Review: Silicon Power US70 PCIe 4.0 NVMe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Silicon Power US70 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 SSD. It among the best performing NVMe SSDs we have tested to date, rating at 5 GB/sec. Of course, it is an SSD you can seat into any PCIe 3.0 compati...

Review: Silicon Power US70 PCIe 4.0 NVMe

2. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
  3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    How about a couple of comparative tests on intel systems if AMD is supposed to make it faster. It would be nice to see what, if any difference there actually was.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Just a simple question but how are you meant to cool these things if you aren't allowed to remove the sticker?

Is the sticker able to transfer heat over to my mobos M.2 heatsinks?

5. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What a weird remark. There aren't any PCIe Gen 4.0 setups actually working on Intel, so everything halts at ~ 3GB/sec due to lane bandwidth. You'll need to wait until Rocket Lake and further future processors for that.

7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Sorry, but no. It was not weird, or unreasonable. You state the ssd works on PCIe 3.0, so it could have been tested. Not everyone in the market for ssd's own new PCIe 4.0 AMD computers. Some own intel, some own PCIe 3.0 AMD. Seeing how it performs on the majority of systems out there does not seem weird.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I didn't say unreasonable nor did I meant to insult you, but weird I do find it .. why would you buy a PCIe gen 4.0 product and then use it at Gen 3.0. And yeah .. it also works with PCIe Gen 2, ....

There's not going to be a difference other than the SSD cannot peak beyond Gen 3 x4 lanes .... ~3GB/sec. Everything below that metric remains the same / is similar.

9. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I think HH is just trying to save you some money. I admire that.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there are some new drives like sn850 that blow the competition out of the water in random r/w performance,using 3.0 would not affect that.
    I bought a m9pey for its random r/w performance and was getting the same scores on z97 (2.0) as reviews did on z370/z270 with dmi 3.0
    that said,this drive is not sn850.

and his remark was absolutely fine.
    would an intel user see much of a difference using this drive ? that is a good thing to ask.
    seriously,how quickly would that slc cache run out on pcie3 vs pcie4 before you'd be down to tlc speeds ? you think it'd make it woth it ?

from tom's review

so you're looking at 330gb of data max, writing at 1gb/s faster on pci-e 4.0 before it runs out.
    that is about the only scenario where you'll see a difference,and mind you this slc cache will shrink as you fill the drive.at 75% full you'll be left with precious little slc.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021

11. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Silicon Power ssd's are among the cheapest, generally. These may drop to be the cheapest in their class shortly. So seeing how it compares to something like the 970evo on PCIe 3.0 seems to me would determine whether it's saving more money or not.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    No one is going to buy a PCIe4 NVMe drive to try and run it on a PCie3 bus...;) Ridiculous! Nope, you'd buy a PCie3 drive if limited to a PCie3 bus. Besides, I don't think you can--the NVMe bus on my motherboard (x570 Aorus master) autoconfigures to the device--there's no way to test a PCie4 NVMe on my motherboard @ less than PCIe4. To do that you'd have to find a system limited to PCie3 and incapable of PCIe4--stick it in that and run it. Guaranteed to run slower. Of course. NVMe drives do not work like GPUs--you can take a discrete PCie4 supporting GPU with its own onboard ram and it will run as fast on a PCIe3 bus because the onboard ram on the card runs much faster than even the PCIe4 system bus--that's why GPUs today have so much local ram in the first place. On my PCie4 motherboard, when you put the GPU slot into PCie3 mode--the rest of the system-wide bus stays up at PCIe4 performance, and only drops down to PCie3 if the device itself is a PCie3 device (and cannot run on a PCIe4 bus.)

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    considering gen 4 nvmes are the only ones able to saturate a gen 3 bus...... why not?

14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Why not?
    I don't want a 2 TB PCIE 3 drive that is as slow as molasses once it fills up its cache. The WD SN850 blows everything out of the water because it does not slow down in speed like the Sammy 980 Pro does. It's a bit funny that the 960 Pro keeps its speed faster than the newer Samsung drives...