CD Projekt RED victim of attack - Source Code Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3 and more out on the Street

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2021.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I think its all an inside job because they know they cant fix the game without redesigning fundamental gameplay systems.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    All those years of modding and yet you're still completely wrong about the issue with subnautica

It has nothing to do with deformation/terrain, its actually caused by an issue with the tracking of respawnable collectables once a zone has been visited and things have been removed from there the game goes overboard and doesn't cap the "generator", of a certain kelp forest other then that theres also a serious performance issue with the games lighting pass system (it seems to spam lighting changes instead of batching updates)

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Valve--Newell, specifically--did the same thing when he had trouble meeting shipping dates for HL2. "Valve servers hacked!" I remember it well--and I also remember that it was just a bit too convenient to be believable at the time. Many years ago, the universal excuse for developer incompetence was, "Gee, we got a virus and it infected everything!" Today, it's "We got hacked!" Supposedly, this is some sort of catch-all excuse.

Conveniently, now the "hackers" have announced that they found a buyer and have taken the source off the "market"--supposedly. Why would very valuable source code for Witcher games be on CDPR company machines that are connected to the Internet? How convenient--for "hackers" that is. The separate Gwent source code is for a game that went bust for CDPR--CDPR has said often that the Gwent game was a big disappointment. It certainly didn't interest me as a standalone game.

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1359890201686990863

All of this seems overly convenient to me--it's just too close to the CP2077 debacle. If I had to judge CDPR's competence as a game developer, and I saw CP2077 before I saw Witcher 3, I would never have believed CDPR could have made a Witcher 3 game. Conversely, looking at Witcher 3 few would believe something like CP2077 could come from CDPR. The whole thing smacks of tales yet untold.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I most definitely don't wish to conflate the issues with Cyberpunk 2077, with what I view as an entirely separate matter of CDPR's IP being stolen. And, subsequently being held for some unspecified ransom. I fail to see how the first issue in any way is related to, or mitigates the illegality of, the second.

I don't own, and haven't played the game. I very much am a fan of CDPR's earlier games, but the despite the long development cycle on Cyberpunk 2077, I felt certain there would be very little chance that the game would release without problems. Without question, it appears Cyberpunk 2077 exceeded that expectation in a decidedly negative manner. Being of the mindset that, you only get to play a new game, for the first time, just once, I was going to give this title a year to settle down and get it's feet firmly under it. This latest drama has turned that deadline into a sort of a so-called movable feast. And, it doesn't seem to be moving in a good direction.

Now, my desires for the perpetrator(s) remains the same as for all cyber-bandits; flash-bangs and hot lead. And, an abundance of the latter. We've all accepted this form of lawlessness too gracefully for far too long. My wish to Polish law enforcement would be, "Good hunting."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021

5. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    I'll pardon your ignorance on the matter as likely just not having followed the development of it as closely as I had at the time, but the early development HL2 source and assets WERE leaked and in an extremely inopportune time. Valve PR was doing everything it could to convey that they were making great progress with the game and development was very far along, so this was the proverbial excrement hitting the proverbial air circulation device.

When news of it surfaced I sought out a copy which were being spread around online like wildfire and was fortunate enough to have an incredible 1Mbps (oh my, how far we've come!) business connection to work with, so I downloaded it overnight and tried it for myself.
    It exposed something Valve didn't want getting out at the time: the game wasn't anywhere near close to done, despite how behind schedule it already was.

While the leak did nothing to slow down their development (and I don't ever recall them claiming such,) it DID expose how much work on the game wasn't even been started on yet, at the time when they were talking big about what the game was shaping up to be.

It wasn't "convenient" then and personally, I don't believe the end result of HL2 was worth all the hype anyway. (Though the engine they made continues to prove its worth to this day!)

Addendum: Also, from what I've gathered and according to CDPR, this isn't going to slow down their work, so I don't see your point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Chess and mbk1969 like this.
  6. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    Cyberpunk 2077 was such a disappointment for me,

I watched all the preview videos each month and was very excited for this game,
    I even bought the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox one X edition in anticipation.

after watching all the videos on release and I tried the PC version and laughing in sadness at the bugs, the joke of the crowd, what happened to the city streets all NPC had a job or a task, you could follow anyone and see their day OMG what a mess.

Dont get me started on the police, that was the straw for me and I got as far as the create character screen on my xbox one X and quit the game, I just couldn't put myself through the disappointment and refuse to play the game until its well.. fixed as described. working police that hunt you not teleport on your head. street crowds that go about their business and you can actually talk to them not the stupid scripted responses or the fact that tripping over a stone causes 50 npc to duck and cover,, what an utter disgraceful mess.

but after all that,,,, I wouldn't wish CDPR to get hacked, the hacker I hope they get what they deserve and get a sentence of what is actually theft, stealing someone else's property,

just because its not a physical person running away with your TV from you house its still theft,

sbacchetta and jbscotchman like this.
  7. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Anyone care to explain very briefly what a game's source code is and why it matters?

10. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    A very basic, crude way to explain is to simply say that a game's "source code" IS the game, it's all of it. With a game's source code you can change, tweak, modify, remove, re-build everything and anything as long as you know how to do it; and of course as long as you have the software (the game's engine) to work with. It's like being part of the dev team and having access to the full game's "internals" (that only the devs have access to), practically the same they do at work themselves, when they work on / patch it / create content, etc. Even when a game company decide to release "modding tools", those are usually at least limited to a certain extent and isn't giving you actual full access to everything (I.E. you can only modify "stuff" that the developers and/or publishers allow you to modify).

