Epic Games Store 2020 Year in Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EPIC looks back back at 2020 on the Epic Games Store, they saw historic growth in engagement across the board. There are now over 160 million Epic Games Store PC users. Daily active users are up 192%...

Epic Games Store 2020 Year in Review

Noisiv and jbscotchman like this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I won't lie, their sales and free games were epic in 2020.

3. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    People may not like Epic but they did way more than any other company for people who are stuck home without money to spend on entertainment.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Agreed they did release some good free titles of the £30 range for free so hats off to them for that.

I don't really care no more about game launchers, all i care about is does this game on this platform work without issues.

WhiteLightning likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    To be honest, I'm still not impressed. Just my opinion.

KissSh0t and JimmyDoogs like this.
  6. JimmyDoogs

JimmyDoogs Guest

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Anyone else still use steam more? I did beat 3 free games so far but the one's I've wanted to play I usually already own. For me why would I buy RDR2 on Epic when I've used Steam since HL2 came out. Epic is more like a replacement for Humblebundle for me at this point. If Epic really wanted to appeal to gamers there'd be a new Unreal Tournament BR w/ Jazz Jackrabbit 2 drop music.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    In my opinion, your opinion is correct, just my opinion.

mohiuddin and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Years ago steam was very user friendly but now full of crap padding.
    EGS is very simple and user friendly, generous too.
    Though rdr2 i own on RS and 2077 on GOG.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    All those numbers and they still can't get basic stuff right.
    The only way i'll ever use EGS for anything is if somehow they throw enough money at Square Enix and FFVII:R is somehow EGS exclusive. That's the only thing that would get me to cave.
    Everything else I can wait an extra year for.

I otherwise use Playnite for everything.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Epic Games spent $265m on third party titles?

I wonder if the staff working for them are asking the question "Why didn't they hire more people so I didn't have to miss my family during one of the worst times in the history of Mankind?"

Just a thought for the Epic staff out there...in the trenches...getting pooped on by your overlords, no-matter where they are in the world, wink wink.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070

99% of the games I “own” are on Steam. Plus their support for VR is in matched.

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well i bought only RDR2 and maybe one more game there. Played RDR2 like 6hrs(not my type really) and cp2077 came, so I left that.
    Now, I have new 6800xt, so I'd like to see how it works...
    It doesn't. Rockstar launcher either crashes, says verify game data, or says I do not own game. IF FINALLY it runs...well, untill I close game is ok. Afterwards again can't run it.
    And I lost my saves. Cloud somehow too
    So...
    Never ever putting money in it. Never ever Rockstar products. And yes, tried all solutions from Rockstar site, have open help desk case, but so far it suck. 5days of trying, removing launcher files, account data clearing, verifying game data...
    I guess the real pain for them, as I own game, is just connect it and be available not from epic launcher but from theirs.

13. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    IMHO Epic doesn't care much for gamers. Their prio 1 is to draw away gamers from Steam by any means, even if it means they lose money in the short run.

They will continue to shower everyone with presents until they have enough of an audience, then prices and restrictions will go up. Like a dealer with the 1st free shot for you.

In the end gamers will realize they helped growing another bad player into the gaming business. Someone who doesn't care about gamers and will divide players worldwide rather than bringing them together.

xIcarus likes this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    weird
    I reinstalled the os,wiped the drive and all my gta5 progress was there when I downloaded the game again

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I agree with this based on the exclusivity deals they're trying to make. It's the main reason why I haven't spent a dime on their storefront, and I think people should be taking these shenanigans they're trying to pull more seriously.

Epic seem nice to us, the community, but when push comes to shove they won't waste a second before making shady decisions if it suits them. See what happened to Unreal Tournament 4, its history is filled with manipulation and lies.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.

16. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Thank you, Epic! 2020 was less difficult with your help! ;)
    PS: steam fanboys are basically cult fanatics. No matter how bad it is, they still blindly defend the brand. :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    +

So far what Epic have done from a pure player point of view that has no alternative agenda / care or investment in one DD service or another is provided me with a bunch of free games. Yes some big name games have had a limited time exclusivity that requires me to install their DD service but you know what that Icon is right next to my Steam one so takes no more effort to launch. What have Valve and Steam done? Nothing, literally nothing over the last year, stuck to the same p*ss poor milk toast Steam sales,

What HAS Valve done in the past

- Introduced Steam, say what you want about it it started life as nothing more than a pure DRM to help protect HL2
    - Introduced Steam Greenlight, noble idea buried in an avalanche of sh*t, Valve could have curated it but nope as long as every one who wanted to be there paid to be there and paid a cut for each sale they couldn't care less that the talent was being buried under a landslide of sh*te
    - Introduced paid for mods, shall we stick a donate button on our store front page? No let's team up with that master of scummy DLC practice Bethesda and take a cut of the paid for mods, nothing like teaming up with the masters of bug ridden games to take a cut of the money from mods that are being released by the community to fix the bugs!
    - The LAST; after Origin, after Uplay, after GOG, DD service to introduce a refund policy.

Steam fans love to forget that Valve have previous when it comes to being scummy, yet will happily attack EGS for what is perceived to be the things they will do if they gain enough market share.

jbscotchman likes this.