Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.1.1 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ninja750, Jan 21, 2021.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some of the PowerPlay functionality and this Overdrive API and settings can't be good to keep combined in this way easiest thing to see is how every GPU generation has slight differences in how some of these settings apply and actually affect.
    Going from absolute values to scalars and from the power states to a more free range of minimum or maximum values.

6000 series with Navi20 further changing it to some offset system and while Wattman changes it's layout the naming remains mostly unaltered making it more complicated than it needs to be.
    Driver or bios limits must be a thing too but even without that you have a whole bunch of different systems trying to go through some unified function but with different results and effects.

This must be easier for AMD to develop against but it can't be good practice especially maintaining legacy GPU's and functionality which would likely explain some of the bugs and issues with Wattman and some of the regression in behavior or why some stuff differs in how it works from one GPU generation to another.

Great explanation even if it sounds pretty problematic for how it works but it certainly explains or clears up a few things around some of these little problems and inconsistencies with AMD's software. :)

EDIT: Also confirms a lot of suggestions or theories that have been around as to why some of these issues are happening.
    Would certainly hope to see AMD fix some of this but it seems more likely they might be pulling another overhaul when the next major Radeon Settings Software overhaul and driver build is released.

Could fix or improve some things but could also break or cause other regressions and particularly with the earlier GPU generations and support for GCN hardware.
    (RDNA1 as well really or Navi10 rather.)

Well AMD themselves would be the only ones to know for certain, plus what documentation and available information they do supply likely under various NDA's I would expect to be a thing too.

Nice to see this being supported even so with all of the problems that appear to be involved in trying to work with this system but this certainly shows just how much work has to go into trying to get this supported in software such as MSI Afterburner.
    (And all the testing and hardware involved in that.)

EDIT: Well I'm not too good with explanations as per usual.
    Appreciate all the work going into this, shame AMD tends to break or change this functionality every so often though leading to various complications.

Yeah the act of requesting a change in voltage for example and then some unified system, five generations of GCN and two RDNA and then the actual GPU architecture for these instruction sets and it all has to work.

Not like I would know it's way above my tech knowledge but it can't be optimal at all.
    Everything through the newer Overdrive API after that got unified and having that trying to handle the relevant Power Play functionality for the hardware.

I could be quite off though, sounds like hoping a decades worth of hardware here will all play nicely with the driver API and layers here getting whatever you get for results through this.
    Would explain some of the longer outstanding issues and the time it took for AMD to work out a few of the regressions even if it's not too far back like Vega or Polaris plus the Radeon VII and it's support or lack thereof.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. xandaobh

xandaobh Guest

GPU:
    RX 470
    Trash driver.. playing csgo is trash on this... rx570

watchblocker and itpro like this.
  3. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    In what way?

itpro likes this.
  4. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Also issues with CS:Source, the text is almost unreadable, and crash and lag in Metro Exodus.

5. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Vsync in Metro 2033 doesn't work with this and previous drivers on 6800XT.

6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Similar like itpro said the moment you enable "10-bit Pixel Format“ option Freesync is hell. Normal color depth option with Freesync works fine but in conjunction with 10-bit pixel format setting Freesync is dead.

itpro likes this.
  7. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Works fine here - 10bit 4k panel
    UE590_U28E590D (DP)

...and Free sync no issues with games

Michael Lange likes this.
  8. JRMBelgium

JRMBelgium Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX6800 16GB
    I can confirm that if you overclock the GPU memory in the global profile, you get a black flicker every time you launch a GPU accelerated application ( game, discord, etc... ).
    But if you use the game profile for the OC's, no issues.

HD64G likes this.
  9. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    10-Bit pixel format enabled under Graphics/Advanced settings? Lucky you..
    [​IMG]

10. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Yep, passenger, it is..

Attached Files:

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Not for me on my MSI 5700 XT Gaming X, it causes severe stutter each time fan speed is changed. Applies to both Afterburner and the Wattman "advanced" curve. The percentage slider in Wattman works though.

12. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    indeed, I use argus monitor that allows 0%

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Enabled no working properly isn't the same thing. Toggle means nothing...

14. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Gaming is smooth even when 4k - that's all what counts here!

15. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You could use MPT to control the fan, you pretty much just set it and forget it.

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You could tell some people that you gradient test your monitor and they would still Negative Nancy what ever you have to say, ignore them.

Passus and Montville like this.
  17. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Do you have Ori and the Will of the Wisps?
    i was trying to use any of the last 2 drivers of december and i had terrible FPS on this game...with 20.4.2 i had very good FPS tho

18. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Deleted as per Unwinder recommendation.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  19. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

AMD are aware about the problem and have it in "known issues" secion for a while. So they have different priorities. Spamming developers with the same problem reports is a bad idea IMHO.

Krteq and Watcher like this.
  20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I have not seen or noticed in the "Know Section" that they are aware that their driver is not able to be overclocked, however Unwinder, I yield to your experience as a programmer and have deleted my post.

Regards