Weird 5700 XT problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chippyz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Also a noob when it comes to Linux, but looked to me like you should be able to run it from a flash drive - without installing it. May want to see how that's done on Youtube. Ubuntu looks to be a good choice for gaming: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Since at least 4 tests seem to run fine, makes sense for it to be some sort of a conflict...

2. nathan_asato@outlook

nathan_asato@outlook Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    I have RX 5700 GPU Reference, and same problem here. (using for 1 year, and the problem start 1 months ago)
    I think that fix for me:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/AMD-RX-5700-XT-crashes/td-p/8028196

1. Go into the Motherboard Bios and make sure you have the recent AGESA/Bios update for your mainboard installed.

2. Very important: Make sure you select the PCI Express 3 interface. A lot of people had issues when the setting is on Auto or PCI Express 4. It seems that Windows doesnt know what to do under load when the setting is on Auto/PCI Express 4.

3. Very important: Always make a clean install of the Adrenalin Driver. Install and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). After that install the newest driver 19.7.2 (20.11.1 for me)

4. If fix Nr. 3 didnt work for you try to install the driver via Windows Device Manager/Windows Update after you ran DDU.

5. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE MSI AFTERBURNER. DONT LET IT RUN IN THE BACKGROUND. DONT EVEN OPEN IT! (Credits to reddit User zqz110110)

6. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: DO NOT RUN ANY CPU, GPU MONITORING SOFTWARE IN THE BACKGROUND AT ALL! IF YOU WANT TO SEE FPS, USE STEAM, UPLAY, ORIGIN etc. They all conflict to the new RDNA architecture. (Credits to reddit User zqz110110)

7. Disable Freesync. Disabling this option fixed a lot of game crashes for people.

8. Disable Anti-Lag. Same as Nr. 5. This option caused various problems.

9. Important: Run CCleaner to clean your registry and reboot your system after that

10. Do a factory reset of the Adrenalin Software and then restart your computer.

11. If the game you're playing does not cap fps in menus it may cause a crash, get around this by turning on vsync or setting a frame limit. Undervolting can help in these situations as well (Credits to reddit user Shrike79)

12. Set your freesync range on your monitor - when set to “basic” I had constant crashes. “Extended” and I can play for hours. (Credits to reddit user _DuranDuran_)

Additionaly of this, i plugged PSU direct in the power, without nobreak, line filter,etc.

I heard the windows 10 20h2 is crashing some games and the KB4598291 fix it, so i isntalled it from Windows Update.

I Closed any backgroud apps

RollBack Driver to AMD Adrenalin Edition 20.11.1

Turned off any overclock, configured only GPU FANS profile, the other things are in stock.

Changed All Thermal Paste to one of GELID Thermal Pads(just to make sure it wasn’t temperature, but I did this first of all and the problem still happened, temperature now max 65C.)

Today i gaming for 3 hours and nothing happened, so think fixed it, but i will continue testing an follow this posts.

Specs:
    CPU:Ryzen 1600x + Water Cooler
    GPU:RX 5700 Reference (MSI)
    PSU:Corsair CX550
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 Asgard RGB 3200mhz
    MB: Gygabyte AB350m gaming3
    SSD: 256 Kingspec
    HDD: 4x Samsung 320gb in RAID0

3. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Bruh...

Disable this disable that... everything is conflicting with everything like what's the point of having all the features, buying a freesync monitor and then having to troubleshoot and disable half of the features that you paid for, features that shouldn't be causing problems. All just to make your gpu work.

Also I already tried all of that. I have been troubleshooting for months now. Years even if you include my previous gpu.

Now.
    It seems it's more stable on linux, I haven't had any crashes however it's not really a good option. After I figured out how to install opencl and drivers for the gpu, I noticed it renders two times slower than my cpu. Also it kinda feels slow in blender like it has vsync in the viewport, however I can't say for sure as I can't get an overlay software (like afterburner) to show in blender.

I need to play around more with both linux and windows.

4. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Finally, I have concluded it's the AMD drivers. Played around with my game and godot engine for some time in linux no issues. (Since the game is very simple it goes to 1700+ fps)

As soon as I opened my game back on windows(note: I just did a clean install, so the only things installed are chipset and gpu drivers,browser,blender and godot engine), my screen freezes for 5 seconds and then AMD bug report pops up with: "we have detected a timeout..."

I'm not sure how this all is gonna end up, I will get rid of this card somehow. And yeah, I won't be touching another amd gpu for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You may indeed have better luck with NVIDIA.

One more thing you should try(simple): https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1xzzn4/tdrdelay_10_fixed_my_crashes_since_last_patch/

Guessing should do a system restart after.

6. nathan_asato@outlook

nathan_asato@outlook Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    Me too, no more AMD!!!! Good Luck

7. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
  8. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    One more thing to try: disable PCI Express Link State Power Management.
    Maybe also set power plan to High Performance as well.

9. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I managed to get a 1080 TI (uses 2x8 pin). I've been on it for 5 days now, no crashes, blackscreens or anything.
    Blender doesn't doesn't crash when I try to render an object with a volume material(this used make blender not responding when redering with my previous gpu). And it starts rendering(loading kernels, whatever this means) much faster. And other GPU accelerated stuff works faster aswell.
    I didn't have too much time to mess with blender tho, I will need to test more, but a this point I think it's safe to say the gpu or the drivers just don't like something.

10. Valkor

Valkor Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5700 XT
    Hey guys, maybe it would be useful for you: finally I managed to fix those crappy AMD Radeon driver crashes. What I did:

1) Completely deleted MSI Afteburner app from PC
    2) Updated BIOS to last one
    And also bad overclocked RAM can cause errors with drivers, checked your overclocks again: even one error in 1000% cycle can crash anything in Windows 10

11. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Oh also the crap toon of rgb apps and yes msi afterburner that causes huge issues