Apple claims half of TSMC 5nm production capacity for 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I really hate apple and all their sheep that don't mind buying overpriced stuff.
    I doubt the initial production capacity of 5nm will be close to 7nm, it will be a slow transition over a couple of years.
    That said, I hope AMD and Nvidia secure more 7nm node production for 2021: I don't care about new products if the existent ones are either selling for triple msrp or out of stock!

386SX, Keitosha, mohiuddin and 7 others like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have a feeling AMD and Nvidia are only experimenting on 5nm products this year. Will any even hit the market, who knows. Maybe some AI compute/car stuff? Seeing how miners get most of the new GPUs, not gamers, the longevity of those products might be a bit higher. After all, I'm not sure if they can be said to have run their course when they are only mining ethereum, not running games.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Money talks.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So this means no CPUs or GPUs available this year...

I hope no part of my system dies...

Silva likes this.
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This is such bad news. This deal must truly be worth astronomical amounts of money and Apple seems hellbent on buying their way to success (like a software company we all know too well).

Everyone who managed to upgrade last year is lucky as there won't be anything to buy when the next generation of CPU/GPUs hit the shelves.

386SX likes this.
  7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    ^^ I think they have already bought themselves to success, now it staying on top for them.

8. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    i wont buy apple.
    they allow children to work on their product line.

moo100times likes this.
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Any product you buy that has a battery using cobalt, it was probably mined by a kid too.

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well seems like navi 3 and zen 4 will be n7+ or n6 :(

11. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    There will be a zen3+(7nm) before zen4 (5nm).

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no there won't.

Zen+ was a one off thing and only because they had to sign off on Zen before all of the intended feature set was fully tested and design ready.

13. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I claim 0.000000001% of TSMC production but it's not 5nm more like 180nm ahahaha ;)

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    seriously? there's such a high demand for yet another phone? which phone/tablet upgrade can you point at that truly does something that your current one doesnt? unlike today's phones and tablets coming out like rain, GPUs actually bring improvements that enable things that the previous gens could not, and macbooks are hardly a rounding error vs pc sales so wth, this graph must be accounting for TSMC opening salvo on 5nm

Keitosha likes this.
  15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean...Phones in general are overpriced in the higher end market. Samsung, LG, Oneplus, all of them are super expensive for what they are. Aside from phone companies giving deals for iPhones, that's one reason why aside from iPhones you see mid range android devices and older iPhones in circulation and use more than newer iPhones and flagship Android devices. Apple recently for their hardware in a good number of cases has been reasonable and competitively priced for what the market of said product is. I mean I can get a flagship level SoC in a $399 phone from Apple. That's really hard to beat.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sadly far too many chips are getting made from the same factories, not to mention we also have the new consoles, new phones, new cpus and new GPU's all be shoved into a 6 month-ish release window.

been very bad for consumers I have to say,

Phones sadly every year keeps climbing high and high on the top end, 3 years ago I got the top end phone for £700, now most are around £1000 sometimes more from the big companies. Turned out a ton cheaper to just get on contract this time.

That said phones have high bottlenecks, most generations are tiny jumps these days

17. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Honestly this is good news. I hope Apple eats up more of TSMC and forces Intel to stop outsourcing their own fabs invest largesse sums of wealth in expediting the production of more of their own to match. Not sure if AMD is liquid enough yet... but they can talk to the creditors

Lavcat likes this.
  18. CMDRZOD

CMDRZOD Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080Ti
    I think if ever the bottleneck at TSMC becomes too great, Apple will create their own fab. They are no doubt a preferred customer getting the best treatment. That said there is no doubt a bottleneck now that they have added the M1 chip to their orders. This order size will only increase as Apple puts this chip in more of their laptop and desktop PC's as they move away from Intel.

The only other possibility is TSMC greatly increasing production. I suppose this is possible but years away.

Crypto mining has destroyed any possibility of finding a card below the 3090. We are looking at a semi conductor crunch unlike anything ever seen before. Even if crypto prices crashed tomorrow demand is still extreme from all other sectors. We are looking at increased tech prices for the foreseeable future.

Keitosha likes this.
  19. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    I think the important thing will be next year if I considering AMD's next generation RDNA3 and ZEN4 architectures.
    Hopefully it will not be Apple who has 50% of shares next year otherwise we will have only paper launch of ZEN4 and RDNA3 with non existing supplies. :eek:
    The scalpers would be really happy about that.:oops:

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    sorry,my brain froze,2021 is this year.
    feels like 2020 lasted a decade.

there's nothing from amd/nvidia/intel that's supposed to come out on 5nm this year.
    but if this continues amd buyers better prepare for mind range cpus to stay at 400-500 usd

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Redemption80 and Kevin Mauro like this.