It is a major breach, and even though they don't word it as such, it is absolutely not something they wanted. They're staying calm enough in their public statements, but internally I'm sure some of the people from the dev team have been pulling their hair off, perhaps literally so. This represents years of work regardless of what anyone of us here thinks of the 'final product'. It's broken because they needed more years of work and it was instead rushed out, not because they're a bunch of mere incompetent fools. The management of CDPR is to blame for the game's failure, not the dev team. The team who made Witcher 3 wouldn't have done what we're looking at in CP2077 if they had released it in a more realistic time frame around 2022 or 2023. They do NOT "deserve" this crap. The only thing the dev team deserves are new bosses and new management in the company they work for.

On a side note (just thinking out loud here), anyone who believes that because the source code will circulate the web means that modders will "fix the game" are 500% mistaken and delusional. This will not "save" the game. This is an illegal distribution of source code. Any modders who get their hand on it and 'poke around' the game and then decide to share their game-changer mod is exposing him/herself (or themselves) to 100% real and serious consequences if CDPR decides to go against them. And yes, the company would know if the mod was created using even just parts of the source code; simply because the company knows what wouldn't have been possible to mod in the first place without it. In short, it would be illegal to produce ANY mod using ANY amount or part of that leaked source code, period.

So ya'll don't get your "hopes up" because the source code was leaked. The dev team themselves are still the ones who need to work on and update the game. No amount of modders out there with the source code will send you their own custom patch on GoG or Steam, and none of them in their right mind would share anything produced with the code on the game's Nexus page either. If anything is ever done using the code it would be distributed by private means (and would be illegal nonetheless).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    DannyD likes this.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Well said and thanks.
    So the game's source code works with the game's engine, i totally get it now Zenoth thanks again.

12. NGGJimmy

NGGJimmy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX570Pulse
    Why folks says CDPR deserved this because of CP77? Why don't you go on all other triple A devs like EA/Ubi/Acti/2K and on and whine there hoping they get hacked too, the same companies that scam you every year big time.

Silva and Chess like this.
  13. SlxTeN

SlxTeN Member

GPU:
    Rog Matrix RTX280Ti
    This is really sad, CD Project will be last company who tried to make more complex and immersive games, no other company will do it now because no one wants to deal with such drama. Battle Royals are only safe bet now.

Silva and Solfaur like this.
  14. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I don't think so: look at GTA5 and RDR2. TES6 will come as well.
    What they SHOULD do is don't talk about it till it's reached gold status, a-la Valve.
    Annoying as f*k, but it works.

Silva likes this.
  15. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I dont wish it upon them, I just say its karma. Scam and get scammed.
    And hell yea they scammed ppl when they released the console versions, saying it "runs better than expected" than banned the review sites from using the ingame footage so the scam could go on.
    Yes then they said, you can return the game to us, we did not know its in such a bad shape (another LIE) - but you know how it is. Millions of casuals did not even read these news, they got shafted and thats how it is. Or their parents bought it for them, and the kids just did not care to deal with anything and just said "this game suxx" and that was it. So scam for a scam, thats the harsh reality. If just a 1 000 000 ppl did not return the game because they did not know its possible - thats 60 000 000 euro right there, BOOOM!

You can dislike it, you can write essays about it, but it changes nothing. It was karma.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    The Reeferman likes this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Gta5 was an amazing port rdr2 bumpy start fixed now still not nearly the lvl of cyberpunk. Tes6 .... well we are talking about bathesda here They have a strong history of buggy mesh releases tes5 was one of em , fallout4 too and funny thing on fallout76 a lot of bugs that where fixed years ago by moders and official patches on 4 made a comeback on 76 :p eventually thought they either fixed 76 or people forgot about it . I am looking forward to tes6 who knows it might be the first bug free bathesda game!

17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Oh you are still here with this childish idea? i thing on page one we asked you to go somewhere else.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    No, TES6 will be just as buggy as the ones before. Bethesda knows that fans will fix most of the little, annoying bugs that are present in the thousands, whereas they only need to fix the big ones needing actual code changes. They will do it in a very relaxed manner, no hurry. Nobody will expect anything else from Bethesda. CDPR apparently had made the fatal mistake of creating too high fame for itself. People expected the unrealistic. Bethesda has used the galaxy brain method of making sure people know a Bethesda game will absolutely have great many bugs in the beginning, so nobody but those born yesterday will really go out of their way to blame them for it.

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Kaarme i am 99.99% sure tes will be buggy but there is no limit to dreams ! :p

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Meh, CDPR made 2 great games in first 2 Witcher games and then they sold out. Actually, I would say half of the success of the first 2 games was them being carried by a great novel. Regardless, I loved the first 2 Witcher games, utter gems.

Skyrim hit jackpot with it's open world, TW3 followed with the open world nonsense full of pointless map markers that meant absolutely nothing. But that was the trend so they jumped on it, completely breaking the immersion. Absolute sell out and a step towards watering down the series.

Then they released Cyberpunk 2077, a Sci-Fi GTA only years later and a lot more crappy. No sympathy. After the delays and all the pre prelease crap they chatted about how this game is going to be this and that, about how they're dellaying the game because they want it to be good on release.

Cry me a river.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    carnivore likes this.