Have you seen this: 2021 Tesla Model X and S Interior and Media gets a fancy upgrade

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    Horrible steering wheel. Its only suited for 180 degree steering wheel turning like in F1 and not for the normal 900 degree.

nick0323, mohiuddin, cowie and 2 others like this.
  3. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    Yep, terrible steering wheel. Plus, it really shouldn't show media on the console screen. You're driving, not watching or changing media in such a fashion (ish).

anticupidon and TheDeeGee like this.
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i went into the showroom here (Tesla is HQ in Palo Alto... for now) and really the gaming jumped out at me. however the gaming mode is disabled from the main screen when the drivetrain is engaged but passengers can play in the rear.
    and yeah the steering wheel to way too faux futuristic, however remember this is a supercar with supercar performance. no-one would ever need to rotate the wheel as one would on a sedan.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not only that, but i always drive in a relaxed position with my arms in my lap.

That's only possible with a traditional steering wheel.

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I also like lap driving, very comfortable and easier on the shoulders/arms.

As for the steering degrees, this car being fully computer controlled adjusts the ratio on the fly, as long as the steering wheel gives proper feedback it should be fine.

All in all I never liked the fighter type of wheel cause of comfort, it would force you however to keep both hands on the wheel which may be a good thing.

The media center should never distract the driver, NEVER. I saw a video of a woman who had a phone mount in her car so she could watch streaming video while driving, her trying to argue she could do both, drive safely and watch video at the same time. But the Tesla shows controlling the rear system for a game, I don't know if it goes further than that.

EspHack likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The distractions are less severe due to all the autopilot and safety features. I'm still against them, but, it's not as severe of a problem in this car compared to most.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You can't. You can only use such media functionality when the car is charging or not moving (park). So when you're supercharging yu can kill some time playing a game, watch some NetFlix etc. I assume the rear seat screen can play media/games at all times though.

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Also, Tesla is really gearing towards Auto-Driving cars. So many features sort of over lap with manual and auto driving.
    I still do not like all the distracting features in a car.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I can't imagine how badly that could go. You have enthusiasts that think they can drive because they play racing games, they buy a mustang (not a supercar) and you see what happens (poor crowds). Now you give that same person a supercar.

Woof.

tunejunky likes this.

11. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    I hope you are being sarcastic. Otherwise the marketing has really hit you.

Agonist likes this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    European version have regular steering wheel, exept if imported.
    the S... what a fantastic car.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    As a massive car enthusiast, and as many of my friends are, we hate the Teslas. Alot.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Steering adjusting? Does it suddenly become round when I'm looking behind me, spinning the wheel for a turn? That's what makes this design so shitty. This is a family car and normal people are driving this thing, backing out of driveways, avoiding the garbage can. (Like my next door neighbor does with his Model S)

I want them to succeed, but Tesla is constantly trying to reinvent car parts that don't need fixing. It will be the death of their epic rise. Their stellar drivetrain isn't all that remarkable and it won't be terribly long (5 years? less?) before I suspect they won't have that advantage over everyone else.

edit - FFS, Elon... I just noticed they removed the turn signal stick altogether in favor of a button on the "wheel". Is the wiper delay still buried in the infotainment screen too?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    oh I'm sure they will sell accessories to fix that wheel, and CCS dongles

16. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Guys you're missing the point, Musk is assuming you'll be playing games not stirring the wheel ;)
    Let the car do the driving :D

17. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There is a slight chance that the steering wheel will not get approved by EU regulations :p Similar to the Tesla Cybertruck.

18. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I really don't think we are ready for full self-driving yet in society. Many rules & laws need to be implemented and changed before that. Maybe in 2030?

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i am a big caR guy the old ones the new ones this car is pretty damn cool i dont feel butt hurt to get blown in the weeds by an electric car at all
    but that steering wheel is just a bad design its been done and scrapped before it will take out your face fingers and hand i dont care how many air bags they put in it.
    try going lock to lock with that ,love the rest but yank the yoke

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I was like you, just try one and you will change your mind about electric car, it is not a tasteless nissan leaf (or renault zoe), and the race version is awesome.
    the S: 1020HP 2.1s to do 0 to 100km/h (same a motorcycle, but with the grip of a monoseat car as all the weight are under the seat) demoniac

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021