ClockTuner 2.0 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2021.

1. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Thanks H , used your setting for DOCS , set #1 to 4.7 / #2 4.55 , AVX runs no problems. Capture1821.PNG

2. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Guys, I'm preparing a major update for you that will make your interaction with profiles easier and provide more powerful features in the future. It will be announced on February 15.

3. guilamu

guilamu Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Thanks. Have you fixed the issue with the program not starting on boot (I have to run it manually after each boot for now)?

4. Ozmandi

Ozmandi Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3080
    Not sure what fixed it but it opened this morning.
    I uninstalled a lot of programs, updated to the 20H2 version of windows and ran all kinds of diagnostic on it the past couple of days.

upload_2021-2-12_6-40-57.png

So now the fun begins!

trieste915 likes this.

5. Thelgow

Thelgow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    So when would the undervolt recommendations come in? I read somewhere to plug that into P1 when using Hybrid, but for me the undervolt is 250MHz less than the P1 suggestion, so when my pc is semi stressed 25-75% it wont be full power? That's acceptable? 99% of the time when my cpu is worked its for a game, so just trying to get a feel for my options here.

6. prmax

prmax Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Good question. If I set the undervolt to P1 do I then copy the replaced P1 to P2 or leave the overclock P2.

7. trieste915

trieste915 Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    P2 takes the values as recommended - it's for lightly threaded loads.

Underclocked replaces the recommended P1 if you want the CPU to be cooler when running full or nearly full throttle.

prmax and Ozmandi like this.
  8. Lee harton

Lee harton Guest

GPU:
    Rtx 2060 super
    Great little utility this!
    But, could somebody possibly give me some insight into a warning that keeps coming up.

using
    *msi tomahawk max motherboard,
    *ryzen 9 3900xt
    *arctic liquid freezer 280 cooling
    *32gb viper blackout 3200mhz ram
    *thermaltake 650w psu

ive followed the guides to the letter. Everything that needs to be enabled or auto is so.

Diagnostics show mine is a silver sample
    P1 1.25w 4250mhz
    P2 1.35w 4350mhz

Can Tune profile 1 without a hitch.
    Ccx1 4350
    Ccx2 4325
    Ccx3 4250
    Ccx4 4225

Problem occurs tuning profile 2.
    Initially I get the warning message about LLC compensation...which...a few sources have said to ignore.
    As it goes through the tuning process I get a warning saying "current LLC mode can damage your processor"

LLC mode is on auto as recommended in the guide..tried LLC 3 but same warning.
    Profile 2 actually completes its tuning process even with the warning.

Ccx1 4450
    Ccx2 4425
    Ccx3 4375
    Ccx4 4350
    Temps were great too

any insight into to that warning message would be greatly appreciated...im concerned about using profile 2 if indeed it will damage my cpu

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    ~~ You will sell your cpu/motherboard to me now ~~

What kind of cooling you're getting, i think it might be my bottleneck for the rating. Shame i want some gold too. :oops:

Energy Efficient : 3.94 here on my 5900X

HARDRESET likes this.
  10. Thelgow

Thelgow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Sorry, I mixed up saying P1 vs P2. So P1 is when its the most stressed. Where Undervolt would be P2. I guess not knowing how often Im in 25-75% which is 275Mhz lower than the recommended P2 . Im a bit lost with the hybrid oc and undervolt together. Recommendations have P2 stronger than P1, but P1 would be when the most stress is happening so wouldnt you want the power there?
    Thus far I just plugged in the old ctr1.1 results to P1, leaving hybrid off for now.

11. trieste915

trieste915 Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    Undervolt goes into P1. My understanding, and personal preference, is for the optimised undervolting settings to go into P1 so that a lot of power is saved for a significant perf gain over default PBO.

You generally do not want P2 settings at high CPU usage because it's dangerous to run over 1.3 V at high temperatures for extended periods of time. Not really danger per se but degradation is accelerated when temp and voltage come together like this for Ryzen CPUs.

So the idea goes like this: let PBO work its powersaving downclocks and safe frequency and voltage spikes at very low CPU loads, then let P2 with its 1.35 V run safely at mid CPU loads where temps stay safe, while P1 kicks in when you need extended high CPU usage operation at much lower temps and higher perf than what PBO does because the high temps of PBO always restrict how high the freqs and voltages can go.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Any ideas on unlocking/waking up that 2nd CCD on those 5600X/5800X that have two?

13. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Trade for your 3090 :D

Ozmandi likes this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'll pass on the deal huhu :eek:

HARDRESET likes this.
  15. ieronymous

ieronymous Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Hello
    Since I ve read many guides several times but in my opinion they fail to give you a good overview of the shifting method the CTR 2.0 uses, I ll write down what I ended up doing.
    Noticed that in the profile management page the p1 has a box informing the % which the cpu has to reach (probably one or both ccxs) in order to take the lead.Down below the p2 profile has 2 boxes with % which in turn means that the p2 profile is going to be used mostly under no load because you could fill the % with 0-70 or similar. After that p1 profile will take place.
    So the way profiles are shown to the user are opposite of the way diagnostics suggest to use the p1 profile with 1250mv and the p2 with 1350mv (with the corresponding frequencies after the tune) Its like proposing use higher voltage for everyday usage and lower when the power of the cpu is really needed (I am pretty sure I am missign something here but I can t get what exactly in order to understand how ctr uses the profies)
    Finally what I did was : After the recommended values given to me by the program
    DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS
    AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
    Max temperature: 65,6°
    Energy efficient: 3,55
    Your CPU is SILVER SAMPLE
    Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1250 mV
    Reference frequency: 4175 MHz
    Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1350 mV
    Reference frequency: 4300 MHz
    Recomended values for undervolting:
    Reference voltage: 1175 mV
    Reference frequency: 4025 MHz

I used p1 profile with the data from p1 profile as the OC one (profile). Then i filled in by hand (I am not sure if there was a point tuning with reference values the undevolting ones with prime95 as the result would be pretty sure the system to crash with only 1175mv) the undervolting values and saved both profiles and applied p2.
    Final configuration is
    25-70% ->undervolting values (1175 mV / 4025 MHz)
    >70%->p2 values (1250 mV / ccx1 4200 - ccx2 4175)

ANDDDDD..... set up power plan as Power Saver which made the big difference since for cpu load 0-25% it auto uses 0.9562v / 2194Mhz), ending up having 3 profiles that switches depending the cpu load.

I could replace p1 with 1350mv /4300 Mhz instead of 1250mv / 4200Mhz and let p2 and power plan as it is now.

PS 1.By the way with b550 asus rog strix 550e-gaming (16 power phases), am I supposed to set LLC to level 3 or auto? (Because the CTR 1.1 guide proposed the LLC being set to 3, The CTR 2 mentions just most options to auto)

2.By the way core temp / cpu-info / hw-info / CTR all shows different Vin and I can't calculate teh difference of what I set and what I get in order to calculate the vdrop because of motherboard electronic characteristics (vrm, power division ...etc)

16. sloppypuke

sloppypuke Guest

GPU:
    MSI Armor OC 1080
    Anyone know why CTR profiles break when you go into sleep mode? Like you put your pc in sleep, wake it up and sign in, and the voltage and frequencies are all over the place fluctuating like hell and if you forget to notice it could cause some serious damage.

Ozmandi likes this.
  17. alpha007org

alpha007org Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3
    Hi.
    I was using 1.X without a problem. But after Tuning CTRv2 benchmark the system, the main window of CTR is all grey/background color. If I press Win+D CTR closes itself and it's not running (If I look for its Process in Task Manager).

Any Idea?

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Actually, I've had a decent result @ 1350mV that I'm happy with:

https://valid.x86.fr/zvzjtl

This is similar to if not exactly what I saw with CTR 1.0 b1, except for the fact that 1.0 b1 would actually run @ 1250, and CTR 2.0 doesn't! System crashes every time with 1250 as the reference voltage even though the diagnostic runs successfully @ 1175mV. Starting with a reference voltage of 1350mV, however, CTR 2.0 runs fine. (I really like the "Advanced" feature on the Tuner page--very handy!) 1350 allows higher core overclocks while still remaining below the 1500mV the CPU normally sees at maximum. The max single-core boost is gone, of course, because manual overclocking mode is invoked, but overall as most if not all of my games and applications can make use of more than a single core, performance is propelled higher than would be the case at stock voltages and clocks with single-core boost functioning. I could get 4.65GHz single-core boost air-cooled with the stock Wraith Prism fan, but the CTR clocking is perceptibly faster, while running cooler with less voltage. Nice!

I've been using the 1usmus Ryzen Universal PP (latest version) with very good results, too.

19. trieste915

trieste915 Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    P1 suggested values or undervolt values go into P1. My understanding, and personal preference, is for the optimised undervolting settings to go into P1 so that a lot of power is saved for a significant perf gain over default PBO.

You generally do not want P2 settings at high CPU usage because it's dangerous to run over 1.3 V at high temperatures for extended periods of time. Not really danger per se but degradation is accelerated when temp and voltage come together like this for Ryzen CPUs.

So the idea goes like this: let PBO work its powersaving downclocks and safe frequency and voltage spikes at very low CPU loads, then let P2 with its 1.35 V run safely at mid CPU loads where temps stay safe, while P1 kicks in when you need extended high CPU usage operation at much lower temps and higher perf than what PBO does because the high temps of PBO always restrict how high the freqs and voltages can go.

Ozmandi and ieronymous like this.
  20. ieronymous

ieronymous Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Thank you for your answer. The thing that slipped my mind was that voltage (therefore temperature) and frequency don t go well together (which is pretty logical according to physics laws and Moore's - jumping electrons). The part that I disagree is that pbo does its work. I dont think it does ,when at idle with 0-5% cpu load keeps the voltage 1.48v with high vdrops and up again. It is the power saver mode of Windows (except if Win is using the PBO at low power consumption) that does the work with 0.962v and 2.2Ghz