5800X temperatures

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Darkiee, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I´m wondering about these temps that this cpu gives.

I´m idling at desktop with 40-45c, 15-20c above water temp.

But stressing it, geez, 85c?
    Manual OC to 4,8Ghz at 1.35V.

Prime lights this puppy to 95c at max.

I have done 2 repastes with MX-4 and now my last is on LM, which gave few degrees of improvement.

So, thoughts? Anyone else having samish issues?

2. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Currently, the 5800X is the hottest of the zen3 CPUs due to having higher peak voltage, single Chiplet where all 8 cores and heat are concentrated and the fact that the chiplet is offset the center of the cpu. Even the best coolers can have have a hard time cooling this. (Some coolers like the arctic freezer rev3 fixes this by offsetting the center of the cold plate to where the die is).

What you can do, however is if you have access to at least the AGESA 1.1.9.0, you must use PBO2 Curve optimizer to perform optimal undervolting(preferrably per core by trial and error) and combine it with PTT, EDC, TDC tweaking. Im also reaching 90+ initially on my 5800X but it dropped my temps ~10C when i tweaked mine while retaining the performance. If by chance you get a golden sample, you will get even lower temps while actually improving clock speed.
    I feel like PBO2 curve optimizer is mandatory for the 5000 series, specially the 5800X

3. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I´m currently at Agesa 1.1.0.0. It´s a beta bios for Msi x470 board. Hopefully they push never soon.

Good video, thanks for that.

And i mean, now i know its not on my end, why the cpu is running so hot. I was starting to question my own skills on putting up a cooler...

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What are you using to read the temperature? if you aren't already use AMD Ryzen Master as it gives an accurate reading.

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    On my board, Ryzen master has a lower temp value on lower to medium-high loads vs other monitoring tools, Full loads specially with AVX and stress tests, Ryzen Master becomes almost similar in temps with other monitoring tools.

6. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I am watching temps with RMaster and HWmonitor, both are reporting same temps.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Mine under a 280mm will hit 75-80 under heavy load, idles about 35-40.

8. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Well, i now have AGESA 1.2.0.0 on my X470 and just by using PBO with negative 30, i´m now running at 4775-4800 all core and 4850 single core.
    Temps are now much more reasonable, 75c under R23.

9. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Just Beware of very high negative values, ive also tried that and my stress tests and benchmarks seems fine but on regular loads and activities its giving weird oddities on windows in my case (but no crashes or BSOD)

Have you tried PBO2 curve optimizer undervolting? because those are my temps on a 120mm AIO with curve optimizer on a tropical country, i believe you can even go lower without losing perofrmance if you tweak it

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    im not finding this curve optimizer option in my bios?

edit: found it under advanced pbo, cheers.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Is a bit old thread but can attest to needing to use the curve optimizer along with PBO. Idle temps after dialing in curve optimizer and using a cpu voltage offset of -0.0125 measure 26~27c with HWiFO64 and 22~23 with Ryzen Master; using a 360 rad. Had to adjust the scaler to 9 before the voltage dropped.