Cryptocurrency mining makes a move to RTX 3000 Series Laptops

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    And this is why we can't have nice things....

Keitosha, akbaar, nick0323 and 4 others like this.
  3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    2017 GPU mining craze is happening again, but this year it's going to be even worse, wish that I'm wrong but... :( Long term looking this doesn't looking good for PC as a platform, many will abandon PC as a entusiast/gaming hobby and find something else, many will never come back again even when situation returns to normal and guess some of those who were using PC for productivity workloads willing to upgrade to something more powerfull will turn their heads to the newest Apple products. Really hope that this cripto bubble is going to burst as soon as possible...

akbaar, Airbud, Legacy-ZA and 3 others like this.
  4. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Gaming laptops?!
    What comes next?Smart watches?Smart appliances in the kitchen?
    This will end up very bad this time...

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I understand now why video cards are so hard to purchase for anyone outside of China..... because they aren't leaving China.

Keitosha, Airbud, Lebon30 and 10 others like this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Very sad, i wish they banned this fake money business already.

I guess sooner or a later it's gonna be a huge issue anyways due to power consumption, and more people have electric cars that need charging as well. The powernet won't be able to handle it anymore.

Keitosha, buhehe, Kosmoz and 2 others like this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Maybe, somehow, this will make people and corporation to move to solar energy.
    Call me optimistic and a dreamer.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seeing how Tesla invested 1.5 billion dollars in bitcoin and apparently you can soon buy a Tesla car with bitcoin, I don't see much hope for a better tomorrow. As far as I know (which isn't much), folks can mine the GPU heavy crypto and exchange them easily for bitcoin. If nobody cared about the other crypto, only bitcoin, maybe there would be a bit of hope left. However, the current development seems to be the opposite, crypto becoming more and more legitimate all the time. I haven't seen even environmentalists campaigning against it, despite the huge energy consumption. Maybe because crypto is useful for the drug trade.

9. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    This is out of control

Legacy-ZA and Venix like this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    You know that every currency in the world is not backed on anything right ? After 1971 there is no gold standard
    .The money in our wallets is just paper ...ever wondered what will happen when people in mass realize that there is nothing behind money ? And all the stimulus money at the moment they get printed created out of thin air .

@Kaarme yes indeed crypto is responsible for the drug trade before 2014 there was no way to do anything illegal and especially drug trafficking was not existent pre crypto ! Sarcasm aside i totally agree about the consumption on the other hand i would love to see folding @ home getting rewarded with crypto and this booming , at least that way the calculation efforts go to a good cause.

I guess it is another fever period after the gold fever and the oil fever now we have the crypto fever . :(

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Backstabak, Passus and Kevin Mauro like this.

11. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    It just seems insane to me. All that hardware and power consumption to "create" something that does not really exist.

I think a lot of folks see this crypto thing wrong. I don't think it was created to make millionaires or not even as a place to invest money. The true power in it is that you can move money around the world without the big banks or governments getting involved. That's actually why they dislike it so much in my opinion.

It has real power and function, but this mining thing is not what it's about. This is just people trying to get rich quick which has happened since the beginning of time.

12. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Nothing will happen. So long as people are at least moderately comfortable they tend not to care. It's human nature. Now let things get tough and that is a different story.

Venix likes this.
  13. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Selfish parasites that inflate energy tariffs and damage everyone's economy.

Lebon30, Legacy-ZA, Keitosha and 4 others like this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Eventually things callapse i hope you are right though....sadly after we are done with covid inflation will strike hard . Usa alone created 40% extra dollars inflation in prices is not shown yet but it is always where it ends up.

15. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    I cannot think of a time in history where things REALLY changed drastically that was not precipitated by hard times whether that be something man made or an act of God. My point being that things will trod along as they are until something really goes sideways.

screwtech02 likes this.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Only hope is for governments to take action against crypto coins. Mining with dedicated hardware I don't care, but when a normal parent can't even buy his kid a laptop: it's sickening.
    As someone said in this thread, we can't buy hardware because it doesn't leave China. We have a serious problem here that AMD and Nvidia need to sort out on their end too.

17. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Well I like the crypto,amazing how many good people in the world that hate crypto.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well i am not saying the fall of fiat currency will be bad or good , well immediately after the fall if it happens will be bad but in the long run ? We can't know might be ultimately a good thing. Yes i agree that things will tug along till things go sideways .

DarkQuark likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Never done any mining myself, but I did "invest" a bit in bitcoin (big mistake, only losses) in the past and I really, really hate what the whole cryptocurrency "scene" has become.

While I did believe, and still do, that there is a future for crypto (that is if we don't have some extinction event happening that brings us back to the stone age), in this shape and form it is just too much. At the same time it shows how greed in a "wild capitalism" like this (in "communist" China nonetheless, lol) can mess things up. The makers of the hardware get tons of money, yet consumers and environment get rekt.

Very, very messed up times, however for some few out there, it's the best times ever...

One thing is sure though, unless the market crashes HARD again, I will never see an Ampere card this year. It won't even matter how much x times nvidia will ramp up production, all of it will be sucked up by miners.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  20. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    You want a government to take away a freedom (or a monetary option) so that you can more easily buy a laptop? I find that to be a short sighted and destructively self centered point of view. Don't get me wrong, I clearly disagree, but I am not at all saying you are not entitled to your opinion. I get it, crypto is a hot topic, but thinking the government can solve that (or anything) is just poor judgement in my opinion.

Airbud likes this.