The Medium: Game Performance Below 60 FPS even at 1920x1080 / RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If there was im sure they would come up with it. Both worlds are rendered in the same time which kills the performance.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    seen digitalfoundry footage of console version
    this doesn't look that great

I hope it's a good game tho.
    layers of fear was good.observer was friggin great.currently into blair witch,promising.

3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    In it now with everything on high and RT on and DLSS high at 2560x1440 I'm getting 55-60 FPS on my 2070s. They didn't build a bench tool into the game sadly but I'd say the no 60FPS at 1920x1080 on a 3080 is bunk.

Edit:

It's possible the split screen scenes are causing it. It's going to have to be a science experiment I guess I'll have to play the game to prove.

Reedit:

Just walked into the next room and my FPS went from 55 to 23. So maybe there is something to it. However I turned RT off and it went up to 70FPS so it's hard to say but RT absolutely is killer on FPS more than 7-8 reported by the article.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    DannyD likes this.
  4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nvidia beg to differ.

:D

craycray and DannyD like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not today, no.

build engine does it though, for mirrors.

6. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I heard it's a bit of a walking simulator.

Watching the DF foundry it looked boring. Decent graphics here and there, obviously rendering two scenes, I do wish people would stop overhyping the RTX3080.

None of the games anyone has played for the last year have been nextgen. CPU's have not been pushed, GPU these days only seem to be about REZ.

Raytracing is a great addition to pushing visuals, but i'm sick of hearing about this 4k,8k. It's like the Megapixel talk with phones, utter drivel.

Games need better character models, much better physics and cpu usage, better A.I, most games A.I is awful. Clulelss characters that don't know what to do when your shooting at them. or run into a closed room and they can't find you.(i'm looking at you hitman).

SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  7. Michael Lang

Michael Lang Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    Well I get a little over a 100 FPS with settings maxed out and DLSS at Quality. Im running a 10900k @ 5.2 all core in a MSI Godlike Z490 DDR4000 @ C15 and a EVGA FTW3 3090 Ultra at 2560x1440 so I would say Nvidia show 74 fps is about right. I will say this though the game does dip hard now and then though down in the 40's. Having the res @ 5120x1440 on my G9 and had it locked at 60 it pretty much never went below 60fps but only had it on the G9 for a few minutes since it doesn't support wide screen so switch over to my 32" G7. Also in the video Ive seen post of mine didn't even come close to tanking to 24fps as in the videos.

8. danny69t

danny69t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super 4GB
    Maybe he meant Brexited, i mean Brexcited o_O

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Game doesn't support super ultra-wide screens. Cuts most of the image off the bottom part if one tries it.

Doesn't support DSR resolution it would seem. Doesn't scale when changed on your OSD to the resolution. Game ran fine for a bit on my 3090, but couldn't stand it being stuck at 1080 on my second monitor and not allowing it to go to 4k via DSR.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Playing the GOG version:
    - 3900X "stock" (controller/RAM/Fabric @ 1.9GHz) + TUF 3080 OC (plus manual OC +150/+1000MHz).
    - 1440p @ 144Hz screen.
    - RT on (had to add -DX12 argument to the launch icon after looking up how the hell to enable RT in this game).
    - DLSS on at quality.
    - All settings maxed minus motion blur because frack motion blur, I'd turn off DoF too if the stupid game would let me.

Result? This game is very annoying to come up with optimized settings for, at least at the very beginning scenes; it's hard to tell what the hell makes a difference, changing settings appears to have little to no effect on frame rate for me 5 fps at most. Moving or doing anything is very frustrating, the controls are stiff as it gets making everything you do including going through the menu. At the very start of the game my frame rate is maxed at 140 (my cap) with RT off, RT on at one of the starting rooms can drop FPS to 90 from 140, then 60 from 90 if set to Ultra.

During the first split screen segment I thought I saw the FPS drop as low as 54. There were definitely times it was dropping below 60. The performance sucks balls as expected and the game needs optimization but overall not as bad as some of you might expect considering I have it cranked at 1440p. 60 fps-ish in the heavy double scenes is perfectly playable for this type of game IMO... too bad there are major issues that could be a deal breaker for some:

1 - Those stiff controls are a near deal breaker for me. The input lag combined with ultra slow movement in general in the game make me press so hard on the thumb sticks, no matter how hard I consciously try not to, that I'm in pain in less than 1 hour of playing. The game with an XB1X controller is so unresponsive that it's unacceptable. I can't stress how bad it is, it feels like the input response you'd get from a game running at 15 fps very seriously. It's so bad it's jarring.

There doesn't appear to be a run toggle either, making controlling even more annoying, especially if I want to switch to kb/mouse to save my thumb.

2 - The game crashes, I've barely played it and it's already crashed twice for me when moving between areas.

3 - The game has seriously broken frame pacing up the ass so bad you'd think it's from a major company like Ubisoft or EA. It's bad. Really bad. It's always there constantly making any frame rate feel wrong, even 140 fps. And after crashing the first time and reloading I was getting major frame drop spikes along with the bad frame pacing timing, they were timed together. This game's performance is seriously buggy.

This game needs to be patched ASAP. The Chinese quality frame pacing is like a giant layer of crap covering whatever this game might be. Combined with the thumb destroying, and mind numbing, slow movement that amplifies the heavy input lag, results in what could be a good game being heavily sullied. The input lag needs to be reduced by 4x at the very least and the character's initial movement in response to control input needs to be accelerated by 2x minimum, instead of a very slow animation.

TL;DR - The frame pacing kicks you in the nuts and the input lag and slow animation response times break your thumb.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don’t believe it’s rendering two different worlds just think of it as a two different textures you switch between (with some lighting changes).

12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    3440x1440 it runs at 144 with vsync on, drops to around 65-70 when dual reality engages using dlss full quality.

It's a good game, just bit of a gimmick that's unneeded is the dual reality.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I wish there was some sort of rating scheme for every game's performance, I just cant be arsed to play anything that isnt consistently smooth these days

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Even worse on AMD, the 6900 XTs only as fast as the 3060 Ti

Ouch! :p

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There's more to it than different textures considering the way performance tanks in the dual scenes. There's elements it's definitely rendering twice aside from the main model to cause such a performance plummet. When ray tracing is on it probably has to make the BVH twice as well. But for me RT on doesn't cause any performance difference in dual scenes since it's being limited harder by something other than RT cores in that scenario. In fact I can't even tell WTF RT does in this game, so I've been leaving it off lately.

So far the game is something I really don't like, but I'm far enough into the story that I want to see how it ends. It's one of those.

One element in ANY type or genre of game, that really rustles my jimmies, is not being able to defend yourself and being forced to constantly cower/run/sneak around. This game has been almost exclusive that so far. So that alone has become really annoying.

insp1re2600 and Loophole35 like this.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Isn't the idea for these kinds of games solved with quantum computers? Both states can exist at the same time without loss in performance? Just theoretical of-course.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    RT may only be shadows. I don’t know man. From the videos I’ve seen it should only bet limited by VRAM or streaming in assets. But we all know it’s just a port issue. The game is optimized for the custom RDNA that the console uses so.....

Undying likes this.
  18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Maybe you'd enjoy Ghostbusters video game over this?

19. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    My shelve is full of what could have beens

Undying likes this.
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not sure if I'm missing a joke about just beating up ghosts or a meme or if there is actually a good Ghostbusters game out there.