3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I was told by the place I bought it from they experience the same temps I do in a enclosed case, which mine is.
    It's summer here so we are having warm days.

I'm moving it out of the 0-11 Mini into a standard 0-11 Dynamic to see if that helps.
    I also removed that crappy side fan, which seems to help when the GPU is vertically mounted, the fan was blowing the hot air back into the card.
    What I did find when I took off that side fan was a lot of oil from the fan itself all around the plastics, so if you got the ichill x4 keep a eye on that.

Inno3D TuneIT software will actually flash the BIOS for you if you have a compatible BIOS file, it won't do that XOC 1000w BIOS that's floating around though.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    You are hitting power limit and that's why you are seeing lower frequencies although you have OC applied

Best BIOS for 2*8-pin GPU RTX 3090 seems is Gigabyte 390W BIOS or KFA2 390W BIOS, I tried both and I personally prefer KFA2 390W BIOS

BIOS flash is quite safe, there are several good guides how to do it, if you don't know how to do it, please ask here

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Turanis and Cave Waverider like this.
  3. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    Hi, I tried the Gigabyte BIOS, but doesn't work well with this GPU in fact 2 display ports are not functional.
    Flashed the KFA2 BIOS instead and all video ports works,
    so tried just to rise PT to 107% with 1900mz on core, the temps rised to the sun (80c) and after few minutes started to termal throtling.
    hitted PT before, termal throtling now XD , with Superposition all seems stable but in Cyberpunk crash..
    with stock BIOS temp were 10c lower and manage to rise max/avg boost 1850 ..and also quieter
    What do you suggest for OC settings? rise the TDP to 390W can help in stability in 1900+? I'm more worried about temperature, but the board can support it?
    I have the feeling that with aircooling all of this is a bit pointless...

suty455 likes this.
  4. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    @h4xor1701 Air cooling a 3090 and increasing any variables will not work out too well, it needs to be under water really to even be considered sensible even under default conditions unless in an open sided case, the heat these cards throw out is not trivial even standard it is 350w, thats a lot of heat to dissipate inside a small box, on Air mine would easily pass 75Deg C unless I limited its speed even under water I can see 60Deg C with a slight overclock when pushing it to the max crucially the loop stays at 37 max

schoolofmonkey likes this.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

That's why I don't use Gigabyte 390W BIOS because it would disable DP ports and I use every DP port plus HDMi

Sadly if you thermal throttle then only solution is water cooling and waterblock or you can try EVGA Hybrid kit which should fit reference PCB

At stock clocks it will crashes Cyberpunk 2077 or with OC?

You can try downvolt GPU, create custom curve with something like 1.0v and 1900MHz and see if you see any difference

Seems this cooler of yours on RTX 3090 literally is not enough for cooling

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    Yeah you are right, but I guess
    in Cyberpunk it crash in OC any setup with over +100Mhz on memory, I tried:
    1850mhz boost core target - it's ok (350w TDP - does better with stock BIOS, more stable avg fps!)
    1900mhz bost core target - crash (370w TDP - KFA2 BIOS)
    I noticed even with "stock like" frequencies with modded bios the card have more termal throttle.
    Other tests done with Superposition confirmed this, but in this syntetic test the GPU is less prone to crash.
    Now I'm running Cyberpunk with stock bios, 1830mhz avg real boost (target boost 1855mhz) and 72c (24c amb. temp) stock TDP
    Graphics setup are 4K Ultra + RT only reflections and shadows + DLSS Quality = 56/61 fps (in the city)
    Next I'll try with inverse metod, downvolting :)

7. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Fully agree with is, been trying anything to get this Inno3D RTX 3090 iCilli x4 cool, bought a vertical mount, moved my system into a standard sized 0-11, now with a custom fan profile it maxes out at 80c@1785Mhz with 80% fan during the Time Spy Extreme stress test.
    Take the side panel off and you'll get 75c@1785Mhz, I did undervolt, but didn't change much other than a stable clock rate.

