than on my X570 on Zen2 and Zen3 the acceptation of 128g of ram, and beta of SAM / PAR

- The powerphase, most A520 and B550 have the same than A320 and B450 so it's point that is very important, as an exemple a 11 phase A320 never have throttle down with 3900X while a 5 phase B450 will have issue... it should fit your processor, cheap Gigabyte and Asus are weak on this point even on B550, premium one are OK. The B450 he chose is very strong on that and OC as hell.

- The brand of the motherboard, i know that some will desagree, but i really think that on AM4 Asus and Gigabyte are just OK, but a step back from Asrock and MSI.
    Last point the future proofing of those motherboard: the socket AM4 is near his end of life, next one should be next gen Zen and use DDR5, so motherboard bough today is for actual CPU and maybe a refresh only. (but it's better than the futureproof on actual Intel)

To have tested my 5600X on my X570 (asrock) then put definitively on my B450 (MSI), because i had already a Zen2 with more core, so zen3 better on the old one, i can tell that result are the same on CPU side.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The guy responsible for making these guides since 2017? :)

Noisiv likes this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    pg.jpg

18. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    Happy to hear you had a good experience with a 5000s on a B450.
    My experience, however, is different. Despite the fact that temps were under control and despite all the effort put into bios tweaking trying to squeeze the max out of the system, on the B450 there was no way we could achive the same boost levels we could on B550 or x570 on both the 5800x and the 3700x (smaller differences here).

In a mid range system, I would really invest a little more on be mobo and get PCE 4.0 and full support for the latest high end CPUs, 3 years from now you will have more options for a quick upgrade to the system.
    Just my 2 cents.

19. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Always a pleasure to read this kind of guides. Thanks HH.

20. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    U cant build a system when crucial components are not on a market for almost 1/2 of a year already. Its sad how much work went in this article, considering its currently useless.