What changes did nvidia make to HDCP or DSC a few drivers back? Who is at fault?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PittyH, Feb 11, 2021.

1. PittyH

PittyH Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    Who is at fault Club3d or Nvidia?

Product Name: DisplayPort™1.4 to HDMI™ 4K120Hz HDR Active adapter M/F
    Product Series: Adapter
    Itemcode: CAC-1085
    EAN code: 8719214471538
    UPC code: 841615101726
    Features:
    • Compliant with VESA DisplayPort™ v1.4 Specification
    • Compliant with HDMI™ v2.1 Specification
    • Support HDCP 1.4 and HDCP2.2
    • Support DSC v1.2a and backward compatible with the former version

• Support Max. resolution/refresh rates up to 4k@120Hz
    • Support Dynamic HDR
    • Sound Support 5.1-7.1

I used to be able to watch netflix on my 4K@120hz desktop on my lg C9 and club3d cac-1085 dp-hdmi2.1 adapter.

Ever since v451.67 or later things have gone downhill for the 2080ti and this adpater and lg C9. The latest nvidia drivers won't even allow 4k@120hz through the adapter. (Some DSC changes?)

Without this adapter I am stuck on 60hz.

Who is making changes? What changes are they, and why?

If the adapter is compliant with all the standards listed above, and only driver software changes are breaking the workings, then wouldn't that point to nvidia?

This is ridiculous, all i wanted was 4K120hz and netflix to work without throwing hdcp errors. And to be able to actually get 4k120hz on the latest drivers.

I paid a lot of money for this setup, now a few nvidia driver changes and it's all gone to crap.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Both

DSC doesn't support HDCP

3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    456.98 hotfix driver is the last working driver to support 4k@120hz RGB on that adapter.

There was a fix in 457.09 regarding DSC/black screen issues which is likely what causes the adapter to be limited to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, as DSC is always active when using the adapter with an HDMI 2.1 display.

Users have made Nvidia aware, but no response about it yet from Club3D or Nvidia (that i have seen).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I found the Club 3D CAC-1080 to be highly deficient on 2 counts.
    It wont let my very common Denon AVR connect at anything but 16bit 48KHz. No other options are available. With direct HDMI I can use 24/192 on all channels.
    I asked them about this and they said they dont have my AVR to test with so cant fix it, bullshit response.
    Now I have a Samsung G9 Ultra widescreen display and it wont allow me to go above 1024x768 res unless I hot swap, then it works fine.
    I'm sure as hell not going to hot swap cables each time I want to use my main display!
    They dont give a damn when their adapters dont work.

Seriously be careful when choosing a Club3D adapter.
    Not that there is anything better but dont con yourself into believing they have the solution to your problem!

Because of the 2 above problems I have no use for my Club3D adapter, a right waste of money.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021

5. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    If you have that aorus 3090 xtreme, for what reason do you need the cac-1080?

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My other PC is my media machine and has a 1080ti.

7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Gotcha, are you trying to use multiple HDMI ports somehow?

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah, one of the DP inputs to my new monitor died but is otherwise absolutely perfect.
    I read horror stories of people getting refurbs of these monitors with lots of issues, so rather than send it back to receive a refurb replacement I decided to live with it. Unfortunate.
    That means I need to use its HDMI in from my media PC for everyday browsing and games that dont need a 3090.
    Then the 3090 gets 120Hz Gsync via the last working DP input.

The single true HDMI out from my media PC has to go to my Receiver for surround sound, the only way to get up to 24/192 with movies and surround music.
    My hifi is rather good, its sacrilege to feed it the 16bit 48KHz my Club 3D CAC-1080 maxes at :D
    For now I change what is connected to HDMI out depending on what I'm doing, hmph.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are no asic displayport adapters that allow more than 16bit audio

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Unfortunate.
    Its a shame Club 3D support couldnt express that.

11. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Errr i have a 3m no name cable that is DP to HDMI and it is connected to Onkyo 646 AVR and i get 24bit up to 192kHz. It wont push anything above 1080p on that cable concerning video but tbh i dont care, i only use it for audio.

Why not use passthru from your AVR? Is it an older model or are you trying to avoid lag by not going the passthru route?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sounds like a passive DP++ cable, which don't actually have a fully on part conversion from DP to HDMI, these cables when attached to a DP++ capable source sense detect the connected device and then send a standard TMDS hdmi signal.

I'm specifically talking about Displayport adapter chips that get embedded in active cables and converters, nobody has produced one that does >16bit audio restreaming.

13. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Well wouldnt such solution work for him? Use such cable instead of an adapter just for audio?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nobody has produced a DP++ cable for HDMI 2.1

15. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    I said just for audio, same as my setup...

i also use HDMI 2.1 tv (which is connected directly to HDMI) and output 4k@120Hz but then i use this DP->HDMI cable to just do sound to my AVR... basically until i turn on AVR my tv will be primary sound device and when i turn on AVR it will seamlessly become the main audio device. Couldnt this work for him?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah yeah, thats fair, i mean with the receiver chip issue anyway its probably simpler to just use 2 hdmi ports.

PPC likes this.
  17. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Thats how i got to my 2 cable setup, way too many issues with passthru + added lag. Two cables solved everything basically.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I tried my passthrough 1080p DP adapter but would you believe, it doesnt support audio at all lol.
    It came free with a gfx card.
    The downside anyway, its a media PC, it needs a UHD adapter for video.

Yeah, the less lag the better.
    Plus the AVR gets used for satellite audio/video during the day so I'd be watching TV, not my PC, on the monitor.

I'm resigned swapping HDMI plugs to the PC, its easy enough and is guaranteed to work perfectly.

19. PittyH

PittyH Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    Yeah, thanks for hijacking the thread, lol I don't care about Audio.

Anyway, seems there's finally been an aknowledgment of the issue.
    • Displayport-to-HDMI 2.1 protocol converter clock limited to 600MHz pixel clock [3202060]
    This lol, would probably be the main reason.....

I mean frack me, how does something this massive make it into drivers?

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for letting it happen :)
    Some issues rarely get answers that help, your thread netted a few useful snippets.

I hope a fix for your issue sees the light of day.
    Is that an NVidia or Club3D driver issue?