Why does Xbox Series X seem like an absolute steal to me ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cucaulay malkin, Jan 21, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    been checking the price for consoles,xsx sells at 2250pln here.
    going by tpu's specs,it packs a 12.2TFlop rdna2 card with 10g 320-bit memory and astounding 560gb/s bandwidth.
    comparing to a desktop card it seems like a ~ 3060Ti equivalent (roughly) with memory configuration better than both 3060ti and 3070.
    3070 sells at 2400 msrp here,but currently you can't even buy a 3060ti for that.

In addition you're getting a very power efficient 8/16 ryzen (though not that fast.it's decent) and basically a whole gaming machine.

I'm thinking I might.....

2. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    my estimate seems about right for ps5

[​IMG]

xsx is more powerful tho (12tf vs 10tf,faster memory)
    so it's like you had a 3070 gaming PC (with weaker RT) with a ~r5 3600 cpu evquivalent

selling for much cheaper than even a 3070 alone would cost

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Consoles are always sold undercut. The rest gets siphoned off the user via pricier games (sometimes by a significant margin), or the other services you need to pay Sony/MS for. Long term it will most likely even out.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    thanks for the response
    never used a console before,that's why I'm asking
    not interested in any user subscriptions,just boxed games,that is all.

I'm still having second thoughts.mainly about the cpu.8/16 seems very good,but it's a 3600mhz 1st gen ryzen.it's gonna struggle in the long run if the goal is above 60 fps.
    meanwhile rocket lake i5s look to be mighty powerful for games,even the locked 11500,and I already have 4133 c16 ram to use alongside it.

storage is limited too,and that expansion drive,while super fast,is damn expensive.I love the seamless switching between games feature tho.absolutely love.

not many next gen games atm too.I am waiting for my 3080 to ship,ordered in sept,the waiting time is still long but they ship a few every week,I'll get it eventually.When I get it I'll decide whether to keep it or trade it for a console with a nice profit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    emperorsfist likes this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    As I've said, consoles have been sold under their real price for long now - don't think that the power beneath the case is being give out cheap out of someone's bleeding heart. ;)

Console games have been significantly more expensive as long as I can remember, plus there's been an effort to stamp out re-sells of "used" games. How often you get discounts for digital copies (and in what range), I dunno. If I understand correctly, you also have to pay MS/Sony for internet access (separate from your provider), so that's one service you won't be able to skip on.

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    o_O:eek:
    if that is true then no way.......

7. Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie Member

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    I was going to say because......you cant spend money on any 30 series card or latest AMD? Like most of us who have not managed so far :D

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    no sign of the 3080 I ordered on sept 17th

Mandoscottie likes this.
  9. Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie Member

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    see :) thats why both consoles seem attractive, heheheh be strong pc brethren, it will be worth it.
    im hoping for a 3080ti to appear for around £999 and ill bite.

lol it felt wrong to click like to that post :)

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's actually a ryzen 3700x equivalent cpu... but yeah.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's 2nd gen ryzen, not 1st gen...

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Very downclocked 3700x.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Ryzen doesn't scale very well performance wise with clocks anyways, so i suspect that it wont matter too much for its gaming capabilities :)

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Depends on the game i guess. Having no boost clock on 3700x somewhat does impact performance of the single core.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    True, but games are increasingly just multicore dependent - otherwise my 4930k would be dead in new games xD

16. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    @Dragam1337 Not to start a argument as I know your views now on comments regarding products one doesn’t own...

That said, I really like the Series X in terms of design. I love my PS5 for other reasons (simplicity of design not being them) but the way Microsoft went about creating this conceptually & in actuality panned out really well for the most part.

So kudos to them... I think if I chose a product based off of its sexiness alone it’d be the Xbox. It’s better built to scale for mass production, has a great modular scheme & is very “clean” (or efficient). Things I can appreciate as someone who works with hardware day to day.

Aside from that I’m a fan of the ecosystem too if I’d already been an owner of a previous gen I probably would have just upgraded but it’s easier to just stay in what you’ve already invested in financially. Microsoft does have some great PC/XBOX crossover. You can’t deny to OP’s credit yeah it’s a steal.

If exclusives aren’t an issue or being already invested in SONY I’d personally recommend it over the PS5. They’ll likely be first to the table with certain bells and whistles along the way API-side as well. Far as the hardware accelerated raytracing features supported by RDNA2, I just see SONY lagging behind...
    3rd gen Ryzen according to AMD
    https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/zen-core

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    3.6g allcore if using all 16 threads
    nowhere near 3700x

[​IMG]
    yeah right,clocks don't matter for gaming

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    3700x 3.6ghz all core is slower than 2700x 4.2ghz all core. Clocks does matter and single core boost can make a difference which consoles dont have.

19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    cant say for sure,slower or equal.
    to me it looks like a more efficient 2700x

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    But its not though, both consoles use Zen 2 based CPU's so they contain all the fixes and improvements of that architecture. So clock for clock these chips will still be faster than a first gen Zen or Zen+ CPU. And boost clocks matter HUGELY even for todays games. Like AMD said in their recent keynote, most game engines have a dominate world thread where majority of the processing happens. This is why we see 1/2 cores/threads hitting 100% usage and the other cores/threads either not used at all or in and around 20-40% usage. This is the whole reason Zen 3 architecture went from a 4 core CCX to full 8 core CCX so the cores have full access to the entire L3 cache of the CCX which is the reason for Zen 3's huge gaming performance uplift over Zen 2.

Sure games are starting to use more threads but its still very much in the infant stages, with the new consoles having a much better CPU architecture than ever before and more threads than ever it will eventually start shifting more. But for now single core performance is still king for gaming. Especially for those insane high frame rates.

Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the TF of either console. An extra 2TF's isn't a huge deal and the memory configuration of the XBSX and SS is a nightmare already for game devs. XBSX has a split memory pool with different bandwidths, and so does the SS as well which is even slower. So when developing for either XB console developers have too optimise for this. Whereas PS5 has a completely unified pool of memory at one speed. Making it much simpler to get the most out of. Not to forget but the SSD in the PS5 wipes the floor with the XB and I am not talking about simple read/writes either. The whole coprocessor dedicated too data decompression, the amount of lanes open for data bandwidth is huge. Once devs start to leverage this properly the PS5 will shine and that 2TF difference will go out the window.