Got WC coming, but there's a bit of a backlog so I'm stuck on air for now, at least there's more room in the standard 0-11 compared to the mine, wife is getting that case, she only has a GTX 1660 super.

8. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    So I've bit the bullet and decided to get a EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra today.
    2 questions.
    I only have the minimum required PSU, being 750... is that going to be ok?
    And is there a new BIOS I should flash it with once I get it?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If its a good quality PSU that hasnt been pushed to the limit it should be fine.
    I'm using a 9.5yr old Corsair AX750 with my Aorus Xtreme (near 500W card) that was run 24/7 for 8 years!
    It works flawless.

10. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    What WC kit did you buy?
    Can you tell me what settings and voltages do you use for best stable frame rate? I'm looking for more for best avg fps in games.

@Mufflore I have your same PSU, works very well!

11. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Custom loop.
    EK-Classic CPU Water Block AM4 D-RGB
    2x EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
    EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 360 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi
    Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acetal GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 with Backplate
    Going with soft tubing.

This is the under volt table, any lower and it will crash.
    [​IMG]

12. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I have the Alphacool reference block but its being returned as soon as my new Block is in stock as its not the best fitting, one of the backplate holes does not line up so have ordered the Auqacomputer with active rear cooling as well, even under water the rear Ram chips get super toasty and I will be adding a extra 240 Rad to lower fan speeds overall, when playing intense games say Doom eternal 1440 with all the Bells it can rise to 55DegC and the fans get very noisey.

13. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    This is the one I'm getting, it specifically listed the Inno3D 3090, so I figured it'd fit fine.
    https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-...tx-3090/3080-with-backplate-reference?c=20583

14. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090

Attached Files:

15. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Ah ok, wouldn't bother me as long as everything works fine, you don't see it once everything is put back together.. :)

16. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    You cant but it bugs me

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    For money Bykski waterblock is great and temperatures are around 2°C lower than with Alphacool waterblock in same loop, tested two blocks to the date and will be getting Heatkiller, Aquacomputer and EKWB just for testing

For VRAM cooling,I'm using two fans, one is 80mm and one is 120mm and VRAM temperatures are usually in 50's to 62°C as max,not seen higher temperatures on VRAM in gaming or rendering or Folding@home

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have the same card in an O11 XL, and I'm not getting any issues like that, with a 5950x on an Aorus x570 Master.

Can you give me something repeatable to check in terms of settings, drivers etc?

Although I have to admit I agree with the general sentiment that these cards need to be put under water.

19. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I actually moved my system to a standard 0-11 Dynamic, helped with the temps.
    Also undervolted the card to 825mv with a custom fan profile.

I will get a 80c running a Time Spy Extreme stress test with my current settings, haven't tried with stock settings yet.
    I have spoken to the retail store I bought the card from, they have tested one and had the same temps/performance out of the box in a enclosed case.

It's summer here in Australia, so we are seeing 30c - 37c days, but I do have AC.

Stock settings:
    [​IMG]

Custom undervolt and fan profile
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So, my ambient is 21,5C (I have a thermometer for the room right above the PC case, so it should be accurate). This is what I get after ~12 runs of the TimeSpy Extreme stress test:

GeForce.jpg MSI.jpg

I haven't undervolted, in fact the opposite. I get 1770-1805 MHz stable during the runs, with a max of 70C on the core. I am using a custom fan profile but it's usually sitting on the ~60% area. I have an O11 Dynamic XL with 10 Arctic P12 fans in, three intakes on the bottom, three on the side, three exhausts on top and one on the side. The bottom and side intakes are connected to the PCIe x16 slot sensor, and the exhausts to the air temp sensor right after the NH-D15 on top of my 5950x. They were all in the 900-1150 range for this test.

What I see with this card is that it's supposed to have a 370W limit, but Afterburner and GeForce Experience treat it as if it's 350W.