Razer Viper 8KHz Gaming Mouse has HyperPolling Technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm kinda curious about the potential downsides to this considering going above 250Hz gradually introduces some fun CPU balancing acts 500Hz might be manageable put 1000Hz polling can causing some fun issues and oddities.
    Yeah really curious what pushing this even higher might do probably nothing good but what do I know.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1110338-1000hz-mouse-polling-lag-epidemic/

Input lag has to pretty much hamper any gains from going too high on this so ~8 times higher still can't be very useful.

High numbers though, translates to high sales I believe.
    (Exception being when it's for the price tag though. :p )

EDIT: Liking the marketing speak though having a guy that can supposedly tell the difference when we're talking a 1000th of a second or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  3. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That was very interesting, sound too definitively but yeah I would think it'll be a few years at the very least before it's practical though from what it seems like there are actual benefits to say E-Sports and the best possible and fastest updating hardware.
    Plus a whole bunch of possible issues and other problems and ways to try and mitigate some of these, very interesting stuff here.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    20000 DPI all the while i use between 200-800 and tops 1600. What the other 18400 DPI is doing i have no idea.

Corbus likes this.
  6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Same, you don't need it but it's good to have, cause you know, you might land an 8k display or something :p

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's the same price as the 5G Viper mouse.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Back in the old days (CS 1.3, UT99, ...) you had to hex edit usbport.sys I believe and 1000 Hz would cause issues in some games. A lot of people ran 500 Hz for that very reason. On a properly functioning PC nowadays 1000 Hz shouldn't be an issue though.

8000 Hz might reintroduce some of these issues (some game engines are showing stuttering issues), but long term I still thing there's still gains to be had. Keep in mind that lower latency doesn't always have to translate to "OMGZ ITZ LIKE SO MUCH QUICKER!!!". Sometimes it just helps a lot of other things as well indirectly. It still could improve overall mouse input and precision and raising mouse frequency actually also has a mild positive effect on image tearing (due to the ingame camera updating in a smoother fashion when turning, but you need a high speed camera to see this).

I recon short term this won't matter that much though and we're obviously talking diminishing returns at this point. Having the right shape for your hand will probably still be more important than having 8Khz over 1Khz.

(FYI, 8000Khz was already possible on some mice since 2016 using Sweetlow's hidusbf tool. Though it was hit and miss. Some mice are internally capped at certain frequencies, some do 8Khz, some are stuck at 1Khz and others would do 2 or 4 Khz or some would even yield unstable polling rate results over a 1000)

JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Sounds like BS unless he have a monitor with refresh rate of at least 2000 FPS and his neurons can go above the neuron firing speed (normal: 1-200Hz, maximum 200-1000Hz).

10. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    It's not just about input delay, but also (mostly) about visual smoothness. If you have a steady hand and know what to look for, you should be able to tell the difference when using raw mouse input while panning the camera (Like others and I are).

Mouse polling rate and visual smoothness:
    https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=946

Also interesting (flick shots):
    https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=6162

However, since very high mouse/usb polling rates strain the processor, the better approach would be to "sync" the polling rate to the refresh rate of the monitor, or to the frame rate of the graphics card (no tech is currently able to do this, but you can come very close by doing it manually, e.g. 125fps@125Hz@125polling). In the meantime, a proper mouse smoothing filter could offer solace for the non-competitive players (linear interpolation will do, or something more fancy like https://www.flipcode.com/archives/Smooth_Mouse_Filtering.shtml ). Or maybe fully utilize one entire dedicated processor core for input processing, since everything is multi-core these days.

Also, make sure to read Chief Blur Buster's ( @mdrejhon ) articles and comments in the threads on BlurBusters (and on here).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Rapid mouse movement at 8K polling rate is going to kick some CPUs in the nuts depending on the software. Cooler Master's terrible software combined with a 1K polling rate on my i7-4770K back in the day caused the CPU to choke.

12. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The fact that more polling apparently taxes the CPU more does worry me slightly. Although I’m sure this will be worked out, it’s not like in the real world an extra few % CPU usage matters.

Saw a hardware canucks video review and the cursor is actually a little smoother, plus mouse buttons respond quicker.

Not a fan of ambi mice and shape is king, but I’d buy one in a heartbeat if it was a Glorious D- (my current mouse) with 8k polling!

I’m all for any advancement in PC (or console) peripherals, people tend to underestimate their importance I think.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol, not saying its useless, but unless im mistaken, official usb spec dont even allow for more than 500 (2.0) maybe 1000 on 3.x, iirc.
    so unless MB makers are going out of spec, nothing else will transmit/receive and "make use" of anything higher.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffe...o_mouse_input_flawed_whitelist_rinput_144_or/

Raw input is also bugged in some games and actually might feel worse than the old fashioned methods of grabbing input. Surprisingly CSGO is one of them.

There's also this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Diabotical/comments/ffbjss/robustness_of_diabotical_mouse_input_more/

Could be, nevertheless it works on USB 3.0, people have been getting 8Khz to work on some mice since 2016/2017. I'm not sure, but I think the mice also need a high fps (mice have a framerate yes). So on wireless devices they need to ramp up quickly to 8000+ fps as the power saving features often include a heavy reduction in fps when idle.

15. andrewsilverland

andrewsilverland New Member

GPU:
    asus 1070
    but hey they got a fancy new, overpriced, proprietary product. and 8k hz tells me the simple folk will eat that crap up

JonasBeckman likes this.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Corrupt^
    all proper gaming stuff has limited/no power savings, for at least 30s or more, not really relevant for most games, as you will move before that happens.