Intel is satisfied about 7nm progress

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    yeah, I just dont get the hype. Im a really stupid guy and I wish to be enlightened.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    We all here to learn.
    We all have our level of "stupidity". We are here to diminish it.

3. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    yah, man. Im glad for others, they are past the baby steps.

£240 i5-10600k
    Base Clock 4.1 Ghz Turbo 4.8Ghz
    £300 5800x
    Base Clock 3.8 Ghz Boost 4.7Ghz

its about the same for 6 cores, 12 threads and Intel is simply cheaper. So I really dont get it, how its faster or better. They are the same and one is cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    This is kind of a surface of the things, AMD and Intel are competitors but they are not equal companies in the field of either just the CPUs or just electronics in general. What I mean is, it doesn't matter that AMD has better performing CPU in the same category than Intel, it's not important. Intel lives off a huge contracts to OEMs and other companies, most of the Intel's chips are going to laptops, servers, desktops...etc majority of computers that are ever sold are with Intel CPU and that is what matters. Those few thousand gamers who are going to buy 5600X for their home build because it performs better than i5 are not going to make sizable difference. HEDT, High-end gaming...etc are all things that are hyped about but in reality are the niche of niches and are only mentioned in forum wars, youtube reviews and ofc the press conferences because those are rising share values, but it ends there. Intel has been making bad chips most of its existence and it dominates the market no matter what. AMD is unlikely to raise its market share significantly, no matter what, that also goes for GPUs and so on. AMD is here just as the alternative to Intel, alternative to Nvidia, for someone who intentionally does not want to own Intel product. Everyone else(literally) is going to continue to buy Intel. OEMs ... etc are always going to buy from Intel first.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I think that AMD's laptop market experience in the next few years will equal the current desktop story with AMD CPUs versus Intel today. I'm so happy that Intel is "satisfied" with it's 7nm progress--now all Intel has to do is to start selling 7nm CPUs. Wake me when that happens. And I do very much hope for Intel's sake that it can continue to use its own Fabs since the company has so many billions invested in them and not even Intel can afford to carry its own non-producing Fabs. As each year goes by with AMD the acknowledged global technology leader and Intel once again playing catch-up, Intel will have less and less money to burn as time moves on. "Past performance is no guarantor of future results," as every stock prospectus states. These days, Intel is the "value segment" whereas AMD is top dog. Ironic, isn't it?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I was explicitly pointing out new parts. 1151v3 isn't that old. I'm sure socket 1200 Xeons will show up shortly.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You should @ me next time so I know you're referring to me. I don't get the alerts otherwise.
    As was pointed out earlier though, Asrock (and Asus) have some AM4 boards with ECC support; all AM4 CPUs support it so just go with whatever budget you have. I don't know what kind of stores your country has (all I know is you're European), but sites like newegg.com allow you to filter for ECC and socket type, which makes finding the results you need pretty easy. You could probably do your shopping there to find the board you like, and then buy it in your local country.
    As for Intel: Supermicro, Asus, and Asrock each have socket 1151 motherboards with ECC support around the $200 range. That's a pretty good price for an ECC-compatible motherboard. Actually quite a lot of options, too. There doesn't yet appear to be anything with 10th gen support, but really... there's not much of a difference compared to 9th gen anyway so you're not really losing anything.
    The socket 1151 Xeons are all very affordable, by Intel standards anyway.

In general, I'd advise you go with AMD for this. They don't artificially limit ECC support (even if the mobo manufacturers might) and I'm sure you're well aware you get more bang for your buck.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Regarding stock exchange, you could have made a little fortune since march 2020 with almost every kind of shares, but Wirecard.....

9. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Frames per dollar always matter. Application execution in seconds per dollar matters too.
    They seem to be very loud and sensitive saying empty statements like: AMD is better. Theres a lot of them and it has been spreading with the name ''Ryzen''. So when they report record sales next April, it will actualy be a sizeable difference. AMD has never had customers so attached and hyped to what they sell.
    Market share? You are wrong on that one, it can be googled and is free information. And market cap has been rising steadily for last 2 years its trippled.

Attached Files:

10. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I know it does technically matter, what I wanted to say is that Intel did sell better even if its CPUs were worse than AMDs - by worse I mean slower ofc.
    It's a brand fanboyism, alright.
    Yeah thanks for the clarification, the last time I have checked it was around 20% circa around 2019, just like in your graph - I don't track that stuff often although I should verify any changes before posting. They are getting close, we will see if that changes anytime soon.

Is there any way to verify if OEMs are favoring AMD more now, or is higher market share enough of a marker?

11. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Everything is related to only one thing, their fab partner can't keep up because they got lots of client. AMD might have not bought enough wafers for Q3/Q4 2020, underestimated what could be sold and missing a good chunk of what they could have sold in both CPU & GPU if they had booked more at TSMC early on.
    It cost lots of cash and it's risky but can pay off if you're sure to deliver good products.

12. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    its spreads. '''Loud minority'' may attract more later? I dont know.

Yeah, no worries, friend.
    I dont know about OEM's, might be.

13. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    How do you figure ?

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Gaming benchmarks lots of them.

15. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Intel still best in every game

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Vs Zen2 Yes.

17. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    still better than 5000 series

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Saying white is black doesn't make it black.

Go troll somewhere else please.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    5600x is better hands down,not just performance in game but the whole package - application performance,power,features. it's a stroll for 5600x to take on 10600K

but look at pricing
    https://www.ceneo.pl/93590964
    https://www.ceneo.pl/98430083
    900 vs 1550,should we really compare them ? did people compare 7700k against ryzen 1500x ?

at this point even 10700KF is cheaper and you can buy an i9 for the same price
    https://www.ceneo.pl/93590966
    https://www.ceneo.pl/93704625

that price tag is offputting,and intel is dropping down consistently.

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Im not discussing prices as they are way above msrp and stupid.

Troll said Intel is better (faster in my book) which is not the case at least for now